Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ripped from Reddit:

I mean, of course the freedom caucus supported his speakership. His reactionary politics are practically anachronistic and his ideology is shamelessly fundamentalist.

Mike Johnson is...

• ⁠Part of the Regressive Religious Right with close ties to fundamentalist religious groups.
• ⁠Early on in his career he was a senior attorney and spokesman for the Alliance Defending Freedom, a Conservative christian legal advocacy group that wants to outlaw abortion and suppress the LGBTQ community. Alliance Defending Freedom is designated a hate group.
• ⁠Supports nation wide abortion ban, and an end to legal same sex marriage through the overturning of Obergefell v. Hodges
• ⁠Supports restrictions to medical marijuana and refers to it as a "gateway drug"
• ⁠Like Emmer, he supported and signed on to Texas v Pennsylvania in an effort to challenge the election results
• ⁠He voted to overturn those results in Pennsylvania.
• ⁠Supports an end to military aid to Ukraine.
• ⁠Johnson has remarked that his career is dedicated to "defending religious freedom, the sanctity of human life, and biblical values, including the defense of traditional marriage, and other ideals like these when they’ve been under assault."
• ⁠As a State Rep he sought to put forth legislation that protected people who discriminated against same sex marriage partners.
• ⁠He voted to repeal the ACA
• ⁠Proposed cuts to medicaid and social security
• ⁠Voted for Trump's tax cut legislation that disproportionately benefitted the wealthy.
• ⁠He was 1 out of 147 Republicans to vote to overturn the election results.
• ⁠Voted against a January 6 commission
• ⁠He reportedly does not even believe in climate change
• ⁠One of his committees wrote a statement in support of books on conversion therapy that were recently taken down from Amazon. (So basically a supporter of conversion therapy)
• ⁠He has opposed expanding medical marijuana access in his state and in his defense argued specifically that Marijuana can worsen some health conditions like epilepsy. (The context is important, his views on weed are outdated, he refers to weed as a "gateway drug". He went fishing for whatever he could find and take out of context to support his rigid stance. A study did find some adverse effects with epileptics, however, CBD/medical marijuana is also used in treatments for epilepsy)
• ⁠He voted in favor of Trump's Muslim ban.
• ⁠Has campaigned against LGBTQ rights and anti bullying legislation.
• ⁠He has supported similar legislation to Florida's "don't say gay" bill.
• ⁠Has referred to homosexuality as "unnatural" and a "dangerous lifestyle". He even argued in an editorial in his local Louisiana Newspaper that homosexuality would eventually lead to the destruction of "the entire Democratic system", and the legalization of pedophilia of course.
• ⁠While working for the ADF, he supported criminalizing homosexuality.
• ⁠He has argued in favor of including prayer and religious expression in public schools.

This dude is a walking anachronism, I mean fuck, I'm getting Scopes Trial vibes from him, Inherit The Wind and all that. He's about as fundamentalist and regressive as they come these days, not to mention far right in his indiscriminate support of Trump's election fraud lies.

It's no wonder he got the vote, the freedom caucus wouldn't have settled for anyone any less extreme.

Seems he slots right in (get it, a lame pun) into today's republican party. And like trump, lies as effortlessly as most people breathe.

A far cry from Nixon's Republican Party who were actually principled legislators and on-board with the notion of law and order. Back then Republican congressional members demanded Nixon resign or they would immediately begin impeachment proceedings.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ripped from Reddit:

I mean, of course the freedom caucus supported his speakership. His reactionary politics are practically anachronistic and his ideology is shamelessly fundamentalist.

Mike Johnson is...

• ⁠Part of the Regressive Religious Right with close ties to fundamentalist religious groups.
• ⁠Early on in his career he was a senior attorney and spokesman for the Alliance Defending Freedom, a Conservative christian legal advocacy group that wants to outlaw abortion and suppress the LGBTQ community. Alliance Defending Freedom is designated a hate group.
• ⁠Supports nation wide abortion ban, and an end to legal same sex marriage through the overturning of Obergefell v. Hodges
• ⁠Supports restrictions to medical marijuana and refers to it as a "gateway drug"
• ⁠Like Emmer, he supported and signed on to Texas v Pennsylvania in an effort to challenge the election results
• ⁠He voted to overturn those results in Pennsylvania.
• ⁠Supports an end to military aid to Ukraine.
• ⁠Johnson has remarked that his career is dedicated to "defending religious freedom, the sanctity of human life, and biblical values, including the defense of traditional marriage, and other ideals like these when they’ve been under assault."
• ⁠As a State Rep he sought to put forth legislation that protected people who discriminated against same sex marriage partners.
• ⁠He voted to repeal the ACA
• ⁠Proposed cuts to medicaid and social security
• ⁠Voted for Trump's tax cut legislation that disproportionately benefitted the wealthy.
• ⁠He was 1 out of 147 Republicans to vote to overturn the election results.
• ⁠Voted against a January 6 commission
• ⁠He reportedly does not even believe in climate change
• ⁠One of his committees wrote a statement in support of books on conversion therapy that were recently taken down from Amazon. (So basically a supporter of conversion therapy)
• ⁠He has opposed expanding medical marijuana access in his state and in his defense argued specifically that Marijuana can worsen some health conditions like epilepsy. (The context is important, his views on weed are outdated, he refers to weed as a "gateway drug". He went fishing for whatever he could find and take out of context to support his rigid stance. A study did find some adverse effects with epileptics, however, CBD/medical marijuana is also used in treatments for epilepsy)
• ⁠He voted in favor of Trump's Muslim ban.
• ⁠Has campaigned against LGBTQ rights and anti bullying legislation.
• ⁠He has supported similar legislation to Florida's "don't say gay" bill.
• ⁠Has referred to homosexuality as "unnatural" and a "dangerous lifestyle". He even argued in an editorial in his local Louisiana Newspaper that homosexuality would eventually lead to the destruction of "the entire Democratic system", and the legalization of pedophilia of course.
• ⁠While working for the ADF, he supported criminalizing homosexuality.
• ⁠He has argued in favor of including prayer and religious expression in public schools.

This dude is a walking anachronism, I mean fuck, I'm getting Scopes Trial vibes from him, Inherit The Wind and all that. He's about as fundamentalist and regressive as they come these days, not to mention far right in his indiscriminate support of Trump's election fraud lies.

It's no wonder he got the vote, the freedom caucus wouldn't have settled for anyone any less extreme.
There's nothing that will change this disgusting idiot's mind about any of these issues. But every Republican who voted for him today, especially the people in districts where Biden won or was close, should have to answer for themselves when they're up for re-election.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Watched some of his speech and he was this close to having us all join hands in prayer after all of his God talk. Yeah, this guy is as radical as they come.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The real winner here is Matt Gaetz. I listened to him on The Beat, and he is parlaying his antics into legitimate political and governing power. He is like Trump, but more humble and far smarter.

I don’t want to sound like I like the guy - I do not. Especially what he stands for. But I recognize the danger. He works on other issues that have broad support - privacy protections and the federal decriminalization of marijuana. He has legitimate political victories under his belt. He escaped a DoJ investigation. He drives his caucus nuts, then goes in front of the camera and just says “Hey, they make it personal, it’s not personal. This is just policy.” He thinks fast and puts forward arguments that are reasonable if you didn’t know who he was. He’s not as erratic and undisciplined as Trump.

When he talks about the speakership, he makes it clear that McCarthy didn’t stay “in the guardrails” (that he set up), and he’s going to do “everything possible to make sure he (Johnson) succeeds”. That sounds more like someone pulling strings than voting. And it wasn’t egotistical, that’s just my interpretation, but it’s not wrong; Gaetz almost single-handedly allowed McCarthy to become Speaker, and was one of 8 who removed him.

Johnson as Speaker sounds like the entire GOP still caving, just with a lesser-known name. I’m willing to give him a chance, but the fact Gaetz and Trump are behind this guy is not a good sign. It’s not a good sign for Johnson either, because the one-member motion to vacate is still on the table.

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen

Video evidence of Johnson's homosexual activities in 4…3…2…

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Johnson as Speaker sounds like the entire GOP still caving, just with a lesser-known name. I’m willing to give him a chance, but the fact Gaetz and Trump are behind this guy is not a good sign. It’s not a good sign for Johnson either, because the one-member motion to vacate is still on the table.
I was terrified of Jordan winning, but this feels like the same outcome. If Trump makes it to the general and the election is close it’ll be very ugly.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I was terrified of Jordan winning, but this feels like the same outcome. If Trump makes it to the general and the election is close it’ll be very ugly.

He's off to a bad start. I'm a supporter of religion - especially the religions of those who are religious and never try to foist their beliefs on me. Religion is cool - for you. Leave me out of it.

I like what Adam Kinzinger called Speaker Johnson - Jim Jordan in drag.

I'll give him a shot, time will tell how he does. The good news is, if he does a good job, I'll call him Speaker Johnson. And if he does a poor job, I'll call him Speaker "Johnson", if you catch my drift.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

This was a masterclass in how fascism works. Flood the zone with chaos until you exhaust the moderate squishes to squish. This was made all the more apparent when during the press conference journalists asked about Johnson’s MAGA beliefs and they were literally told to shut up. Johnson is going to be the MAGA McConnell, find the results of his logic despicable but he’s eloquent at defending that logic.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
This was a masterclass in how fascism works. Flood the zone with chaos until you exhaust the moderate squishes to squish. This was made all the more apparent when during the press conference journalists asked about Johnson’s MAGA beliefs and they were literally told to shut up. Johnson is going to be the MAGA McConnell, find the results of his logic despicable but he’s eloquent at defending that logic.

Yeah, and while we love to focus on the guy at the top, keep in mind that you still need an inner circle of folks working with you to keep the thing running. It feels a bit like some of these folks are doing this because they want a seat at that table, and care less about who the face is so long as their goals are advanced as well.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, and while we love to focus on the guy at the top, keep in mind that you still need an inner circle of folks working with you to keep the thing running. It feels a bit like some of these folks are doing this because they want a seat at that table, and care less about who the face is so long as their goals are advanced as well.

Another reason I heard that some of these members cave to mob rule is that they are too dumb to get paid as well in the private sector and they know it. Does anybody expect big things for Boebert once she’s out of office? It’s kind of an odd shift from people who get into office as a stepping stone to something more lucrative once out of office to people who get into office to be a chaos agent who will be virtually unemployable once out.

Top Bottom
1 2