What are you doing today?

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I feel like I really got lucky in my extended family... a nephew's marriage brought me some in-laws from Penang and Taipei... best of a couple worlds of great food. And yeah, I get only the names of the dishes, not the exact recipes. It's been a lot of fun trying to guess at missing ingredients though.

2nd time meeting my future MIL she said she would reward me for assisting in taking a ton of food to visiting Taiwanese students: a heaping bowl of "Oyster Noodles" that she was finishing up. It was several minutes later that I discovered that it's basically "Chinese chitlings" which I told my then bf I could never eat. He said just accept the bowl and I'll eat it when she leaves. Of course she anxiously waited for me to try the dish and to my surprise I freaking love them. It did help that she actually does include oysters in them and that the other "oysters" are super tender and flavorful. I just pretend that they're not intestines as I wolf down two or three (or FIVE) bowls when she gets the urge to make a batch.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Woke up late for followup appointment with my fav doc. Rushed to the LIRR and hopped on the 8:12 as it was pulling in. Nice 20 block walk from Penn Station to Doc's (with the express intention of bragging about getting exercise in on the way to see him. "2.25 miles of walking already Doc!"

After getting some mixed news from him (nothing too bad, but nothing totally good either) we went straight home to enjoy coffee and a muffin. I wanted some apple pie, but deferred to the hubby's warning. An intended 15-minute nap turned into a deep sleep. Preparing for a longish speed walk around the local park even though I've already logged ~5 hours of walking.

But first, a call to Grams to check on her. She's anxious to see The Mango Turd voted out tomorrow. And anticipates that he will need to be taken out screaming and crying on January 20, 2021.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Meanwhile here's a tip on possibility of promo rate if one cancels the WSJ... they offered me a lower rate when I went to cancel a $20/mo sub.
@lizkat the NYT did the exact same thing to me last year. i thought it was amazing to learn they do this. i never thought they did such a thing. at that time, the only way to cancel was to actually talk with a person. so i had to call in from japan. the cost was something like USD 4 per week i think. i said i didn't want to pay that much for digital subscription. and (without "checking with the proverbial manager") he nonchalantly said if the subscription were USD 2 per week would that be ok. i said yes.
i think about that experience from time to time.
i think they were smart. doing real time marketing/price level intelligence.
im thinking that in addition to the NYT i also need to WP as well.
the WP is just crushing it in terms of interesting investigative journalism.
thank God for the free press (even if free doesnt mean free for us).

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Found it surprisingly difficult to concentrate on my French homework and prep and revision in advance of tonight's French class.

Won't deny knotted stomach and gnawed nails in advance of tomorrow.

I get that feeling. I was going to make a spicy take on some snap peas, cauliflower and peppers tonight, but in the end I went for unadorned comfort food and fished out a can of cream of chicken soup from the back pantry. Go figure. I have a cast iron stomach but had no interest in making the supper hour an adventure in the kitchen tonight, and might limit my movie rewatch this evening to that delightful short about a baby sandpiper, I think it's just called "Piper".

Now tomorrow I plan to celebrate whatever there is to celebrate, including the simple fact that at least we've survived to try to vote this guy Trump and his atrocious collection of grifters out of the White House. I'm making fake pizza for breakfast,adherence to sound nutrition will go downhill from there... and hang the calorie count by end of tomorrow night!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Rose late (not least because it will probably be a long enough night), attended an online meeting and am now sipping coffee and attempting to distract myself (but not sufficiently to address my French homework).

Later this evening, I know that I will be glued to the news.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I rose a little late today as well, and the very first thought in my mind was, "today's THE DAY!" I expect that I'll be up into the wee hours or at least until there is some indication of the way this thing is going to turn out. I still vividly remember. my shock and utter dismay at the results back in 2016, and I sure as heck don't want to go through THAT again..... Of course this time it would be much, much worse.

lizkat

Reaction score
I rose a little late today as well, and the very first thought in my mind was, "today's THE DAY!" I expect that I'll be up into the wee hours or at least until there is some indication of the way this thing is going to turn out. I still vividly remember. my shock and utter dismay at the results back in 2016, and I sure as heck don't want to go through THAT again..... Of course this time it would be much, much worse.

I expect to stay up prowling around online for info on assorted precincts in assorted states that longtime political strategists have tagged as worth looking at this year, usually for some combo of reporting early and for having a traditionally stable track record one way or the other. Even such outposts may or will be short tonight of absentee ballot information, however, so the ones of real interest tonight will be the ones where the past count of mail-ins has been small, the rules about deadlines for absentee votes being received in house are close to Election Day, and in states where those votes can be counted and info released starting early on election morning.

Really I'd like to think there's a blue reckoning at hand here and all this sifting of clues down to "telltale precincts" is unnecessary. You know, if an early reporting state with a lot of electoral votes like Florida or Texas looks to have gone for Biden, a lot of nearly impossible outcomes elsewhere would have to turn up in order for Trump even to have a prayer.

Bottom line for me: I'm not one to be tuning into online relay of cable or broadcast TV news and all its chatter. I'd rather read about it. The whole talking heads thing of filling in gaps with loops of controversial info or just speculation is part of why I booted a TV out of my living room a long time ago. If I had wanted to emulate a spinning-head figurine on a dashboard on election nights, I'd have signed back up for cable TV years ago. Truth be told I'd rather be in some Democratic Party stronghold precinct celebrating the re-election of a congress critter. It's a night I let my own lean hang out, for sure, no matter where I am or who's with me. So tonight I'll be hanging out on blue-leaning forums and blog sites.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A neighbour called by with a gift of homemade chutney and to return a book on local history that I had given him a few weeks ago; he is from one of the families that have moved into some of the older houses on our road in the past few years (due to Covid, his children did not come knocking on my door a few nights ago, though, in other circumstances, I had made it clear that they would have been very welcome); while there are quite a few older houses, there have also been quite a number of executor sales.

I get hanging out - or wanting to hang out - on "blue" forums tonight; for now, I want to read some fantasy........

Mind you, if I was observing the election, I would have taken leave of the political section of all fora, and subjected myself to a self imposed Twitter Trappist silence; as an election observer, or supervisor, or monitor, one is supposed to be impartial and objective.

And, in truth, I am neither impartial nor objective about the outcome of this election. Anything but.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Meant to post this the other day, it wouldn't fit in the trunk (it was filled with other supplies, but this was a beastly pumpkin ...), good color synergy with my car :D

IMG_7263_1200.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Went to the radiation oncologist this morning where I was told last week’s scan was perfect. The doc asked me how I felt about the election and I told him I was terrified. He said “you mean if Biden wins?” Eeee godz. And this after he complained about the total lack of social distancing when he went to the polls this morning. Dearheart...if you want social distancing, then you definitely don’t want Trump. To quote a former student - is you crazy?!

lizkat

Reaction score
Meant to post this the other day, it wouldn't fit in the trunk (it was filled with other supplies, but this was a beastly pumpkin ...), good color synergy with my car :D

View attachment 1107

Love that orange color... good synergy with my Election Night supper!

Chilly night here so I'm opting for steamed sweet potatoes, cauliflower and green beans alongside some poached chicken. Making even more festive and a little spicy too with some smoked paprika.

Went to the radiation oncologist this morning where I was told last week’s scan was perfect. The doc asked me how I felt about the election and I told him I was terrified. He said “you mean if Biden wins?” Eeee godz. And this after he complained about the total lack of social distancing when he went to the polls this morning. Dearheart...if you want social distancing, then you definitely don’t want Trump. To quote a former student - is you crazy?!

Your doc sounds a bit like my now retired dentist a couple towns over. I just kept telling myself that the political preferences of a dentist are somewhere near the bottom of the hoops one has to jump over to get the job, and he was "otherwise" excellent. :cool: However, he was on the school board too... and in that venue I regularly voted against him until he finally retired from that job also.

I'm really happy your scan turned out perfect. Forget politics, celebrate no matter what!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is excellent news!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Delighted to hear about the perfect scan.

The political preferences are less admirable.

Mind you, my mother used to bond with her terrific dentist (who also - as is the way of such things - my dentist and who was my father's dentist, too) over politics. They loathed conservatives, and would have long political chats before he attended to her teeth.

And, I must say that I have found him excellent, also; both as a dentist, and as a politically progressive human being.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your scan was all good.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
What did I do today? Work. 8-5. Then came home and did 7-10. Now it’s sleep time. Well unwind a bit first.

Top Bottom
1 2