What are you doing today?

D

Deleted member 199

If it reaches 30 in the UK that is considered a very hot day and seeing as we are not used to that sort of heat, it’s significant for us. I think part of the issue is very few places have AC too as it rarely gets that hot and only for a handful of days a year. That makes it more unbearable.
Oh I'm aware of the phenomenon. I've been hearing about English "30º heat waves" since I was in high school. It makes no more sense now than it did then.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I love that you make it very clear you have a preferred sibling, but still try to be polite about it.

I have no such 'polite' term for my brother. A good friend and I both have adopted the same name for our respective brothers, based on the astonishingly stupid things they do: Bilo, (co-opted from Borat, if that wasn't obvious).

Never heard of Bilo, because I haven't watched Borat.

That is the problem with such specific cultural references; they require comprehension of the context - which needs to be a shared context and comprehension.

D

Deleted member 199

Never heard of Bilo, because I haven't watched Borat.

That is the problem with such specific cultural references; they require comprehension of the context - which needs to be a shared context and comprehension.

I'll remember to just refer to him as "idiot brother" rather than "brother Bilo" if it ever comes up here. I don't expect that's likely until things start happening with us moving back though. I hadn't seen him in person for about 5 years before I left Australia, and that was nearly 9 years ago.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Oh I'm aware of the phenomenon. I've been hearing about English "30º heat waves" since I was in high school. It makes no more sense now than it did then.
It probably would make sense if you actually experienced one. Adapt to the local way of life and the normal local temperature ranges, then get hit with a “30° heat wave”…

Pray that you never do experience such a thing! :mrgreen:

D

Deleted member 199

It probably would make sense if you actually experienced one. Adapt to the local way of life and the normal local temperature ranges, then get hit with a “30° heat wave”…

I'm not suggesting the people there don't feel a bit warmer than usual. I'm suggesting that calling 30º 'scorching', is silly, just like calling 15ºc "freezing" would be silly.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting the people there don't feel a bit warmer than usual. I'm suggesting that calling 30º 'scorching', is silly, just like calling 15ºc "freezing" would be silly.

It’s not silly within that region though, just perhaps when discussing outside of those regions. If you say ‘scorching’ here, people can relate but obviously we don’t compare to other parts of the world where it undoubtedly gets much hotter.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score

Indeed lol. We Brits complain about the weather whether it’s hot or cold. We can just never enjoy why we have. If it gets to 30 here we say scorching or boiling and it’s completely relatable to other Brits. Maybe not so much when those temperatures are considered cool in other parts of the world though but then it’s difficult to compare when it’s never going to get that hot here [emoji2957]

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Indeed lol. We Brits complain about the weather whether it’s hot or cold. We can just never enjoy why we have. If it gets to 30 here we say scorching or boiling and it’s completely relatable to other Brits. Maybe not so much when those temperatures are considered cool in other parts of the world though but then it’s difficult to compare when it’s never going to get that hot here [emoji2957]

Reminds me of how a friend from Norway, who - some years ago - spent Christmas in our isles, and cried with laughter at the references to the "Arctic conditions" that were on the way, according to the weather forecast.

"You don't know what Arctic means," was the succinct explanation, expressed between gusts of helpless laughter.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Reminds me of how a friend from Norway, who - some years ago - spent Christmas in our isles, cried with laughter at the references to the "Arctic conditions" that were on the way, according to the weather forecast.

"You don't know what Arctic means," was the succinct explanation, expressed between gusts of helpless laughter.

Absolutely lol. Half a foot of snow will bring Wales to a halt and much like half a centimetre brings London to a standstill [emoji23]. The beast from the East is probably a mild summer in some parts of Norway by comparison.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Seriously irked (was about to write "pissed off", then belatedly and happily realised, no, this isn't MR, and yes, while I can - of course - write this, and give voice to frustration by triggering taboo expressions - secondly, perhaps, I shouldn't - as in setting a bad example and all that as a mod, er, ....um.)

Anyway, my internet crashed during my French class (okay, the last twenty minutes) tonight, but was out for two hours......grrrr.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
You want to know what hot is? I'll tell you what hot is. Hot is when you have a perpetual case of swamp ass 24/7, and no matter how many showers you take, you always feel sticky and clammy.
Believe it or not I've been to hot places. Florida, Georgia, Barcelona etc. But just like very cold countries are set up to deal with snow and ice better than we are in the UK (where typically we get snow on a few days a year), you guys have a better set up for heat. AC in homes and just about every building. Plus its unusual to travel on foot anywhere there. Here less than 1% of homes have AC. We can't even use it in the office due to Covid this year.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Seriously irked (was about to write "pissed off", then belatedly and happily realised, no, this isn't MR, and yes, while I can - of course - write this, and give voice to frustration by triggering taboo expressions - secondly, perhaps, I shouldn't - as in setting a bad example and all that as a mod, er, ....um.)

Anyway, my internet crashed during my French class (okay, the last twenty minutes) tonight, but was out for two hours......grrrr.
Sacrebleu!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
sacre-300x291.jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I can see you with the bread and the wine. The beret and the moustache not so much!

Bread, wine, and yes, (quelle horreur) cheese.....are all sadly lacking in my fridge or larder at the moment.

This deficiency must be remedied.

Granted, I will readily concede that the moustache and the beret aren't a part of my normal....er, costume, or even disguise (that conjures up thoughts of Monty Python's Life Of Brian).

Actually, I remember first seeing Life Of Brian - one of my favourite movies - with Other Brother - two earnest teenagers sipping orange juice in a pub where it was shown - quasi legally - having busily cycled in to see it at short notice (and heard about it, in the sort of liberal arty circles that we frequented, that it would be shown sort of illegally but not quite legally in a pub with links to the arty and theatrical crowd, whereupon we both cycled into the city, locked our bicycles, entered the pub, bought orange juice, and watched Monty Python, everyone else was drinking something more robust), at home, of course, we were allowed to drink, my parents encouraged us to join them with wine over dinner, believing that encouraging kids to sip wine in a civilised (French) manner was both civilised and cultured - but we didn't do the pints-falling-off-bar-stools as teenagers - that came later, much later, a few years into life at university...

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2