What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
it's not hard if you put a load in the washer before you leave and then put it in the dryer when you get back. 🙂 (disclaimer: "doing laundry" does not include folding)

I’ll take your word for it. I’m not allowed to touch the washing machine. It’s Mrs AFB domain. Our old machine was simple enough. This one is complicated.
After work had a quick catch up with a friend on the phone.
Also had my Amazon delivery turn up. So a nice new small wallet and iPhone case.

My husband only touches the washing machine when it needs to be fixed. 🙂

Tried and failed on that score. Some idiot (me!) left £1 coin in their trouser pockets. Took the machine apart as Mrs AFB saw it drop out of the drum when she unloaded. All I did was create a leak. Had a guy come and repair it.
On a similar note our fridge freezer decided to stop working briefly twice yesterday. Not good. It’s just over two years old so hopefully covered in the warranty.
My mother had a wonderful trick re washing machines.

Once, around the time she retired, or, not long before that, they bought a nice, new, stylish washing machine.

She took one look at it, and said to my father, "you are brilliant at working out how these complicated electrical things work; why don't you find out how it works, and tell me."

So, that is exactly what he did, only to find himself still doing all of the washing (quite willingly, I might add) nearly fifteen years later when he was diagnosed with the cancer that killed him.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
An aside: What is this American verb, "I scored"?

Everytime I read it, I blink, and ask myself, what on Earth are these people talking about and why are they ruining my beautiful language.

Does it mean: "I bought something", or, does it carry an implied meaning of: "I successfully acquired something and am feeing insanely triumphant as a result"?

Or, does it mean: "I cut or scratched a sharp line in a surface"?

The context makes clear that it cannot mean either: "I wrote - as in composed - the music for a movie or a play", or, "I purchased twenty eggs."

For, whenever I read that verb, my mind runs to matters pertaining to football (soccer), as in "I scored a goal".

So, what does this mean, and - more importantly - what is the etymology of that verb in this context?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score

Everytime I read it, I blink, and ask myself, what on Earth are these people talking about and why are they ruining my beautiful language.

Does it mean: "I bought something", or, does it carry an implied meaning of: "I successfully acquired something and am feeing insanely triumphant as a result"?

The context makes clear that it cannot mean either: "I wrote - as in composed - the music for a movie or a play", or, "I purchased twenty eggs."

For, whenever I read that verb, my mind runs to matters pertaining to football (soccer), as in "I scored a goal".

So, what does this mean, and - more importantly - what is the etymology of that verb in this context?
When I was a young lad out on the town it meant something entirely different. Like I had a successful night if you know what I mean.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Here in Europe we use solar-powered drying so it takes all day much of the time.
My mother used to solar dry. I did some when we were first married, but it's so humid where I live in the summer that it would never be effective. Plus my back yard is too shady. Nothing better than line dried sheets, though.

Typically it's if you bought or otherwise procured something that is in short supply or a special price. "I scored a deal on this computer for Black Friday." "I scored this vintage camera on eBay."

When I was a young lad out on the town it meant something entirely different. Like I had a successful night if you know what I mean.
Yes, this also.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
My mother had a wonderful trick re washing machines.

Once, around the time she retired, or, not long before that, they bought a nice, new, stylish washing machine.

She took one look at it, and said to my father, "you are brilliant at working out how these complicated electrical things work; why don't you find out how it works, and tell me."

So, that is exactly what he did, only to find himself still doing all of the washing (quite willingly, I might add) nearly fifteen years later when he was diagnosed with the cancer that killed him.
Well, my husband has the wonderful trick of earning money for us, so doing his laundry isn't much of a big deal. 🙂

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe any particular gender should do the washing. In most marriages you tend to find certain jobs become yours. In my case I know my wife hates cleaning. So that tends to be me. She tends to do the cooking and washing. I usually wash up and load the dishwasher.
However a guy I work with who’s been married for 30+ years always do their own washing. He does his. She does hers. I find that weird as surly it’s easier to do a load of whites from both parties.
No idea how they deal with the bedding wash!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That’s it. You just scored.

I scored a good deal on a score of movie score albums, several were scored, but I knew the score going in ...

:ROFLMAO:

Fun day planned!

Hitting up Total Wine specifically to check out their always dazzling beer assortment (they claim 2500, that seems possible), dropping the wife off at a nice place near there where she's staying with some old friends for the night, they're shopping, eating out. I'm picking up T at school, we're eating a local pizza joint, sitting in the nice outside area, and then coming home to chill and watch some murder shows :D

"There were signs ..."

o_O

I might knockaround an hour here and there on some work ...

... or not.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I tend to do laundry when I notice that I'm running short on something essential, or (more likely) when I happen to be in the mood. A lot of times I'll do a load or two while I'm working on something on the computer and am at home anyway, rather than when intending to go out to do errands. I don't like to leave the house and have either the washer or the dryer running. Sometimes I'll do everything, just get all of the laundry out of the way at once, or other times I'll just run a load of only one type of thing: bed linens for instance, or maybe just the white-and-light colored clothing, or the darks.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Actually, today was laundry day, chateau moi.

A dark wash; tomorrow, or Sunday, will follow that up with a "light wash".

Ah, yes.

This, I do know, for I well recall that this expression - in that precise context - was part of the active vocabulary of my students when I dwelt in the groves of academe and darkened the door of many a classroom.

Typically it's if you bought or otherwise procured something that is in short supply or a special price. "I scored a deal on this computer for Black Friday." "I scored this vintage camera on eBay."

Yes, this also.
Ah, thank you.

Now, I understand; this explanation makes total sense.

The sense of glee, of insane triumph, was obvious, and could clearly be inferred from the tone of the posts where this expression (verb) was used, but the wider context baffled me.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
This happened to me a week ago. I'm sitting around in the house, listening to the rain pour outside, when I hear the camera alarm beep. I pick up the phone, look at it, and think...

...what kind of fucked up post-modern Mary Poppins bullshit is this?

It was so weird, I just had to share it.

Anyway, dude wanted to sell me bug spray. Why he was selling bug spray on a hoverboard in the pouring rain, I have no idea.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This happened to me a week ago. I'm sitting around in the house, listening to the rain pour outside, when I hear the camera alarm beep. I pick up the phone, look at it, and think...

...what kind of fucked up post-modern Mary Poppins bullshit is this?

It was so weird, I just had to share it.

Anyway, dude wanted to sell me bug spray. Why he was selling bug spray on a hoverboard in the pouring rain, I have no idea.

Hahaha, POTW.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hitting up Total Wine specifically to check out their always dazzling beer assortment (they claim 2500, that seems possible), dropping the wife off at a nice place near there where she's staying with some old friends for the night, they're shopping, eating out. I'm picking up T at school, we're eating a local pizza joint, sitting in the nice outside area, and then coming home to chill and watch some murder shows :D

I might knockaround an hour here and there on some work ...

... or not.

The plan MOSTLY came together :D We got the pizza TG since there was some nasty weather rolling in and holy f***ing hell, the lightning activity was INSANE. I was kind of nodding off in the TV room, and there was a FLASH-BOOM, I'm talking almost no time between the two, it had to have hit within a couple of hundred yards if not closer, the boom lasted for like a minute and rattled the house o_O

Hahahaha, then I turn about and see the daughter standing there with a shocked look on her face, "Umm, can I watch TV down here?"

We wound up watching Get Out (a fave of ours), so good, pounded more pizza, weather cleared out. Surprisingly, only one small flicker and no power (or internet) loss.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I paid a visit to the farmers' market and treated myself to some vegetables, - all organic - (I had phoned yesterday to ask them to put some stuff aside):

Onions, carrots, celery, spring onions, peppers, courgettes (zucchini), aubergines (eggplant), cucumber, tomatoes - both cherry tomatoes and larger tomatoes - the locally grown tomatoes are amazing at this time of year - garlic, (lots), and parsley and basil.

And free range, organic eggs.

Fruit included strawberries, lemons, pink grapefruit, peaches, and apricots.

And locally produced honey.

The meat stall was packing up, but I managed to buy some fillet steak, and some (free range, organic) chicken thighs.

And, I spotted gravadlax - which I prefer to smoked salmon - in the fish stall, so that, too, made its way into my shopping basket.

Olives (kalamata olives, standard green olives, and green olives stuffed with anchovy), and olive oil were also purchased.

A visit to the cheesemonger (cheese purchases are described in the "cheese" thread), and the French bakery completed my shopping for today.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hitting up Total Wine specifically to check out their always dazzling beer assortment (they claim 2500, that seems possible)

Didn't have a ton of time, but picked these two up, haven't tried (but excited to) the new Founders on the left yet - and per "The Agreement", no pumpkin beers before September, so the DH on the right is just chillin' in the beer fridge :D

IMG_1814_1920.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Brilliant. Who wrote it? 🤣

Some guy I know, I hear he's been published a few times ... but is kind of an a-hole. :ROFLMAO:

Full house list just dropped for HHN 2022 :D

Tickets acquired :D

Went with the 30-something night frequent fear plus pass, that will cover us for our 5 days mid-October, but heck we might fly down another weekend or two since it's most of Sep and Oct, including Halloween weekend (I think we're doing to go dark this Halloween after almost 20 years of overdoing it ...)

@DT: Please let us know what you think of the Founders "Highball Drifter". Some of their beers are superb. What is the abv?

It's stellar, but not surprising, as Founders - I'm sure you'd agree - tends to exceed expectations. ABV is a stout 11%, a bit boozy, it's present but it's a comfortable warmth. It's very rich, a nice balanced flavor of vanilla, brown sugar, cherry, some burnt orange, a little salty, not unlike my favorite bourbons that tend towards a sweeter fruity/spicy vs. an earthy/oaky profile. Between the complex flavors and ABV, it's definitely a slow sipper that needs some time, like a neat pour of good bourbon. :)

Top Bottom
1 2