What are you doing today?

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Any chance of a (your mother-in-law's) curry recipe?

I love - just greedily adore - a good curry......

Har!! She will never share anything with me. She uses some curry package as a starter, but supplements it with a mix of her own. She has two or three buckets/pails in the kitchen that has mystery ingredients in them. The key is the slow cooked short ribs that she coats with a dry rub, and the veggies that are stewed in one of her stocks. She often makes stocks and other similar stuff for cooking throughout the month. Especially with the current pandemic.

One summer I gave her a recipe for potato salad after talking about it so much with the hubby (it was from my grandmother after I begged her to write down her recipe). She went crazy and wound up making 6/7 versions of her own that summer. All good and all kept from me.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Where in Taiwan is she from? I only lived there for two years (Taichung) and don’t remember ever having curry. I have lots of favorites though.

She's from Taichung, but lived a bit in Nantou once she married my father in-law. They moved back to Taichung to raise their kids (my hubby is the youngest of two sons). When they went back twice last year they stayed in Taichung, but were planning to travel again this year with stops in Nantou and other counties/cities.

Since the hubby is on sabbatical we were thinking about a possible trip to Taipei Spring/early Summer 2021. Those plans are gone now.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Pouring outside.

Well, @ronntaylor, if any curry recipes do happen to fall off the back of a proverbial truck (or lorry), there is at east one member of this forum who will happily and greedily transcribe them.

In addition to all of the historical and political folders on my desktop, there is a fat folder simply called "recipes"; actually, my two brothers and I share recipes, a practice we started (and my mother - had she been able to appreciate and understand what was happening at the time, would have been delighted, and not only because she loved her food and retained a healthy, greedy appetite and enjoyment of food until the day she died) when my mother developed dementia, and we were trying to come up with meals that we know she would especially enjoy.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
i still need to get it cleaned up so i will come back on and off over the next few weeks, but basically im a new resident of the Great Prefecture of Hokkaido
Sounds very exciting - and very beautiful and relaxing.
She's from Taichung, but lived a bit in Nantou once she married my father in-law. They moved back to Taichung to raise their kids (my hubby is the youngest of two sons). When they went back twice last year they stayed in Taichung, but were planning to travel again this year with stops in Nantou and other counties/cities.

Since the hubby is on sabbatical we were thinking about a possible trip to Taipei Spring/early Summer 2021. Those plans are gone now.
Very cool! My brother, his best friend, and their wives had tickets to go to China in April. His best friend is from China and my brother remembers nothing from our living or traveling in SEA, so he was looking forward to the trip. And then Covid. Fortunately they had trip insurance.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The snow is mostly gone and according to (that lying) Alexa, temps should reach about 55 f.

If so I need to clean and prepare the lawn mowers for their long winter’s nap.

Of course I need to push my mouse around the desk a bit too.

Ah, I knew this snow came from SOMEWHERE. :cool:

What I'm doing today --aside from suddenly thinking about curried cauliflower thanks to assorted other notes in this thread-- is hoping that "unsecured objects" from elsewhere don't come flying into my domain from the northwest... the beta tests of snowfall by the gods of winter continue unabated at the moment, with the added fillip of a wind advisory.

Hereabouts above 1500' altitude in the Catskills and Poconos ranges, gusts of 50mph are forecast until 7pm. Well that sounds like enough of a lift to put the accumulating white stuff over the stone wall and well up into the meadow before the high ridge south of here blocks further motion... so the rabbits will be out tomorrow looking at my lawns as breakfast material. It's so weird to look ahead then and discover that by Friday we're not only back to Indian Summer but about to break records with 70ºF and higher in the region. To that, even though I love winter, it's a bit early for serious snow so I will welcome a week or so of balmier weather. Sure hope the rabbits will do enough of a job on the grass to preclude my having to shell out for one final mowing, since the guy already came around and mulched the leaves.

Meanwhile the county road crews get to run their own beta tests today of how well they've reassembled plow blades to the sanding trucks. They've been by about three times today already. Fun times abound... hope some of this stuff melts off tomorrow for those having to vote in person.

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
Ah, I knew this snow came from SOMEWHERE. :cool:

What I'm doing today --aside from suddenly thinking about curried cauliflower thanks to assorted other notes in this thread-- is hoping that "unsecured objects" from elsewhere don't come flying into my domain from the northwest... the beta tests of snowfall by the gods of winter continue unabated at the moment, with the added fillip of a wind advisory.

Hereabouts above 1500' altitude in the Catskills and Poconos ranges, gusts of 50mph are forecast until 7pm. Well that sounds like enough of a lift to put the accumulating white stuff over the stone wall and well up into the meadow before the high ridge south of here blocks further motion... so the rabbits will be out tomorrow looking at my lawns as breakfast material. It's so weird to look ahead then and discover that by Friday we're not only back to Indian Summer but about to break records with 70ºF and higher in the region. To that, even though I love winter, it's a bit early for serious snow so I will welcome a week or so of balmier weather. Sure hope the rabbits will do enough of a job on the grass to preclude my having to shell out for one final mowing, since the guy already came around and mulched the leaves.

Meanwhile the county road crews get to run their own beta tests today of how well they've reassembled plow blades to the sanding trucks. They've been by about three times today already. Fun times abound... hope some of this stuff melts off tomorrow for those having to vote in person.

Send the quilt and I will stop sending snow.

No quilt. No peace.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Salivating thinking about eating my mother in-law's curry in a bit. The smells are fantastic

Where in Taiwan is she from? I only lived there for two years (Taichung) and don’t remember ever having curry. I have lots of favorites though.

I feel like I really got lucky in my extended family... a nephew's marriage brought me some in-laws from Penang and Taipei... best of a couple worlds of great food. And yeah, I get only the names of the dishes, not the exact recipes. It's been a lot of fun trying to guess at missing ingredients though.

Send the quilt and I will stop sending snow.

No quilt. No peace.

Be careful what you wish for. Someone kept asking me for a casserole hotmat once and I finally made one with an appliquéd message on it: PITA. So he writes back and says thanks for the hotmat but we never bake our own pitas, how about one next time sez BISCUITS. I emailed a link to Urban Dictionary and suggested he look at the first definition for PITA. Heh, that worked out well for me actually, he sent me a bundle of 10" squares of gorgeous batik fabrics with a note that said "My wife says this is what they call a layer cake in your line of work". True story.

Meanwhile here's a tip on possibility of promo rate if one cancels the WSJ... they offered me a lower rate when I went to cancel a $20/mo sub.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Before returning to my French homework, I ventured out (between hailstone showers, another is threatening, under a lowering, charcoal sky, as I write) and managed to secure the last loaf - a brick like thing - of multi-seed brown bread in a local bakery, which should see me sorted on the bread front until I manage to get in to the French bakery later this week.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I feel like I really got lucky in my extended family... a nephew's marriage brought me some in-laws from Penang and Taipei... best of a couple worlds of great food. And yeah, I get only the names of the dishes, not the exact recipes. It's been a lot of fun trying to guess at missing ingredients though.
I learned to cook while we were in Taiwan, so there are a number of dishes that I make that are totally local and I couldn’t give you a recipe if I tried. It’s just the way we made it.
I’m anxiously trying to stay focused on work. Tomorrow is D-day. I worry Trump will win. I don’t trust polling and I know they will do all they can to keep people from voting. If he loses, we’re in for a seriously crazy times.
You and me both. My daughter is ready to take Wednesday off work. Concentrating on anything right now is insanely difficult.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Just got yet another text from a political organization urging me to vote..... Sheesh!! If nothing else I will be so glad when the election is over so that these darned messages will STOP!!! I voted already, now leave me alone!!! Yes, definitely some anxiety here about tomorrow and what will happen, what might happen, etc..... The DC area is bracing for whatever comes.

In the meantime it's cold and windy, but nice and sunny here. I spotted the Hooded Mergansers out on the lake and hustled out to the deck, camera in hand, long lens attached. I haven't processed the images yet, though. Earlier in the day I got a few shots of Morrey, one of our resident cormorants, basking in the sunshine as he explored our pier. I have learned that no matter what I'm doing, when I see something interesting like that out on the lake or the pier, to grab the camera and get out there and grab some shots, because so often the subjects decide to disappear shortly thereafter. Looks as though the Hooded Mergansers are settling in nicely for their wintertime residency with us, though....

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just got yet another text from a political organization urging me to vote..... Sheesh!! If nothing else I will be so glad when the election is over so that these darned messages will STOP!!! I voted already, now leave me alone!!! Yes, definitely some anxiety here about tomorrow and what will happen, what might happen, etc..... The DC area is bracing for whatever comes.

In the meantime it's cold and windy, but nice and sunny here. I spotted the Hooded Mergansers out on the lake and hustled out to the deck, camera in hand, long lens attached. I haven't processed the images yet, though. Earlier in the day I got a few shots of Morrey, one of our resident cormorants, basking in the sunshine as he explored our pier. I have learned that no matter what I'm doing, when I see something interesting like that out on the lake or the pier, to grab the camera and get out there and grab some shots, because so often the subjects decide to disappear shortly thereafter. Looks as though the Hooded Mergansers are settling in nicely for their wintertime residency with us, though....
I'm sure I've been getting 15 or more texts/emails from the Biden campaign, it's insane.

Good for you for getting out and catching those shots while you can.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
More than once I've been about to make my morning coffee, looked out the windows and there's something or someone out there so compelling that I promptly rush to the armoire and grab the camera and whichever lens is needed, or sometimes just pick up the RX10, which I leave sitting out for just such situations, and get myself and gear out to the deck pronto in order to capture whatever subject(s) caught my attention. The coffee can wait....the wildlife out there can't and won't! LOL!

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
I learned to cook while we were in Taiwan, so there are a number of dishes that I make that are totally local and I couldn’t give you a recipe if I tried. It’s just the way we made it.

You and me both. My daughter is ready to take Wednesday off work. Concentrating on anything right now is insanely difficult.

I have a fine bottle of wine waiting for Biden’s win and a couple of cases of cheap wine, two bottles of vodka, bourbon and rum to cover the other possibility. Should get through though the election. :ROFLMAO:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
OMG - they are getting me crazy. And the requests to remind your friends to vote. Dear gods! I don’t know anyone who hasn’t already voted. I figure the polls will be empty tomorrow. Just stop texting me already!
I have a fine bottle of wine waiting for Biden’s win and a couple of cases of cheap wine, two bottles of vodka, bourbon and rum to cover the other possibility. Should get through though the election. :ROFLMAO:
Let’s hope you can pop the cork on the good wine.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Pouring outside.

Well, @ronntaylor, if any curry recipes do happen to fall off the back of a proverbial truck (or lorry), there is at east one member of this forum who will happily and greedily transcribe them.

In addition to all of the historical and political folders on my desktop, there is a fat folder simply called "recipes"; actually, my two brothers and I share recipes, a practice we started (and my mother - had she been able to appreciate and understand what was happening at the time, would have been delighted, and not only because she loved her food and retained a healthy, greedy appetite and enjoyment of food until the day she died) when my mother developed dementia, and we were trying to come up with meals that we know she would especially enjoy.
My cousin Leslie got our Great Grandmother and Great Aunt Jo-D to finally allow her to write down some of their recipes. She had to write down the instructions using her own shorthand and forget about exact measurements! Lez also discovered our Grandmother's recipe box and took photos of a few cards before Grams snatched them away.

We keep saying that we're going to create a family recipe album while we still can.

I'm going to try to get my MIL's curry recipe somehow. I'll figure out a way to bribe her. She's been very nostalgic the past few weeks. If they could, they would be in Taiwan right now. She wanted to fly there Mid-January when COVID-19 was starting to wreck havoc on the world. She predicted that it would be awful here and wanted to be "home" for the duration.

Top Bottom
1 2