What are you doing today?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
They are moving me to a new office on the third floor, and it’s much bigger than my current office, so I am trying to decide which arcade1up machines I am going to put in there :)

(I’d put a more sturdy multicade in there except the logistics of getting it in there without bothering the office services people are not good).

I have 2 arcade1ups at home, 1 of which is modded with a raspberry pi (I did it back before it was easy to buy mod kits), so maybe I’ll mod one and put it in the office. Not sure.

I’m leaning toward at least the Joust machine, for nostalgia. At Exponential Technology, I was the youngest employee, and I bonded with our architect by playing the joust machine we had in the little break room. He was fantastic and I sucked. Eventually we hired a guy, Alan, who was a few years younger than me. He was on our CAD team. He learned the Joust pattern and taught me. Many a night, at 11 or midnight, he’d appear at my cubicle entrance and make a hand gesture indicating we were either going to play foosball or Joust.

He ended up going to AMD when I went to Sun. I later joined him at AMD and eventually became his boss. He moved to Michigan around the time I left AMD. Last year he came to town, and stopped by my house. Was great to see him, and we played a game of foosball on my tornado table. We played for about 10 minutes as wives and children gathered to watch. In that span, we cracked two foosball player’s heads, and had to finally stop when a third player’s head broke off :)

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the story of why Michigan is too far away from California.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Worked this morning. Listened to TX almost beat Bama on the radio on the way home.

Now watching my Herd leading Notre Dame @ ND 9-7 at the half. Hope that missed PAT doesn't come back to haunt them.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
On our way back from K-Pop, beverage store, coffees, bookstore ... we cut through the back way by The Fountain, hahaha, this isn't something most people see everyday ...

IMG_1905_1920.jpg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Now watching my Herd leading Notre Dame @ ND 9-7 at the half. Hope that missed PAT doesn't come back to haunt them.

It didn't.

ND goes down to a Group of 5 team at home. Historic. Headed out to celebrate with some friends. :D

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So it’s really Sunday now. I’m going to get dressed sometime in the next 2 hours, and pick out THE SHIRT which will be worn for every game for the season.

Last night, somehow the plug going into my USB charger came out (notice I’m not immediately blaming the cats), so when I got up my iPad and watch were dead. IPad, no problem. I can use it while it’s charging. But I feel naked without my watch.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
A bit of work first thing. Monthly reports to write for this week’s management meeting.
Then a walk. A bit of gardening.
Cleaned the oven as Mrs AFB said it needed doing. What a fun way to spend a weekend. Next weekend I’m working. Not sure how the queen’s funeral will affect the four day show we start on Saturday.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Last year we projected swirling ghosts on our garage door, and the neighborhood kids kept coming by to pet them or something. This would set off my Ring cameras, and I had the bright idea of playing Halloween music and making scary noises through the Ring speaker closest to the ghosts whenever they came around. This drew even more children, but it required playing music from one device into another device to get it to the speaker.

So today I am testing out a more automated system, using the Ring’s motion sensor in homekit to trigger a Homepod mini mounted inside above the garage door to play spooky music. Because I’m *that* neighbor.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A bit of work first thing. Monthly reports to write for this week’s management meeting.

Make sure you get the new cover letter on those if they're TPS reports ... you do not want Lumbergh coming by your desk.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So it’s really Sunday now. I’m going to get dressed sometime in the next 2 hours, and pick out THE SHIRT which will be worn for every game for the season.

Last night, somehow the plug going into my USB charger came out (notice I’m not immediately blaming the cats), so when I got up my iPad and watch were dead. IPad, no problem. I can use it while it’s charging. But I feel naked without my watch.

Wow, another close one!

1662932350532.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That last 19 seconds…almost had a heart attack! Looks like we’re back to being a 4th quarter club.

We were watching the Pittsburgh / Bengals game, same insanity, went into OT 20-20 after the Bengals missed an extra point to end the game, both teams missed field goals in OT, almost went to a tie, then Boswell managed to put 3 points up for Pittsburgh with 5 seconds left on the clock. Pittsburgh took some bad injuries, it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
After realizing that we don’t actually have any spare HVAC filters on hand since the new install, and the filters we now use are about 3-ish months each, grabbed a couple to have on hand. Also grabbed some nitrile disposable gloves, and a couple house plants.

I don’t exactly have a green thumb, so haven’t kept any house plants up to this point other than what runs rampant in the fish tank, surviving despite my best efforts. I want to change that as a way to see if we can manage CO2 a little better in the house. Got a couple succulents, and a bird’s nest fern. Stuff that the cat will either leave alone or if the cat does munch on it, it won’t be poisonous.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
After realizing that we don’t actually have any spare HVAC filters on hand since the new install, and the filters we now use are about 3-ish months each, grabbed a couple to have on hand.

I buy Nordic Pure in bulk from Amazon, it's super nice to have a bunch of hand. Not sure what MERV spec you use, but the 12 work out to about ~$9/each the 14 are ~$12/ea

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I buy Nordic Pure in bulk from Amazon, it's super nice to have a bunch of hand. Not sure what MERV spec you use, but the 12 work out to about ~$9/each the 14 are ~$12/ea
Interesting, in our size, it's quite a bit more expensive. Still save about 20% buying 3rd party, which is in line with what I'd expect from a decent 3rd party replacement.

I am honestly just getting a bit fed up with all the grey market (for lack of a better term) stuff on Amazon these days, so I'm trying to ween myself off them. As a result, I'm getting out more often, which isn't a bad thing.

Top Bottom
1 2