What are you doing today?

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting that first jab!! Probably tomorrow is when you'll notice some increased soreness and discomfort in that arm. At least this is the way it was for me with Moderna -- didn't notice much of anything until I arose from bed the following morning, and oh, yeah, got a kind of sore arm here.....that lasted a couple of days and then on the third day a little itching at the injection site, but that was that as far as the arm was concerned.

How was your 2nd shot?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Haven't had the second shot yet. First one was on January 21st and with Moderna it is a four-week wait so somewhere around February 18th is when I'll be facing the needle for the second time..... From everything I've heard and read the second dose packs more of a wallop than the first one, and since I've already experienced a few little surprises even with the first dose I suspect that my second one will lay me low for a day or two or three, but I'll manage......

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
finally got notice our new stove would be delivered today between 10 and 2. I did not have al to of work so I stayed home. my wife has missed too much with her eye stuff. they came around 10:30 I put a new cord on it and pushed it in. but the cord sticks uo too far from the plug to get it all the way in. easy fix tomorrow. tested it out broke the oven in to burn off the new stuff. cooked some hot dogs for lunch then rode my bike to work. I only had one thing to do so no hurry. we took the tandem in for a winter tuneup since the wife could not ride for two weeks. they found an issue with one of the brakes a warranty issue and they were going for a replacement sometime next week.
But my wife can ride Friday and she is chomping at the bit. Bike parts can be iffy right now so I found one at a store about 10 miles away according to google. Only 65.00 and when the warranty pone comes in I can keep it or sell it. So I rode out but google either changed the rode as it ended up being 20 miles with a lot of climbing. So I used a bit too much battery trying to get there quick. But coming back was almost all downhill and a much shorter route. But I stopped at work for a fast charge as I was too late together part to the bike shop before they closed.
So a good 30 mile ride and 10 this morning a nice workout.
a cool cemetery this looked like a really neet memorial. a circle with all kinds of stones urns and such. I could not get a pic over the fence as the grass had standing water. the route went past the Oregon zoo on a nice hill poor lonely cow with no children. coming back it was through very rich areas with mansions and Muti story houses. some a block in size.
IMG_2207.jpeg
IMG_2208.jpeg
IMG_2209.jpeg
IMG_2210.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
YAAAAAAY, Alli!!!!! This is terrific news and I can only imagine how over the moon you are right now!!! Wheeeee!!!!!

So, next up: the dissertation......how long will you have to work on that, is there a specific time frame by which it must be completed, submitted and defended? Have you already given some thought as to what you would like to address?
So over the moon! Since the current class has us working on the first three chapters, I expect to be completely finished by December '21. The only thing that could slow me down is difficulty recruiting subjects, but I really don't think that will be much of a problem. I'm doing a phenomenological study, so I only need 6-10 subjects to interview. I'll be addressing the experience of middle school parents dealing with distance learning during the pandemic.

U

User.45

Redoing my CV per institutional requirements at the place I'm applying to. I've always tried to keep it the fewest pages needed (1 for degrees, achievements stuff and the rest for publications). Now I'm forced to spell everything out. So now my CV goes from 6 pages to 30. Pain in the butt...

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Redoing my CV per institutional requirements at the place I'm applying to. I've always tried to keep it the fewest pages needed (1 for degrees, achievements stuff and the rest for publications). Now I'm forced to spell everything out. So now my CV goes from 6 pages to 30. Pain in the butt...

This post is extremely funny when paired with your latest avatar.

U

User.45

This post is extremely funny when paired with your latest avatar.
It checks out..except for the smile. I ignore confeerence abstracts, nobody reads them, nobody cites them....now I've spent the last 2 hours diving into conference proceedings so I can accurately cite these....all 26 of them (this is the first time I even counted).

I also realized I haven't presented anything in 2017. Happiest year in my life. Coincidence?!

Last edited by a moderator:

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
It checks out..except for the smile. I ignore confeerence abstracts, nobody reads them, nobody cites them....now I've spent the last 2 hours diving into conference proceedings so I can accurately cite these....all 26 of them (this is the first time I even counted).

I also realized I haven't presented anything in 2017. Happiest year in my life. Coincidence?!

When you say "conference abstracts", you're not referring to the abstracts of conference papers are you? Medicine seems to vary considerably, but in programming related areas, the ones that are further from pure mathematics tend to favor conference publication. I usually browse abstracts and conclusions before reading them fully, since it's a good way to determine what to read fully.

U

User.45

When you say "conference abstracts", you're not referring to the abstracts of conference papers are you? Medicine seems to vary considerably, but in programming related areas, the ones that are further from pure mathematics tend to favor conference publication. I usually browse abstracts and conclusions before reading them fully, since it's a good way to determine what to read fully.
I am referring to conference proceedings published as presentation abstracts. It's interesting because the physics conferences take abstracts a a lot more seriously. I've coauthored a few of those over the year. My usual brute force approach wouldn't work there (wrapping up a project in a day and submitting within 30min of the deadline).

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I am referring to conference proceedings published as presentation abstracts. It's interesting because the physics conferences take abstracts a a lot more seriously. I've coauthored a few of those over the year. My usual brute force approach wouldn't work there (wrapping up a project in a day and submitting within 30min of the deadline).

Some conferences in my own area allow multiple submissions and have some wiggle room for corrections in camera ready versions. What area of physics? I usually stick to the statistical mechanics literature there, because concepts like detrended fluctuation analysis and strange attractors have direct applications in other areas (in spite of their well documented drawbacks).

U

User.45

Some conferences in my own area allow multiple submissions and have some wiggle room for corrections in camera ready versions. What area of physics? I usually stick to the statistical mechanics literature there, because concepts like detrended fluctuation analysis and strange attractors have direct applications in other areas (in spite of their well documented drawbacks).
I work with MR physicists, but TBH the stuff that requires them is way over my head;)

BTW, Office 360 is crazy... Now it has LinkedIn ads. WTF.
1612527248931.png

Last edited by a moderator:

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I work with MR physicists, but TBH the stuff that requires them is way over my head;)

BTW, Office 360 is crazy... Now it has LinkedIn ads. WTF.
View attachment 3327

Blah. Microsoft is silly. I think I recall basically zero from that topic from my time in university, although I would probably have less trouble with it today than I did back then. A lot of the math isn't as bad as it seems if it's presented well and you have enough exposure to the corresponding areas.

U

User.45

Blah. Microsoft is silly. I think I recall basically zero from that topic from my time in university, although I would probably have less trouble with it today than I did back then. A lot of the math isn't as bad as it seems if it's presented well and you have enough exposure to the corresponding areas.
For me the issue is the constant shifting between systems and approaches. I use molecular biology, signaling, pathology, anatomy, pharmacology and chemistry, psychology, radiology, clinical trial design, scripting, AI, physics. I agree, the underlying math is much easier after 10 years of observing these systems, but at this stage of my career I'm starting to think that I shouldn't punish myself with constantly trying to learn everything for a mediocre understanding when the same but focused effort could get me really good at a few narrow topics.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I had very little to do today so I decided I’d go get a root canal for excitement.

Ouch.

The very best of luck with it.

Chateau moi, I ventured out and ordered (and paid for) French bread and multiseed brown bread, which I shall collect tomorrow.

I also ordered (and paid for) oil, and beer; both are due for delivery tomorrow.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
finally the wife was ok'd for unlimited activity. She is so sick of the eye tests they put her through. hundreds of tests mazes over and over 8 hours a day. but now a couple of weeks before the next one.
the beast tandem was real for pickup after the tune-up so we walked over and took it for a 10 mile spin to get some groceries. my wife missed riding so much.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Just work, work and more work of late. Today is the first time I've logged into my own Mac since last weekend. sigh.

So today its gardening. Well Mrs AFB will point at things and I'll dig them out. Then we can get some new things in that she wants. Lots of things to keep the birds, bees and butterfly's happy. Fence guy should be finished Monday or Tuesday. He's been here since the 11th but has done a very good job. The garden does feel much more private now, but needs a fair amount of planting as we lost a lot of shrubs as he planted fences etc. Won't get it all done this year. But there is never an instant result with gardening like there is with decorating.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Just work, work and more work of late. Today is the first time I've logged into my own Mac since last weekend. sigh.

So today its gardening. Well Mrs AFB will point at things and I'll dig them out. Then we can get some new things in that she wants. Lots of things to keep the birds, bees and butterfly's happy. Fence guy should be finished Monday or Tuesday. He's been here since the 11th but has done a very good job. The garden does feel much more private now, but needs a fair amount of planting as we lost a lot of shrubs as he planted fences etc. Won't get it all done this year. But there is never an instant result with gardening like there is with decorating.

No, gardening takes time.

Or, rather, it takes time for a garden to mature; years, or decades, are the sort of time frames that cultivation of a garden suggest.

Here, reading papers and browsing online.

Oil was delivered this morning, as was a crate of beer.

Top Bottom
1 2