What are you doing today?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Nailed the defense! My chair called me within 5 minutes of finishing to tell me I had passed. Now to start the paperwork of submitting to IRB. The sooner I can get approval, the sooner I can start recruiting my subjects.

Went out for a huge celebratory meal. I gave the sausage link to my husband, but I finished everything else on that platter other than one piece of corn.

View attachment 5280
That’s great, but seriously I think that meal would keep me going all week!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Had my second jab. Listened to the pouring rain. Watched all the trees look like they were going to blow away.

Great news; hope you're feeling fine, and with no ill-effects or side effects of a negative nature to contend with.

I know what you mean strong wind, plummeting baroeter, lashing, pouring, rain, trees twisting; have that here, too.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
And what exactly, pray tell, is horchata?

It's a sweet drink usually made from rice, which is soaked and blended with cinnamon, almonds and vanilla extract. If done right, it's a silky sweet drink with cinnamon. There's lots of variations throughout Latin America using different nuts, but that's the basic Mexican version.

I soak rice and cinnamon in a pot of water for 24 hours, and then add sugar, almond milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla. Blend. Push the mixture through a strainer, and then serve over ice in tall glass with cinnamon for garnish. It's a good complement for eating spicy food.

It reminds me a bit of egg nog, but it's not as dense.

One place here makes a horchata ice coffee drink that's absolutely delicious. And, lots of Mexican food places have horchata in those drink holders usually used for lemonades, with a little ice added in to keep it cool. In Mexico, it's not served on the street as much, but it's a solid homemade drink and a good refresher, along with cucumber water and other agua frescas.

Here's a pretty good recipe.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Our chef friend has made it, and he makes a brilliant Tres Leche, he's got a few milk-type Mexican recipes that are awesome. He's a big fan of Mexican food in general, we had a couple of food + tequila throwdowns, hahaha, one time woke up still full, still drunk, a black eye. WORTH IT. :D

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Our chef friend has made it, and he makes a brilliant Tres Leche, he's got a few milk-type Mexican recipes that are awesome. He's a big fan of Mexican food in general, we had a couple of food + tequila throwdowns, hahaha, one time woke up still full, still drunk, a black eye. WORTH IT. :D

There's brilliant Mexican food, and the stuff in places like Mexico City and Guadalajara is just amazing. In Sonora, there's not only tequila and mezcal, but also bacanora, which I really enjoy especially in cocktails based on agua fresca recipes.

With a good hibiscus syrup, a bunch of ice, a shot of bacanora and some sparkling water, you get an amazing drink for a summer afternoon.

I have many tequila stories, some involving the federales, and a episode when we all woke up on an island and panicked before we were told—by an especially amused fisherman—that we could walk back to the beach once the tide went out.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
There's brilliant Mexican food, and the stuff in places like Mexico City and Guadalajara is just amazing. In Sonora, there's not only tequila and mezcal, but also bacanora, which I really enjoy especially in cocktails based on agua fresca recipes.

With a good hibiscus syrup, a bunch of ice, a shot of bacanora and some sparkling water, you get an amazing drink for a summer afternoon.

I have many tequila stories, some involving the federales, and a episode when we all woke up on an island and panicked before we were told—by an especially amused fisherman—that we could walk back to the beach once the tide went out.

You have to tell the one about the federales.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
You have to tell the one about the federales.

In short, a group of especially stupid young men decided to go to Puerto Penasco and get hammered on tequila shots at bar that was at the edge of town past the dunes. Now, there was supposed to be a taxi service to come pick people up, but at one point my buddy got impatient and decided to ask a guy with a truck if he could get a ride.

I was busy talking to girls who were telling me about a huge party they were having at a condo on the beach, and I was determined to get an invite, the address, and an especially cute girl's name and phone number. Then, I realized that my buddy was trying to get into the front of a federal police truck.

Now, you have to remember that the federales drive trucks that include a big roll cage where often several police officers will stand in the truck, often with assault rifles. This was before the narcos were battling police in the streets, so these guys weren't wearing masks and body armor, but they were obviously cops.

And, I watch as my buddy gets into the empty passenger seat, while about four or five federal police officers are looming over the cab, and the driver's got the most "What the actual fuck" expression I ever seen.

I tell the girl I'll be right back. Right back. Don't go anywhere.

I amble over to the truck, and start sweating out every bit of tequila and beer I've had over the last four days. "Buenas noches, senior" I began, and explained in Spanish how I promised my asshole friend's poor put-upon mother we wouldn't lose him. The officer on the truck leaned down, and said that he'd be happy to keep him out of trouble for the night, and I explained that I'd be even happier to take him off their hands, and that I hoped he wouldn't barf in their truck or their jail.

At this point, the rest of our crew of miscreants came out of the bar, saw that I was chatting with the federal police with our friend in the front seat—increasingly melting in the midnight heat—and assumed we were all getting arrested until they heard the officers laugh.

The officers got out of the truck, and waived down the first taxi, and then stuffed my buddy into the back seat. Fortunately for me, the girl ran over and gave me the condo's address, so after we decanted our friend into his bed, I went to a brilliant party and didn't come back for two days.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
In short, a group of especially stupid young men decided to go to Puerto Penasco and get hammered on tequila shots at bar that was at the edge of town past the dunes. Now, there was supposed to be a taxi service to come pick people up, but at one point my buddy got impatient and decided to ask a guy with a truck if he could get a ride.

I was busy talking to girls who were telling me about a huge party they were having at a condo on the beach, and I was determined to get an invite, the address, and an especially cute girl's name and phone number. Then, I realized that my buddy was trying to get into the front of a federal police truck.

Now, you have to remember that the federales drive trucks that include a big roll cage where often several police officers will stand in the truck, often with assault rifles. This was before the narcos were battling police in the streets, so these guys weren't wearing masks and body armor, but they were obviously cops.

And, I watch as my buddy gets into the empty passenger seat, while about four or five federal police officers are looming over the cab, and the driver's got the most "What the actual fuck" expression I ever seen.

I tell the girl I'll be right back. Right back. Don't go anywhere.

I amble over to the truck, and start sweating out every bit of tequila and beer I've had over the last four days. "Buenas noches, senior" I began, and explained in Spanish how I promised my asshole friend's poor put-upon mother we wouldn't lose him. The officer on the truck leaned down, and said that he'd be happy to keep him out of trouble for the night, and I explained that I'd be even happier to take him off their hands, and that I hoped he wouldn't barf in their truck or their jail.

At this point, the rest of our crew of miscreants came out of the bar, saw that I was chatting with the federal police with our friend in the front seat—increasingly melting in the midnight heat—and assumed we were all getting arrested until they heard the officers laugh.

The officers got out of the truck, and waived down the first taxi, and then stuffed my buddy into the back seat. Fortunately for me, the girl ran over and gave me the condo's address, so after we decanted our friend into his bed, I went to a brilliant party and didn't come back for two days.

You know, you really need to write a book. These stories are great.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Nailed the defense! My chair called me within 5 minutes of finishing to tell me I had passed. Now to start the paperwork of submitting to IRB. The sooner I can get approval, the sooner I can start recruiting my subjects.

Went out for a huge celebratory meal. I gave the sausage link to my husband, but I finished everything else on that platter other than one piece of corn.

View attachment 5280
Congratulations!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Went off-the-road today, with a couple of Pubs subs, while the little G was in her standardized testing. Just amazing down The Point, windy, water was rough but clear, sat on the tailgate, ate and relaxed.

Ran it in L4, all electric, it was magic, like creeping along on a different planet, quiet, slow ...

IMG_7775.jpg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's a sweet drink usually made from rice, which is soaked and blended with cinnamon, almonds and vanilla extract. If done right, it's a silky sweet drink with cinnamon. There's lots of variations throughout Latin America using different nuts, but that's the basic Mexican version.
You can always run to the liquor store and get a bottle of rumchata, which is just a rum version without all the work.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Went off-the-road today, with a couple of Pubs subs, while the little G was in her standardized testing. Just amazing down The Point, windy, water was rough but clear, sat on the tailgate, ate and relaxed.

Ran it in L4, all electric, it was magic, like creeping along on a different planet, quiet, slow ...

View attachment 5291

You need to go a bit more werecar with it.

1621562704741.png

Top Bottom
1 2