What are you doing today?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Waiting for a delivery this afternoon, then will do a few chores. It feels good to accomplish things, even if they are small things.

It's been so hot the last few days I feel like it's a big deal I bothered to rinse out my coffee mugs or tea glasses. Today just getting my Instacart order in early --to avoid feeling guilty about having anyone drag groceries around in between threats of t-storms later on-- feels like enough of an accomplishment for the day.

I'm not complaining about the heat after that long winter, just confessing I'm very, very quick to decide it's too damn hot to take my chores list very seriously. There's a reason I live in this supposedly cool climate here, even though I whine when winter lasts through May. My idea of a day that's too hot kicks in around 75ºF.

Back to the pile of summer fare, a couple library e-books are going to self-destruct if I don't finish them in the next three days.

lizkat

Reaction score
Checks out
42668-250x333-Nailmale.jpg

So 1940s...

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
I'm not complaining about the heat after that long winter, just confessing I'm very, very quick to decide it's too damn hot to take my chores list very seriously.
Yeah one step at a time. Sometimes chores can wait a while.

My idea of a day that's too hot kicks in around 75ºF.
That's roughly what it is here today; 22° - 23° - it's what we call "muggy." Stepped outside earlier and it's a bit too much for me.

D

Deleted member 199

Yeah one step at a time. Sometimes chores can wait a while.

That's roughly what it is here today; 22° - 23° - it's what we call "muggy." Stepped outside earlier and it's a bit too much for me.

Dear god man (woman?). Don't ever travel to anywhere near the equator, you'll die of shock.

lizkat

Reaction score
Back in October 2020 when I was going through the "shall I get a new car? What should I get?" phase, I read up on hybrids and looked at various brands of them online, read comments and reviews and then decided that I wasn't ready for that drastic of a change yet. I already knew that there was going to be a somewhat major adjustment to all the technological advances that have progressed through the automobile industry since I had bought my Acura RSX back in late autumn 2005 so decided against a hybrid at this point. Having removed that option from my consideration I moved on to brands and styles, which was much easier, as I was already fixated on another hatchback. Acura wasn't offering any hatchbacks this time around and I wasn't excited about what I was seeing in their models online. The price tags weren't appealing, either! Since Acura and Honda are both made by Honda, it was an easy move to check out the Honda offerings and bingo, there was my hatchback! Sticker shock wasn't TOO bad, another good reason to go with Honda rather than Acura this time around. This may or may not be my last car, but I'm loving her and very happy that I did get her. It was definitely time for my Acura to retire....

I must confess after reading about the new Ford Maverick I might have gone for this thing if I'd been planning on continuing to drive. Nifty size and a small pickup was always my next choice after scouting around for a hatchback. Last time I was looking though, all the pickups were behemoths. This is more like the old Ranger as far as size goes. Nice price too. Good on Ford, I bet it will sell like hotcakes.

U

User.191

I'm past point of getting another vehicle but if that were not the case I'd be in the mode of reminding myself that sticker shock was something I overcame when it was time to spring for the early Macs... i think i paid more for a Powerbook 170 than I did for one of my new-to-me cars back then, and that laptop only had an 80Mb drive in it.

But the price of new cars in general has always been a wonderment to me, so I know I'd have my work cut out trying to talk myself into a hybrid or all electric at current prices. It doesn't help that I bought my fixer-upper house here back in the mid 80s for less than the price of a low-end new car even then.

My whole idea of what is a big pile of dough has always been off kilter that way I guess. LOL somehow it didn't stop me from dropping a stack of money on an iPhone last time out that box. But there's still no rust on my XR.. :love:
I was going to buy me a 'newer' vehicle than my 2001 Silverado, but have decided now I'm just going to drop $5K on the truck to fix all the nuances (including $1K on bodywork), new suspension, second part of the drivetrain repair, new brakes and refresh the internals and the 2008 after market stereo.

It's too nicer vehicle to get rid of otherwise, I brought it new and it's been in a garage for almost all it's life (when not being driven) and only got a shy over 100K miles on it. And since I'll be leaving these shores to head back to blighty in about 5 years it really doesn't make sense to do anything else because I'd probably loose over $10K over 5 years on any used vehicle I buy.

U

User.191

Spent yesterday (4th) at my mothers, we watched some Stingray from the 60s.

Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet were my shows growing up but Stingray is just as good.
I was a Thunderbirds gal - and then UFO and it's spiritual followup Space:1999. Captain Scarlet, Stingray and Joe 90 were others I enjoyed, but it was also Thunderbirds for me.

Still remember avidly reading the TV Times back in my youth to watch when the shows were on - back when they used to have the little B&W pictograms to show what sort of TV show it was!

Then there was "The Tomorrow People" - man that show had me hooked! I still remember the opening credits and was ticked pink to find someone had placed a few episodes on YouTube...

U

User.191

I always had the hots for Colonel Virginia Lake..

1623177885632.png

Still do - my oh my - those eyes.

These day's folk would probably know the actress - Wanda Ventham - as Mrs Sherlock, being as she is Benedict Cumberbatch's mum...

(Fun factoid, the gentleman who played Sherlock's father in the recent BBC series was indeed his real life father, Timothy Carlton)

D

Deleted member 199

UFO is terrific, such great 70s design, incredible miniature work, some excellent weird/dark moments.

Plus this ...

View attachment 5906

View attachment 5907

Oh yeah, it's on Amazon Prime too!

I always had the hots for Colonel Virginia Lake..

View attachment 5910

Still do - my oh my - those eyes.

These day's folk would probably know the actress - Wanda Ventham - as Mrs Sherlock, being as she is Benedict Cumberbatch's mum...

(Fun factoid, the gentleman who played Sherlock's father in the recent BBC series was indeed his real life father, Timothy Carlton)

well I guess we know what you two will be doing for the rest of the day.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The roof is done. Looks amazing and cost free :D

Roof guys did a solid job, that's some rough work on a roof in June in Florida. Gave 'em all $20 since we had some cash.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Since I seem to have developed an infection in my right eye (hoping it's just an infection and not something more serious), I rang up the Ophthalmologist's office this morning and have an appointment for Thursday morning to get it seen about. At first I thought it was just an irritation, an allergic response or that maybe I'd inadvertently scratched the eye, maybe in my sleep. However, this has gone on for a few days now and was not improving. This morning when I saw that the eye was quite red (irritated blood vessels, apparently) I decided it was time to call in some professional help. I am pretty sure that this is not garden-variety "pinkeye" or conjunctivitis. It is occurring in my "good" eye, which already has a slowly-developing cataract on it, and of course there are other age-related issues that this could be as well. Oh, isn't it just so much fun getting older!!) Also after my last regular eye exam a while back the doc had me go through a special test because he was concerned about something which apparently at that time didn't look quite right but still fell within normal limits on the test. Unfortunately the followup appointment scheduled for six months after that never happened thanks to COVID-19.

So this has been annoying because it's keeping me off the computer somewhat, and also because it is interfering with my photography, really at a bad time since I've got this lovely new lens with which to play and explore! Oh, well, it'll all work out. Today I did run some errands partly because they would keep me away from the computer for a while and also because at least a couple really needed to be done. Today was our Democratic Primary for winnowing down the candidates who will be running for the office of governor come the actual November elections. I was a little concerned that maybe people would take a look at the red eyeball and be freaked out, but no one with whom I interacted seemed to notice or if they did they didn't say anything.

ETA: Yay, just checked the results and two of the people I was supporting are in the game now for sure! Hooray! One is a former governor, actually, who had served just one term and now wants to get back to the office again......

People around here in my area (Northern Virginia suburbs of DC) are still wearing masks in the stores and in the banks and in the library.....I think that even though restrictions have been lifted a lot of the merchants and other businesses are sticking with the mask requirement for everyone for a while longer for the entire community's safety, and that is fine with me. Sure, the mask is annoying but it is also a kind of "security blanket" and feels safer to wear in public places than it would be not wearing one. If we had to provide proof of vaccination status that would be one thing but we don't, so there is no way for merchants or any of us to know who actually has been vaccinated and who has not.

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Hope the trouble with your eye is temporary and subject to a good fix without a lot of hassle.

On the Virginia primary: was thinking today I'd be torn if I had to vote in it, McAuliffe is such a prolific fundraiser but tbh I am not a fan... unless he can win. Ugh, there, I said it. Honestly I dislike how I'm getting any more without a decent set of Republicans on ballots up and down the ladders in the USA. The hold-my-nose option can happen now and then to anyone of either party of course, but it gets old after awhile realizing there's no way in hell I can vote for a Republican even if it's a town clerk who does a good job. And I want more Dems like Stacey Abrams, or the 2 recently elected GA US Senators, Ossof and Warnock.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Terry McAuliffe did win this round; Mark Herring also won this time around, too, to be the candidate for Attorney General. McAuliffe is indeed coming to this with a history of being an adept fundraiser along with also having been a fairly well-respected governor his first time in the office, but he will be facing challenges from a Republican guy who is a multimillionaire who will have no problems paying for whatever he needs. It's going to be an interesting election in November! One thing the Post noted is that turnout was fairly light. It has been a hot, steamy day with clouds coming-and-going and suggestions of storms which never happened, and probably some people had specific reasons not to get out and vote. I know I briefly hesitated because of my eye issues (thankfully I can see OK, but I was still concerned about driving with this situation). In the end, some things are just too important to let slide by, and something like this Virginia Democratic gubernatorial primary certainly falls into that category. The polling place used to be at the high school right across the street and we always used to just walk over there, but now it's a few streets away, no big deal, but driving there is necessary. At the time of the presidential election of course more opportunities to vote early were offered, too, and I was able to vote at the local branch of the library, which was really kind of cool. This time early voting was offered but I didn't feel I needed to do that, I could just wait until the regular day to go to the regular polling place.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
We're not heading back down to Virginia till August. Expect craziness when we return. Haven't heard a peep from friends in Virginia, so I knew McAuliffe would win; he's a prolific fundraiser and a known quantity. I was rooting for Jennifer Carroll Foy as the seemingly most progressive candidate. I'm also biased as she was instrumental in a successful fundraising dinner for a cause I was tangentially involved with last summer.

D

Deleted member 199

However, this has gone on for a few days now and was not improving. This morning when I saw that the eye was quite red
Yep don’t fuck around when it’s your peepers.

I had similar symptoms a few years ago, turns out I’d got a fleck of steel caught in the surface of my eye.

having it removed was an interesting experience too - hopefully yours just needs antibiotics or similar.

Top Bottom
1 2