What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'm telling' ya...those things just watch and wait for opportunities like this.

yep they watch us and wait to mess with us.
And, the thing is, firstly, I have an amazing tolerance for warmth and heat, and secondly, not just in Covid times, but in any time, especially winter time, with a frigid cold snap approaching, there are few pleasures more agreeable on this planet than crawling into - and snuggling down in - a nice, warm, bed.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
That’s why you can’t rely on just one thing. The more options, the better. Exponentially more difficult for them to coordinate!

I have an electric blanket, a portable electric heater, and if they both fail, a desktop to that could be set to mine Bitcoin. Granted, power can fail. Hopefully my Ikea Glimma Unscented tealights won’t have conspired with my lighters and matches to keep me in the dark (and cold) then...

Yes, I have a portable electric heater, too.....but, it is not quite the same as an electric blanket.

Well, Covid or no Covid, I think that this coming week will see me venture forth to the city (for the first time since before Christmas) in search of an electric blanket.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Yes, I have a portable electric heater, too.....but, it is not quite the same as an electric blanket.

Well, Covid or no Covid, I think that this coming week will see me venture forth to the city (for the first time since before Christmas) in search of an electric blanket.
No, certainly not the same. My electric blanked provides me with nearly instant comfort directly where it’s most needed. As a bonus, it is also way friendlier to my electricity bills than either of the electric heater or beefy PC are.

I was lucky enough to score my current blanket on sale last Black Friday while having a coupon for free delivery to the door. Felt like the perfect time to use the coupon given the temperature outside and the Covid–19 situation. 🥳

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
No, certainly not the same. My electric blanked provides me with nearly instant comfort directly where it’s most needed. As a bonus, it is also way friendlier to my electricity bills than either of the electric heater or beefy PC are.

I was lucky enough to score my current blanket on sale last Black Friday while having a coupon for free delivery to the door. Felt like the perfect time to use the coupon given the temperature outside and the Covid–19 situation. 🥳

Well, I thought I was covered, as I had an oil delivery on Saturday.....

but, damn; what timing.

Any recommendations re makes and brands and styles of electric blanket?

I realise that this one is actually quite old, for it was a present from my mother (before her dementia developed); she, too, loved her electric blanket.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Honored to having been present when Nephew invented a new game: “throw pacifier, get pacifier back, throw pacifier again”. Got some of it on video as well to his parents’ delight.

Now I’m taking refuge under my electric blanket, watching ice hockey and waiting for some juicy reports from the impeachment thingie. Life is good.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Honored to having been present when Nephew invented a new game: “throw pacifier, get pacifier back, throw pacifier again”. Got some of it on video as well to his parents’ delight.

Now I’m taking refuge under my electric blanket, watching ice hockey and waiting for some juicy reports from the impeachment thingie. Life is good.

An electric blanket sounds good; damned cold here, but the heating is on.

Dinner consumed, washing up done, followed by a post prandial nap, and now, am sipping a beer.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Since we are supposed to be getting more of the White Stuff late tomorrow afternoon/evening and through the night, I decided it would be a good idea to go to the grocery store this afternoon and get what I need rather than waiting until tomorrow when the store will undoubtedly be busy. Now I'm all set once again for whatever the next few days bring....

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was so beautiful today. Went to Lowe’s and got some potting soil, and couldn’t resist more flowers. I now have the daffodils I’ve been wanting in the back yard. Also got this really cool purple flower with an intoxicating scent. Right now it’s staying in the pot just off the deck so we’ll smell it every time we go out the door.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
we always try to get great smelling plants. inside and out. got some dafine that should be blooming an time now its cool to have such a cool smelling plant in the little of winter. also a small Chinese paper bush. we have a bunch of fragrant orchids in the house two or three were blooming. one smells kind of like
IMG_2253.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
When I was at the grocery store today I couldn't resist the invitation of a bunch of daffodils to bring them home with me...... A delightful reminder of what will be along in another month or so once our daffodils that are in the front of the building begin to pop up and bloom. In the meantime I'm enjoying one of my vases now filled with deliciously yellow daffodils, harbingers of Spring......

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
@Alli & @Clix Pix: You have reminded me of daffodils. Lovely.

Yes, a definite purchase. I adore daffodils.

Bins out, emptied, and returned to their niches; flurries of snow; and I am in my study sippping coffee and debating about attending to my French homework.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I couldn't resist the invitation of a bunch of daffodils

Yes, a definite purchase. I adore daffodils.
Before moving south, we had a lovely house just outside of NYC where the land had been left untouched. Lots of trees, etc. But the thing I liked most was that the front yard was almost completely daffodils. In the spring I would go out and cut a few flowers every week so that we would have fresh flowers on the dining table. Now I'll have that again.

Today I shall finish planting the pepper seeds.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Before moving south, we had a lovely house just outside of NYC where the land had been left untouched. Lots of trees, etc. But the thing I liked most was that the front yard was almost completely daffodils. In the spring I would go out and cut a few flowers every week so that we would have fresh flowers on the dining table. Now I'll have that again.

Today I shall finish planting the pepper seeds.

While I like - and sometimes love - other flowers (such as lillies, tulips, montbretia, etc), I adore daffodils, and thrill to their appearance each spring.

Mother, bless her, always planted a few daffodils - in scattered locations around our wonderfully wild garden - for me to enjoy, heralding the approach of spring.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I’m semi-obsessively watching the trial of 45th President of the United States Donald Trump. In spite of the likely outcome, this is fascinating.

And during breaks, I’m working on my grocery list. 😁

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
My electric blanket decided that - as we are faced with and about to head into - the coldest cold snap of this winter - that this was a perfect time to quit.

Bitterly bitingly cold out; had a brief walk this afternoon, and found that my bread had not been kept for me in a local bakery (yes, I was refunded, but would have preferred bread).
No electric blanket or bread? Sounds like a tough day.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
While I like - and sometimes love - other flowers (such as lillies, tulips, montbretia, etc), I adore daffodils, and thrill to their appearance each spring.

Mother, bless her, always planted a few daffodils - in scattered locations around our wonderfully wild garden - for me to enjoy, heralding the approach of spring.
Ours are slowly making progress. But no heads or flowers yet. Snow drops have been out a while though.

Top Bottom
1 2