What Movie Are You Watching?

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
No-one knows. Apparently it depends on how well it does on HBO Max (which I find odd). Sounds like they’ve got a draft of the script but I’m guessing that there’s no signed contracts, just options.

So it could be 2-3 years before part 2 - and that’s one helluva gamble.
Hoping the first week numbers gets it done. From what I remember, pre-production is at hand and the script is finalized for Part Two and there may even be a draft for the third movie.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Did they film both parts in the same shoot? Have my answer. -_-
No, but the original plans were for the movie to be solely in theaters. Now the studio is saying any additional movies will depend on how well it does on HBO and understandably Denis is pissed. He's spent years on the project and feels its a waste on HBO and he's being kneecapped/set-up for failure.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
No, but the original plans were for the movie to be solely in theaters. Now the studio is saying any additional movies will depend on how well it does on HBO and understandably Denis is pissed. He's spent years on the project and feels its a waste on HBO and he's being kneecapped/set-up for failure.
When you are talking about 100s of millions- billions in profits my guess is an HBO release puts a kink in that for someone. :oops:

U

User.191

Possibly good news…

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Possibly good news…

Yes!

~$130M international, and it has a ~$17M Friday opening domestically, which is extremely good given the IP + HBOMax concurrent release.

Looks like it'll cross $200M worldwide this weekend, still waiting on the specific domestic numbers, projections are 33-40M.

I only watched about 20 minutes Friday night, it's just stunningly fantastic visually, Sat we were OOT, maybe tonight, I need to make sure I've got a perfect 2+ hours set aside :)

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
“A Trip to the Moon” (HBOMax). I was surprised to find this in their inventory, more surprised still that it’s only 16 minutes and colorized.

It’s amusingly goofy and would make a good party movie in the sense that there’s so much silly stuff to riff on. Just take on the roles of Mike, Tom Servo and Crow and have at it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Looks like it'll cross $200M worldwide this weekend, still waiting on the specific domestic numbers, projections are 33-40M.

High side of the domestic take at $40M, total worldwide gross $220M. I'd say that's pretty good support for the articles saying the studio has alaread green lighted the sequel.

I've even seen a hint of Villeneuve suggesting a trilogy, like maybe taking some ideas from Messiah and Children ...

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
“A Trip to the Moon” (HBOMax). I was surprised to find this in their inventory, more surprised still that it’s only 16 minutes and colorized.

It’s amusingly goofy and would make a good party movie in the sense that there’s so much silly stuff to riff on. Just take on the roles of Mike, Tom Servo and Crow and have at it.
Decades ago I remember an English movie of Jules Verne’s From the Earth to the Moon, anything like that?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Planet Of The Apes (2001)- Wow, this movie got terrible reviews, but I found it to be worthy, ok not as good as the original, but I liked the portrayals, ape humor, and the gist of the story, other than the off the wall ending. :D Paul Giamatti is one of my favorites. Things were looking up, if I had been Wahlberg, I’d have considered staying. :) The original’s ending was much more profound.

You know this is a spoiler. ;)

“You maniacs! You blew it up!
Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!”​

That remake was the Tim Button version, wasn’t it? That was quite entertaining I thought!

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
The Hobbit would have been great as an expensive TV series instead of a trilogy of movies.

I’m shivering at the thought to stretch that little book even further, for me this could have been told in one long movie.

I’m all for fantasy series but even with GOT they made the seasons shorter when they finally ran out of ideas from GRRM.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I’m shivering at the thought to stretch that little book even further, for me this could have been told in one long movie.
With a TV show it would have been perfectly fine to add new stuff rather than simply stretching the book.

I’m all for fantasy series but even with GOT they made the seasons shorter when they finally ran out of ideas from GRRM.
HBO should not have insisted on more seasons than they had planned for.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
With a TV show it would have been perfectly fine to add new stuff rather than simply stretching the book.

HBO should not have insisted on more seasons than they had planned for.

To me the Tolkien books are classics and I don’t want added elements.

I didn’t know HBO made more seasons than Martin had in mind. At this point in time the speed of his releases leaves a lot to be desired, he should finally get the books out!

Top Bottom
1 2