What are you doing today?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Tucked away the wiring for the new deck lights, where I had originally done a sort of "quick deployment" last night and left the wiring sort of just on the deck surface.

I got this neat 4 light with controller, plus an extra extension and a box of tiki torch mounts for the wife for christmas (one of those sort of "house gifts" so really for everyone). I removed the yard stake from the lights (just a hand screw fastener), and instead of using the second clamp on the mounts (where you'd secure a torch pole, I used a machine screw/nut. So they mount nicely on the edges via the other clamp, are easily moved, rotated, repositioned, nothing has any permanent modifications :)

The lights themselves are super slick, weather proof (including a watertight box for the main power/controller), LED, and WiFi controlled, so with iOS app, you can turn them on/off, set their color (range of thousands), set auto timers, and really fun, all sorts of multi color/brightness modes, things like "Sky Breath", where it cycles through various blue hues. I've got them pointing up at the coastal live oaks, which are fun, they twist around in all sorts of directions, and look amazing (or scary ...) all lit up.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this massage? My wife swears by it.
Lymphatic drainage. It’s as good as massage as far as I’m concerned. I’m glad insurance covers it. I’d be much happier just being able to go for an ordinary massage when I feel like it, and not needing the drainage on an ongoing basis.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Lymphatic drainage. It’s as good as massage as far as I’m concerned. I’m glad insurance covers it. I’d be much happier just being able to go for an ordinary massage when I feel like it, and not needing the drainage on an ongoing basis.

Thta is another thing that Covid has put paid to; until last year, I used to receive a massage - bliss, sheer, unadulterated bliss - regularly, and it was wonderful.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, we tracked down our 2" ice cube trays (they're silicone I believe). Anyway, here's the intended use (beyond just some _nice_ice_):

I freeze the extra/left over coffee, it usually takes a couple of days to accumulate enough for a full tray. It's the straight black coffee right from the pot.

Then we use one "coffee cubes" in a lowball/rocks glass, pour Irish creme over, usually a small splash of vodka. As the cube melts, you get these little streams of coffee mingling in with the sweet creme, it's really terrific, and it keeps the drink cold without diluting it (in fact, adding a whole extra layer).

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'm still reading about the First World War (Margaret MacMillan's excellent book), and I still think the Schlieffen Plan is nuts, and I'm annoyed at how stupid it is (and was), just as I thought it was nuts (and almost illegaly stupid) when I first read about it - gobsmacked - in my early teens, some decades ago.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thta is another thing that Covid has put paid to; until last year, I used to receive a massage - bliss, sheer, unadulterated bliss - regularly, and it was wonderful.
I’ve always been able to skip the massage, but I adore a good pedicure (with lots of vigorous foot rubbing) and a facial. I’m lucky that this is something that is medically necessary for me, and covers all my wants. (And because it is a medical necessity, I don’t even have to pay for it!)

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Indeed I did get to the grocery store this afternoon and bought what I needed -- as well as some things I probably didn't need, too, but wanted. However, in my eagerness to avoid the crowds, I skipped lunch and made the classic error of going to the store without having eaten beforehand so that I was already mildly hungry before even setting foot in the store. Oops!

Years ago I had a wonderful massage -- first and only one ever, actually -- when I was down in North Carolina with my mother, who was going through what to to be her final illness. One of her young friends happened to be a professional masseuse and offered to give me a massage as time went on and it was clear that I was getting more and more stressed by a difficult situation. It was fantastic and it really did help so much! I felt great afterward. Haven't had one again since but I will always remember that experience, which was exactly what I needed at that particular point in my life.

Never have had a pedicure (my feet are really ticklish, don't know if I'd like someone touching and handling them, even in what is meant to be a soothing, therapeutic way), and I've never had a facial, either. In my younger days I wore makeup all the time, wouldn't have dreamed of leaving the house without it, but once I was retired and at home a lot more, I gradually stopped doing the makeup thing and now only put some on when going out for occasions such as meeting with friends for lunch or dinner, going to a party, a concert or show, some other event of that sort. I certainly don't bother these days with putting it on to just do a grocery store run! Since going to the grocery store and the library have been pretty much my only ventures out during 2020, so much for the makeup.....

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I thought that she really felt the cold.

I certainly do (as did Mother).

One thing that I'm finding really helpful is to use a heating pad -- on my feet. While sitting at the computer I plug the heating pad in and set it on the floor and put my feet right on top of it, and after a while slip them under the heating pad to warm up the tops of my feet. Works a treat! When my feet are warm then I am warmer, too, and it does make a difference! I keep the thermostat here set at 69 degrees, for the most part, but when it gets really, really bone-chilling cold outdoors, or is very damp and feels colder because of that. In each of those situationsI'll be kicking the thermostat up a few notches. Being warmly dressed in layers helps, too.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I cut this sign today way to large I had to cut part of it and slide it and cut the rest. I think I have cut over 30 salt and straw signs. if you don't know what that is it is a high end ice cream shop that can have some crazy flavors.
a standard pear and blue cheese. they have had pigs blood I think halloween and turkey skin and other crazy flavors. the last time I ate it they had a snickerdoodle one and it was incredible. chocolate not bad. I cut them for a local sign guy and he finishes them. this one is going to coconut grove.

IMG_2008.jpg
IMG_2007.jpg
IMG_2006.jpg

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I cut this sign today way to large I had to cut part of it and slide it and cut the rest. I think I have cut over 30 salt and straw signs. if you don't know what that is it is a high end ice cream shop that can have some crazy flavors.
a standard pear and blue cheese. they have had pigs blood I think halloween and turkey skin and other crazy flavors. the last time I ate it they had a snickerdoodle one and it was incredible. chocolate not bad. I cut them for a local sign guy and he finishes them. this one is going to coconut grove.

View attachment 2260View attachment 2261View attachment 2262

I used to run a couple of CNC machines years ago in an old job and used to make all sorts of cool things. Made signs for shops on the side and exhibition stands etc. I even made furniture for my house lol. I do miss having access to that type of CNC. I still do the odd bit of programming to help production out at the company I work for but that are triple axis Haas and Hurco machines and all metal machining. I won’t be doing that next year though as they’ve employed a production engineer to relieve us of those duties.

Sign looks great and love the setup [emoji1303]

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I thought that she really felt the cold.

I certainly do (as did Mother).
She does. She is just trying to economise. I think seeing the gas tank go down plays on her mind more than just a bill arriving once a quarter. That and my Reynolds is playing up so my hands are cold all the time at the moment.

Went for a walk when we got back from the supermarket with the camera. Cold but rewarding.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
She does. She is just trying to economise. I think seeing the gas tank go down plays on her mind more than just a bill arriving once a quarter. That and my Reynolds is playing up so my hands are cold all the time at the moment.

Went for a walk when we got back from the supermarket with the camera. Cold but rewarding.

Winter is not the time to economise on heat and warmth; that is somethig (in our part of the world, where we don't suffer punishing heat in summer) best reserved for the summer months.

Besides, I seem to recall that Mrs AFB sometiems strolls around barefoot; you mnetion Raynaud's disease, - abroad, a former colleague of mine, an Army Major, suffered badly from it - but, even at school (when I walked and cycled everywhere - i.e. I was naturally fit), my feet were always cold in winter.

There are few more horrid experiences in winter than a cold (and unwelcoming) house.

Anyway, a wash on, and a pleasant surprise from the electricity bill; as they had estimated my bill for ten months, - on account of Covid - when they finally came to do a reading, (in early December), it appears that my account is (considerably) in credit. Nice to know at this time of year.

The meter is far too high, - it is in the boiler house - and the numbers far too tiny, - and my eyesight too imperfect, for me to be able to read it (I tried) with (or without) spectacles.

U

User.45

I‘m going to think how I’m going to respond to a $2000 bill from the county’s ambulance service to transport my wife 5 miles to the hospital and at most they gave her some O2 on the way. This is associated with and addition to the $4000 hospital bill with her getting heat stroke standing in line to vote And spending 4 hours in the emergency room while they “observed her”. Just because they bill an outrageous amount, I‘ll be talking to my lawyer and insurance company about it.

Yes, I can afford to pay it, but the question is should I?

What is semi-amusing is that they sent me a form to fill out for financial assistance which I ignored, then I got a letter saying financial assistance has been denied, and now I expect they will send me a bill to be paid in full, except I won’t be paying it in full, at least not all at once. First if it’s not itemized, I’ll be asking for an itemized billing. The discussion with my lawyer will concern negotiating a price after the fact, as we were not privy to the charges up front.

The last time my wife was at the emergency room several years ago, after being billed, I told the billing agency I was going to be making monthly payments, they could take it or leave it. They took it.
request an itemized bill first. it will place you in a lot better position to fight/negotiate it.

never mind, you were planning to.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Winter is not the time to economise on heat and warmth; that is somethig (in our part of the world, where we don't suffer punishing heat in summer) best reserved for the summer months.

Besides, I seem to recall that Mrs AFB sometiems strolls around barefoot; you mnetion Raynaud's disease, - abroad, a former colleague of mine, an Army Major, suffered badly from it - but, even at school (when I walked and cycled everywhere - i.e. I was naturally fit), my feet were always cold in winter.

There are few more horrid experiences in winter than a cold (and unwelcoming) house.

Anyway, a wash on, and a pleasant surprise from the electricity bill; as they had estimated my bill for ten months, - on account of Covid - when they finally came to do a reading, (in early December), it appears that my account is (considerably) in credit. Nice to know at this time of year.

The meter is far too high, - it is in the boiler house - and the numbers far too tiny, - and my eyesight too imperfect, for me to be able to read it (I tried) with (or without) spectacles.
She does often walk around barefoot yes. I'm in slippers and socks. But I let her choose what temperature to set the thermostat at. I'd have it on all day, but she is trying to make do with just the evenings and over night.
I mostly suffer in my hands and fingers. I can be sat with my hands holding a cup of tea and still cold. For hours at a time. Other days (when the temperature is the same), they are fine.

Anyway been doing some photo editing and a bit of work. Just finished lunch and am sipping a cup of tea at my desk. Just tidied my camera gear away as well. I had lenses everywhere!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
She does often walk around barefoot yes. I'm in slippers and socks. But I let her choose what temperature to set the thermostat at. I'd have it on all day, but she is trying to make do with just the evenings and over night.
I mostly suffer in my hands and fingers. I can be sat with my hands holding a cup of tea and still cold. For hours at a time. Other days (when the temperature is the same), they are fine.

Anyway been doing some photo editing and a bit of work. Just finished lunch and am sipping a cup of tea at my desk. Just tidied my camera gear away as well. I had lenses everywhere!

I'd have it on all day, too.

As did my mother.

We both love (in her case, loved) heat - as did my father, who adored sunshine and warm climates.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
When the sun is out the front gets lovely and warm in the afternoon. It’s currently 21 in the lounge with the heating not been on since 7.

But, that is when the sun is out........not (at all) a given at this time of year.

Yesterday, the forecast for today seeemd to suggest that it would be dry; today, there are spitting (albeit, fairly light) showers.

Anyway, a wash done, and unloaded.

A few late Christmas cards arrived this morning.

And - pass the sick bucket, please, for, a parabola of puke is called for - I have just read that the loathsome Stanley Johnson (father of You Know Who, for, as a friend said, succinctly, "black cat, black kitten"), is applying for French citizenship, blandly remarking, "If I understand it correctly, I am French. My mother was born in France, her mother was totally French as was her grandfather. So for me it is about reclaiming what I already have. "

What an absolute shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2