What are you doing today?

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
just got the grass cut.

spent way too much time working on my new blog (yes i went with wordpress and i even am having them host it for me). it's frustrating to work in new software; I know enough to know what's going wrong and what I want it to do, but not enough to know how to do it.

my son has lacrosse tryouts for a new team this evening. still trying to figure out what's for dinner since the lax tryouts run from 6:30-8pm; we'll have to eat after.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
just got the grass cut.

spent way too much time working on my new blog (yes i went with wordpress and i even am having them host it for me). it's frustrating to work in new software; I know enough to know what's going wrong and what I want it to do, but not enough to know how to do it.

my son has lacrosse tryouts for a new team this evening. still trying to figure out what's for dinner since the lax tryouts run from 6:30-8pm; we'll have to eat after.
Haven't had to mow mine too often this summer. Its very brown. BUT the rain has finally arrived here in my part of the UK. Yay!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
more extended school calendar that builds in not just the usual student holidays but also teacher workshop days and other situations plus (in some states) allowing for inclement weather conditions during the winter while also trying to ensure a specific number of actual education days for students.

Not anymore. COVID fixed that. They simply call them "out of school learning environment days" and they have to do stuff online (on school issued iPads). So no more snow days for the kids. Serves them right for getting to go to school in air conditioned classrooms. We were lucky if our rooms had a fan the teacher either bought or brought from home. :)

I'm glad I went to school during the years that I did, when "summer vacation" was really and truly that, nearly three months, and we didn't have to think about returning to school until the day after Labor Day......

Amen.

When I was in school, it was state law that school began the Tuesday after Labor day and ended no later than June 8. No matter how many snow days we had.:) During the winter of 77-78, we went home for Christmas break and returned around Valentine's Day. It was snowing 3-4"+ every day or every other day. Then we got off another week in March when all that snow melted and caused flooding.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Haven't had to mow mine too often this summer. Its very brown.

It's been very dry here too once we got past June. Extraordinarily so, really. Sure, some passing hits from torrential rains but they've only lasted a few minutes and then moved on. We're about five inches short of total normal rainfall for July and August. The seven capacious reservoirs around here (river valleys that used to contain whole towns!) which are now part of the 19-reservoir water supply for New York City are substantially lower than they'd usually be this time of year.

Anyway they've just now begun asking us to conserve water locally so town reservoirs don't fall low enough to be using the backup wells. Can't remember dry spells like these since the droughts back in the late 1980s.

Back then I still had a place down in New York City, and I remember the transit authority was going around actually fixing leaky faucet fittings at the ends of station platforms where the cleaning crews hook up hoses to wash the stations down at night. Otherwise one could often hear water dripping or actually running back in there in the dark when there was a long wait between trains.

I used to think about that waste of water when I'd be up here weekends, and the watershed authorities were asking us here in the mountains to conserve water so the city reservoirs wouldn't fall short of their needs. :rolleyes: Anyway tney've long since learned not to talk to us about keeping water supplies up for the downstate residents. They're careful to say "so your local wells don't run dry..."

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I've been contemplating the same thing.

At one time, around 15 years ago, I had a blog that focused on urban photography and making photographs, usually of people on the street and different photography projects I worked on. Blogs kind of died out with social media coming on strong in the late 2000s. So that morphed into galleries of curated sets of photographs in different categories.

Last time I touched my site was six years ago. I think it's time to get rid of it and save the ever increasing hosting fees.
I just checked my blog email and realize that June marked 20 years when I started blogging on my own site. Of course I went down a rabbit hole. Well, as much as possible given that so many links are now dead. Dead dead. No redirects to the front page. No idea how to find the people/page elsewhere. Of course, at least six fellow bloggers have died over the years, including the good friend that got me into blogging for real and created my site for me since my web skills were rudimentary back then.

Looking at all that has made me even more likely to kill my website. I'm going to limit my online time and social media will consist of liking and sharing, with very little or no posting by me.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s why (in Her infinite wisdom) god created UberEats and the like.
Not anymore. COVID fixed that. They simply call them "out of school learning environment days" and they have to do stuff online (on school issued iPads).
Awesome! May I quote you on that? I’m in the middle of writing an article about what K12 learned from the pandemic, and this would fit nicely.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
That’s why (in Her infinite wisdom) god created UberEats and the like.
I have actually never used UberEats, et al. I can't even remember the last time we had food delivered by the actual restaurant. It's usually just faster to pick it up ourselves than to wait for it be delivered. I ended making french toast. 🙂

Have already had my three mile walk and done a bit of laundry. Worked on the blog a bit. Heading out to do some yard work/shrub removal. Also have to do some laundry and grocery store run today, and work on my class. Only 40 more pages to go. 😬

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's been very dry here too once we got past June. Extraordinarily so, really. Sure, some passing hits from torrential rains but they've only lasted a few minutes and then moved on. We're about five inches short of total normal rainfall for July and August. The seven capacious reservoirs around here (river valleys that used to contain whole towns!) which are now part of the 19-reservoir water supply for New York City are substantially lower than they'd usually be this time of year.

Anyway they've just now begun asking us to conserve water locally so town reservoirs don't fall low enough to be using the backup wells. Can't remember dry spells like these since the droughts back in the late 1980s.

Back then I still had a place down in New York City, and I remember the transit authority was going around actually fixing leaky faucet fittings at the ends of station platforms where the cleaning crews hook up hoses to wash the stations down at night. Otherwise one could often hear water dripping or actually running back in there in the dark when there was a long wait between trains.

I used to think about that waste of water when I'd be up here weekends, and the watershed authorities were asking us here in the mountains to conserve water so the city reservoirs wouldn't fall short of their needs. :rolleyes: Anyway tney've long since learned not to talk to us about keeping water supplies up for the downstate residents. They're careful to say "so your local wells don't run dry..."
It rained last night and more is due this week. We still need a lot more to turn around the drought conditions though.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have actually never used UberEats, et al. I can't even remember the last time we had food delivered by the actual restaurant. It's usually just faster to pick it up ourselves than to wait for it be delivered. I ended making french toast. 🙂

Have already had my three mile walk and done a bit of laundry. Worked on the blog a bit. Heading out to do some yard work/shrub removal. Also have to do some laundry and grocery store run today, and work on my class. Only 40 more pages to go. 😬
French toast? Not had that in years. Yum.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It rained last night and more is due this week. We still need a lot more to turn around the drought conditions though.

Usually at this point in summer we're not praying for rain, more like hoping it holds off as some early harvests begin. But four more counties have now been added to the drought watch in central NYS and farmers now start to worry about short-season crops too, i.e. the likelihood of having to replant some of those later on when it's common for torrential rains to spin off hurricanes moving up the Atlantic coast. Meanwhile the fruit crops further upstate have been shorted on water. We do sometimes get early killing frosts as well, so the whole season begins to feel fraught. Could net out to an ugly year for agriculture in New York State after what had seemed a pretty good shot at bumper crops. Weather gods run the table, no doubt about it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Have already had my three mile walk and done a bit of laundry.

At the same time? Seems like awesome efficiency, how does that work? :D

Full house list just dropped for HHN 2022 :D

Hehehe, scored this for the wife to wear to the event :love:

1660845273338.png

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
HVAC worked great, except for the condenser pump dropped dead within an hour of everything being tested. Go figure. To their credit, I reached out after hours once I realized what happened, and was still able to get them out the next morning (today) and it's been replaced.

After work, I intend to spend some time switching over to Xcode 14 full time on my side project and starting the work of bringing in some iOS 16 / macOS 13 APIs to address some pain points in the UI.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
it's not hard if you put a load in the washer before you leave and then put it in the dryer when you get back. 🙂 (disclaimer: "doing laundry" does not include folding)
I’ll take your word for it. I’m not allowed to touch the washing machine. It’s Mrs AFB domain. Our old machine was simple enough. This one is complicated.
After work had a quick catch up with a friend on the phone.
Also had my Amazon delivery turn up. So a nice new small wallet and iPhone case.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I’ll take your word for it. I’m not allowed to touch the washing machine. It’s Mrs AFB domain. Our old machine was simple enough. This one is complicated.
After work had a quick catch up with a friend on the phone.
Also had my Amazon delivery turn up. So a nice new small wallet and iPhone case.
My husband only touches the washing machine when it needs to be fixed. 🙂

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
My husband only touches the washing machine when it needs to be fixed. 🙂
Tried and failed on that score. Some idiot (me!) left £1 coin in their trouser pockets. Took the machine apart as Mrs AFB saw it drop out of the drum when she unloaded. All I did was create a leak. Had a guy come and repair it.
On a similar note our fridge freezer decided to stop working briefly twice yesterday. Not good. It’s just over two years old so hopefully covered in the warranty.

Top Bottom
1 2