What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Tonight I'm going to try to remember to go to bed earlier than usual, having got up earlier than usual... all in aid of hoping to avoid awareness of losing an hour of sleep in one fell swoop at the switch to daylight saving time this weekend.

I love the longer light in evening but... the effect of "spring forward" is pretty much a pain in the brain for awhile in March.

Happy Pi Day on Sunday --for those seeking something to celebrate to offset that lost hour of sleep! The other thing I'm doing today is browsing through Take Control books to see if there are any new ones I might want, and so could take advantage of their annual 31.4%-off sale. Lucky for us they decided to slide the decimal point and not just offer us a discount of 3.14% for Pi Day.

Ah, yes.

Clocks change here on the last week-end of March, so, still some time to go.

Pi-Day...that reminds me.

I remember how (around twenty years ago) a former student of mine recommended (quite passionately - a very bright boy, he had also introduced me to the writing of Hilary Mantel, and he gave me his copy of A Place of Greater Safety to read) that I read The Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Had a lovely day today. It actually hit 80, which makes me think it’s gonna be a hot summer. We ran some errands and stopped at a little place near Publix for lunch since they were both empty and had outdoor seating. It was pretty meh, but it was nice to be able to have someone else fix the food and sit outside to eat.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Gardening today. Well this morning. Now the sun has gone in and the wind has grown stronger, so feeling less inclined to venture out again after lunch.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A break between hailstone showers allowed me to venture out to the local shop for my week-end FT, organic milk (and cream), some mineral water, marmalde, and butter.

Now, - depending entirely on the weather - I may sally forth again as beer beckons.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
A break between hailstone showers allowed me to venture out to the local shop for my week-end FT, organic milk (and cream), some mineral water, marmalde, and butter.

Now, - depending entirely on the weather - I may sally forth again as beer beckons.
No beer? That is something you will need to remedy! Hopefully your weather let up like ours did. I got my 3 mile walk in, but was wrapped up well in all my winter paraphernalia. Then as I was nearing home some young girl rolled past on a skateboard. t-shirt and shorts. I did feel old!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
No beer? That is something you will need to remedy! Hopefully your weather let up like ours did. I got my 3 mile walk in, but was wrapped up well in all my winter paraphernalia. Then as I was nearing home some young girl rolled past on a skateboard. t-shirt and shorts. I did feel old!

Yes, that has (since) been remedied.

Beer shall be delivered presently.

I also bought some multi-seed bread (as I doubt that I will manage to get to the French bakery before next week-end), and a couple of croissants, in a local bakery, and visited the pharmacy.

And I said hello to all the lovely daffodils I met (cheerfully blooming, although I was well wrapped up, still attired for winter, wearing my black cashmere overcoat, my camel coloured cashmere scarf, black jeans, black cashmere pullover, black turtleneck, black suede shoes...there is some sort of theme here...)

Anyway, masked and wrapped, I did the needful, managed a brief walk, and I brought a few bottles of beer home with me, carefuly wrapped in my rucksack, in case the beer isn't delivered until tomorrow or Monday, for I know that the owner likes rugby, and is glued (most likely) to his TV today.

I know what you mean about feeling old; last week, in the farmers' market, where it was dry - but bitterly, bitingly, cold - I saw some guys in shorts, a sight which left me speechless; actually, today, (and last week), it is (and was) so cold that my glasses were steaming up outside (and not just indoors...) while masked.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes, that has (since) been remedied.

Beer shall be delivered presently.

I also bought some multi-seed bread (as I doubt that I will manage to get to the French bakery before next week-end), and a couple of croissants, in a local bakery, and visited the pharmacy.

And I said hello to all the lovely daffodils I met (cheerfully blooming, although I was well wrapped up, still attired for winter, wearing my black cashmere overcoat, my camel coloured cashmere scarf, black jeans, black cashmere pullover, black turtleneck, black suede shoes...there is some sort of theme here...)

Anyway, masked and wrapped, I did the needful, managed a brief walk, and I brought a few bottles of beer home with me, carefuly wrapped in my rucksack, in case the beer isn't delivered until tomorrow or Monday, for I know that the owner likes rugby, and is glued (most likely) to his TV today.

I know what you mean about feeling old; last week, in the farmers' market, where it was dry - but bitterly, bitingly, cold - I saw some guys in shorts, a sight which left me speechless; actually, today, (and last week), it is (and was) so cold that my glasses were steaming up outside (and not just indoors...) while masked.
It would be okay if it wasn’t windy. That wind has a nasty chill to it.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yes, it is Sunday, yes, it is Mother's Day (am smiling as I think of Mother), and, for some strange inexplicable reason, I thought that today would be a good day for laundry and bedlinen changes.

So, bedlinen changed, a wash on, and papers being read. And I am keeping a vague eye on some football results, and debating the preparation of an afternoon cup of coffee.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yes, it is Sunday, yes, it is Mother's Day (am smiling as I think of Mother), and, for some strange inexplicable reason, I thought that today would be a good day for laundry and bedlinen changes.

So, bedlinen changed, a wash on, and papers being read. And I am keeping a vague eye on some football results, and debating the preparation of an afternoon cup of coffee.

I'm not even debating the coffee... first morning of Daylight Saving Time warrants at least one extra cup if not two. I like the day light lasting longer but my brain knew what time it really was at 6:30 this morning: FIVE thirty.

First thing I did wrong was fix the one clock that requires manual adjustment aside from the one in the microwave oven. I went to rehang my batt-operated kitchen clock on the wall and mistook by feel the interior edge of the back of the clock for the hanger slot, causing the thing to drop behind the kitchen counter into the black hole of this household... a two inch gap behind the back edge of the freestanding counter and cupboard on the south wall of the kitchen. Ugh.

So fished that out with a coathanger and then fished out the battery which of course had also popped out. Got that with a long wooden dowel after a few tries. Why is it that that battery takes all manner of coaxing out when I actually WANT to remove it, I wonder. Well at least I know how to solve that problem going forward, just drop the clock on the floor again. I'm so pleased.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Finally started laundry, even though I was supposed to put it off a day due to getting my 1st vaccine shot today. The process was smooth and painless. My only anxiety was caused by other recipients that don't understand the concept of social distancing, and a few inattentive staffers focusing more on their phones than lines.

Checking in on my grandmother shortly. We took her to get her 1st shot yesterday. She was going batty trying to start the process herself. Took a couple hours and four Uber+Lyft rides, but that's finally out of the way. Well, at least till early April when she gets her 2nd shot.

Probably skipping my mother in-law's curry tonight. Just discovered that she mostly uses a package starter kit now! :confused: Her older friend died a couple years ago. Supposedly she used her spice mix to make curry and a couple of other dishes. I thought the curry tasted "different," but it down to the cabin fever caused by the Pandemic.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I dodged a bullet today. It had aways been a bit uncomfortable When I do stuff at my daughters house. I aways seem to screw up or do something wrong when I take care of our grand child. If I ever give my son-in-law advice he takes it like I am telling him he cant do it himself.
My daughter asked me to make them a wooden mantle for their remodel. I have some nice walnut in my shop and I thought I was waiting for the to bring the bracket to my shop
Well I guess something went wrong and he decided to do it himself. He has to drill three perfectly accurate deep holes into the wood for the bracket to fit in. He bought a cheap bean from Home Depot to do it. I would find it really hard to drill those three holes accurately in my woodworking shop. He only has some cheap tools and little experience. I was like Man thats actually a relief. They could have had a mantle made out of some very nice walnut now they will have one maybe made out of a pine building timber that has been distressed and burned and stained brown. N a hollow box that would make it stable and it would not crack. But I am glad I know I would have regretted it. I wanted to make it for my daughter but I would not want the pressure.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm not even debating the coffee... first morning of Daylight Saving Time warrants at least one extra cup if not two. I like the day light lasting longer but my brain knew what time it really was at 6:30 this morning: FIVE thirty.

First thing I did wrong was fix the one clock that requires manual adjustment aside from the one in the microwave oven. I went to rehang my batt-operated kitchen clock on the wall and mistook by feel the interior edge of the back of the clock for the hanger slot, causing the thing to drop behind the kitchen counter into the black hole of this household... a two inch gap behind the back edge of the freestanding counter and cupboard on the south wall of the kitchen. Ugh.

So fished that out with a coathanger and then fished out the battery which of course had also popped out. Got that with a long wooden dowel after a few tries. Why is it that that battery takes all manner of coaxing out when I actually WANT to remove it, I wonder. Well at least I know how to solve that problem going forward, just drop the clock on the floor again. I'm so pleased.
Place a small piece of ribbon behind the battery. Then pull out the ribbon to remove the battery.

Top Bottom
1 2