What are you doing today?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Hanging out for part of the afternoon just looking at some of the art of Mitchell Johnson. A lot of his stuff is more about color and his somehow keeping structures simple but often recognizably "from" one or another location around the world. Most of it is set in summertime scenes, and the beach scenes can look European or American by time he's set the brush down, even if he's only drawn a couple of chairs.

I've come to admire Johnson's works for probably the same reasons I've always liked Tne New Yorker covers done by Gretchen Dow Simpson, although her paintings are more realistic and usually of light colored houses in "close up and personal" view. The annual appeal of both of these artists' works comes from my awareness that summer's end is near, so it makes me wistful in a way. Even though I'm a big fan of the change of seasons, the transition that I'm most ambivalent about is moving from summer to autumn. Funny because the fall season is actually my favorite.

So yeah, today a day of deliberately avoiding any list making or chores related to incoming chilly nights and falling maple leaves... gonna spend the weekend hanging out as if summer lasts forever too!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Mitchell Johnson is terrific, a lot of his subject matter is "beachy", I have those kind of scenes in my memory, the mismatching beach chairs, etc.

We have a signed nice print (it was a 45 edition run, hand pressed, with the original screens destroyed) by Linda Molto. Some of the same kind of subject matter, coastal, beachy, captures those things I've seen so many times. Our print is titled, "The Only Game in Town", wait I'll shoot a pic, it's hanging right in front of me (wall between the office and the kitchen ...)

Sorry, some bad reflection. My Dad had that tackle box, that live bait container, that same open face spinning reel when I look at it, gives me a happy vibe :)

IMG_1831_1920.jpg

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
spent a couple of hours tearing out asian beauty berries. it’s too bad i love the purple berries in the fall but this variety is invasive and taking over my backyard. i hope to plant a pollinator garden in next spring where some were.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Well that didn’t pan out. Glad I only spent $20 for it. Poor directions means everyone on Facebook trying to figure out wtf to meet…and nobody responding.

Hahaha, you should definitely watch the Bob's Burgers episode titled, Boys Just Wanna Have Fungus

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Another sunny day here. Going for an early morning walk with Mrs AFB. Then perhaps some gardening.
A pretty standard Sunday for us.

Stayed up late reading last night, so today might even involve the rare nap, since I still wake up with the light no matter when I had called the previous day done... I'll take this wolf's nap as a model, but not out in the meadow: August isstill way too hot for that!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Well I hope you have something nice planned to remember her by. At least a decent glass of something no doubt.
Decent Brother and I chatted on the phone, and both brothers - and my German sister-in-law - (by Twitter and email) replied to a tweet I had posted about her (my mother).

However, a close neighbour - an absolutely lovely lady whom we have known since we were small children (and whose children were childhood friends) died a few days ago, (cancer, not Covid) thus, today - I attended the "removal" and conveyed condolences from both brothers, in addition to my own - we have known the family (genuinely lovely people) well for at least half a century - was also about them.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Decent Brother and I chatted on the phone, and both brothers - and my German sister-in-law - (by Twitter and email) replied to a tweet I had posted about her.

However, a close neighbour - an absolutely lovely lady whom we have known since we were small children (and whose children were childhood friends) died a few days ago, (cancer, not Covid) thus, today - I attended the "removal" and conveyed condolences from both brothers, in addition to my own - we have known the family (genuinely lovely people) well for at least half a century - was also about them.
Sorry for your loss.
Glad you got to remember your own Mother with your siblings.

Here I enjoyed some football and watched the Spa Grand Prix from Belgium.

Bank holiday tomorrow. Nothing more adventurous than a bit of gardening planned. Certainly not going anywhere.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The rain has stopped and the sun is out! The cement guys showed up this morning so we can finally have all the work finished. They are doing other odd jobs too, and currently moving the back gate so Harley can park his truck on the side of the house. Next they’ll be installing the rail for the pool, and finally pouring the concrete both to hold said rail, and do the sidewalk. Once they’re all done I shall be throwing myself into the pool!

Last night we celebrated 25 years of marriage with an incredible dinner. I had blackened scallops and he had a steak.

98D93C2E-DDA5-4CE7-982F-414EE7B5194D.jpeg31C4D63B-EFCB-4CCF-8E7C-7E4AB83FD03C.jpeg29D04FE8-40BE-441F-BB2D-E04E668F3D46.jpeg

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
The rain has stopped and the sun is out! The cement guys showed up this morning so we can finally have all the work finished. They are doing other odd jobs too, and currently moving the back gate so Harley can park his truck on the side of the house. Next they’ll be installing the rail for the pool, and finally pouring the concrete both to hold said rail, and do the sidewalk. Once they’re all done I shall be throwing myself into the pool!

Last night we celebrated 25 years of marriage with an incredible dinner. I had blackened scallops and he had a steak.

View attachment 17129View attachment 17130View attachment 17131
Congratulations. Our 24th is in a week or so.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Awwwwwwww......

.....that picture in your avatar (and in the post) is absolutely lovely.

Congratulations on your anniversary and hope you had a wonderful day.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score

HUGE CONGRATS to both of you love birds!!! Your new avvie is absolutely adorable! 🥂

Top Bottom
1 2