What are you doing today?

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Was busy reading several chapters of Margaret MacMillan's excellent work on the background to the First World War this morning.
i was intrigued. so i downloaded a sample on apple's Books.
it seems to be very readable.
the sample says the author focuses on why an internationalist world structure that had been in place, at the end of the 19th century / beginning of the 20th century, devolved into war.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Today I was celebrating an anxiety-free pre-launch to the New Year by observing early delivery of January's heating gas supply. Yeah! It's been too slippery to wander out there and find out how much gas was left in the tanks. My guesstimate was pretty close though and there was plenty left to keep the house comfortable. Mother Nature gave us an only partly welcome hand by providing the area a few days in the 50º-55ºF range this past month, putting us at risk for flooding after a huge snowstorm and meltdown with added rain.

So today is Gratitude Day. No floods, and a nice warm house in a winter that has returned to being cold and scenic with a few inches of snow added last night. Counting my blessings.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
i was intrigued. so i downloaded a sample on apple's Books.
it seems to be very readable.
the sample says the author focuses on why an internationalist world structure that had been in place, at the end of the 19th century / beginning of the 20th century, devolved into war.

I'm still reading, am roughly a third of the way through the book - this is an inviting, fat, hefty tome.

Very readable, and very interesting.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I went for a therapy session today. The old therapist hasn’t returned since they closed for Covid. I took a recommendation from a friend who is also an OT. This new lady is wonderful. She believes in whole body lymphatic treatment, not just treating the affected area. I came out of there today feeling really awesome. And ordered a new compression sleeve.

U

User.45

r5
I went for a therapy session today. The old therapist hasn’t returned since they closed for Covid. I took a recommendation from a friend who is also an OT. This new lady is wonderful. She believes in whole body lymphatic treatment, not just treating the affected area. I came out of there today feeling really awesome. And ordered a new compression sleeve.
Those are good:)

U

User.45

Off Zoom with the statistician I worked with. It seem like my old overly ambitious senior resident research project will convert into a nice paper after all. My mentors have been teasing me about dragging this project for so many years.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Off Zoom with the statistician I worked with. It seem like my old overly ambitious senior resident research project will convert into a nice paper after all. My mentors have been teasing me about dragging this project for so many years.
I figured they’d be praising you for dragging it for so long. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

BTW, I’m over quantitative research. Thank goodness I’d already decided on a qual study.

U

User.45

I figured they’d be praising you for dragging it for so long. Isn’t that what it’s all about?
No, the expectation is a laser sharp focus => find a niche and be the very best in it.
The project is definitely a niche, but not necessarily fitting my profile.

U

User.45

BTW, I’m over quantitative research. Thank goodness I’d already decided on a qual study.
What I learned is that a sample size of ~150 where I draw the line of statistical processing. Beyond it's a lot of mental energy and a statistician can do it 2x faster and 2x better.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Today I was celebrating an anxiety-free pre-launch to the New Year by observing early delivery of January's heating gas supply. Yeah! It's been too slippery to wander out there and find out how much gas was left in the tanks. My guesstimate was pretty close though and there was plenty left to keep the house comfortable. Mother Nature gave us an only partly welcome hand by providing the area a few days in the 50º-55ºF range this past month, putting us at risk for flooding after a huge snowstorm and meltdown with added rain.

So today is Gratitude Day. No floods, and a nice warm house in a winter that has returned to being cold and scenic with a few inches of snow added last night. Counting my blessings.
Don't you have a valve that tells you what's left? Ours do. We have 2 tanks. They get filled 85% each. I start to get nervous once the first one is empty.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Guns by any chance?

Officially I'm off until the NY but doing a few work things. Don't want to come back to a long list of to do's.

Yeah I probably shouldn’t have mentioned it but the poster can be a bit of a bellend at times too lol. He’s very condescendingly telling you how batteries work too I see lol.

I might do some work stuff later too. Trying to learn a software package on and off and could do with spending an hour or two on it.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah I probably shouldn’t have mentioned it but the poster can be a bit of a bellend at times too lol. He’s very condescendingly telling you how batteries work too I see lol.

I might do some work stuff later too. Trying to learn a software package on and off and could do with spending an hour or two on it.
Agree. Don’t work too hard. I’ve put the laptop away now.

Had a bit more snow but it’s stopped now.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Agree. Don’t work too hard. I’ve put the laptop away now.

Had a bit more snow but it’s stopped now.

I only spent an hour on it just as a bit of an escape to be honest.

It’s snowed here all day but the ground is so wet, it’s only sticking in the lawn. It’s so cold though with a wind chill that cuts straight through you. No walking today I don’t think.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I‘m going to think how I’m going to respond to a $2000 bill from the county’s ambulance service to transport my wife 5 miles to the hospital and at most they gave her some O2 on the way. This is associated with and addition to the $4000 hospital bill with her getting heat stroke standing in line to vote And spending 4 hours in the emergency room while they “observed her”. Just because they bill an outrageous amount, I‘ll be talking to my lawyer and insurance company about it.

Yes, I can afford to pay it, but the question is should I?

What is semi-amusing is that they sent me a form to fill out for financial assistance which I ignored, then I got a letter saying financial assistance has been denied, and now I expect they will send me a bill to be paid in full, except I won’t be paying it in full, at least not all at once. First if it’s not itemized, I’ll be asking for an itemized billing. The discussion with my lawyer will concern negotiating a price after the fact, as we were not privy to the charges up front.

The last time my wife was at the emergency room several years ago, after being billed, I told the billing agency I was going to be making monthly payments, they could take it or leave it. They took it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Don't you have a valve that tells you what's left? Ours do. We have 2 tanks. They get filled 85% each. I start to get nervous once the first one is empty.

Sure there are gauges on the tanks, just couldn't get out there to read them after the snow-drift-rain-freeze skyshow of last week.

I have 2 tanks also. Here they fill only to 80%. At delivery the gas is pressurized a little to carry from the linked tanks to a depressurizing box on the back of the house so the tanks generally stay equalized within about 5%.

I don't get too anxious about running out of gas any more since my fuel usage is slightly lower the past couple years. We've had slightly milder winters of late, but I attribute part of the lower fuel consumption not so much to weather patterns or climate change but to the passing on of my two ancient cats in the spring and summer of 2018. One or the other would occasionally pry open the stairwell door in winter -- just to come upstairs and try to chat me up about breakfast at some ungodly hour like 5am, as if it were still summer and dawn only half an hour away! So I'd shoo the kitty away and pull the covers back over my head. It could either join me under the comforters or else head on back downstairs where it was slightly warmer, but of course neither of them ever closed the damn door behind them. I'd be heating the upstairs for no good reason since under those blankets and quilts it was 98.6 degrees...

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sure there are gauges on the tanks, just couldn't get out there to read them after the snow-drift-rain-freeze skyshow of last week.

I have 2 tanks also. Here they fill only to 80%. At delivery the gas is pressurized a little to carry from the linked tanks to a depressurizing box on the back of the house so the tanks generally stay equalized within about 5%.

I don't get too anxious about running out of gas any more since my fuel usage is slightly lower the past couple years. We've had slightly milder winters of late, but I attribute part of the lower fuel consumption not so much to weather patterns or climate change but to the passing on of my two ancient cats in the spring and summer of 2018. One or the other would occasionally pry open the stairwell door in winter -- just to come upstairs and try to chat me up about breakfast at some ungodly hour like 5am, as if it were still summer and dawn only half an hour away! So I'd shoo the kitty away and pull the covers back over my head. It could either join me under the comforters or else head on back downstairs where it was slightly warmer, but of course neither of them ever closed the damn door behind them. I'd be heating the upstairs for no good reason since under those blankets and quilts it was 98.6 degrees...
I’m only just getting used to gas tanks. At our old property (mist in the U.K.) the gas is piped to your door. So you just hss as very what you need.

Top Bottom
1 2