Will Kevin McCarthy become Speaker?

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
As of a minute ago, 22 House members have voted for someone other than Jordan or Jeffries. It's likely all or at least most were from Republicans, which means Jordan will lose again unless votes are changed before the tally is complete.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
As of a minute ago, 22 House members have voted for someone other than Jordan or Jeffries. It's likely all or at least most were from Republicans, which means Jordan will lose again unless votes are changed before the tally is complete.
Screen Shot 2023-10-20 at 9.22.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-20 at 9.22.06 AM.png

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
20, 22, 25... And still not giving up.

Apparently Jordan never took a Having Fun With Numbers class in junior high school.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder how bad he wanted the job really. If he did want it 😳….you thought this guy was an asshole before 🤣

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
He just lost the secret ballot to remain nominee.
So they're "starting over" Monday night. I'm sure that'll go well. CNN reported the following about Jordan from George Santos:

Rep. George Santos said Jordan has to make the decision on whether it’s time for him to drop out — but noted he is still behind him.

“If he thinks it's time for him to step down that's on him. I still support him,” said Santos.

He added that he expects the members will have “real, open conversations,” during their conference meeting and argued that the eight members who voted to oust former Speaker Kevin McCarthy should not “auto-censure” themselves in a bid to appease holdouts.

“Some of my colleagues are circulating letters that they're gonna auto-censure themselves. That's not what's needed here. We need to come together as a team, have a real conversation in there, as uncomfortable as it is, we're all adults,” said Santos. “So that we can figure out what's the path is for all the come to the floor and vote for him for speaker.”

Why is any news organization quoting anything Santos says? That he is still in the House is a travesty, though it's obvious the Republicans don't want to lose his seat in a special election.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
They should nominate Santos in the next go around. Why not?

Making Santos ringmaster of the current republican circus makes a ton of sense. He has the credentials. And some stylish glasses to make him look smart - just like Rick Perry! Oooops.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The GOP is 5% radicals, 5% republicans with something stiff enough to be considered a backbone, and the other 90% are chickenshits who love their jobs... as long as doing the right thing and making tough decisions isn't part of it. Or legislating, for that matter.

Apparently, this isn't enough of a crisis to the GOP that they're going to be bothered sticking around for the weekend and working. How much time have they wasted in the last two and a half weeks? I get it, whipping up votes isn't easy, but its surely not any easier when everyone heads home?

Anyways, the fact they wasted a week trying to get Jordan in the Speakership really shows you how far gone these people are. They are in this position because of Trump, and the best they could come up with is someone who is almost certain to continue the same BS that led them to where they are. It truly is astounding Jordan got more than a dozen votes.

I loved watching the saga unfold on Breitbart, they were really geeked and pushing the idea that Speaker Gym would be a reality. Then as the news got more grim with each day, they started negative stories on the holdouts.

I'd flip a coin and say the odds are 50/50 we'll see Kevin McCarthy giving an endorsement speech for Matt Gaetz, or possibly MTG. They should put Jeffries on the GOP secret ballot, he may turn out to have the most votes.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'd flip a coin and say the odds are 50/50 we'll see Kevin McCarthy giving an endorsement speech for Matt Gaetz, or possibly MTG. They should put Jeffries on the GOP secret ballot, he may turn out to have the most votes.
Jeffries wouldn't need many Republicans to get the position, but they'd never want it known they voted for a Democrat. A bunch of potential Republican candidates are coming out of the woodwork now that Jordan is out. Hoping some of them are reasonable and can get the votes - the clock is ticking.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Jeffries wouldn't need many Republicans to get the position, but they'd never want it known they voted for a Democrat. A bunch of potential Republican candidates are coming out of the woodwork now that Jordan is out. Hoping some of them are reasonable and can get the votes - the clock is ticking.
Agreed, it's just not a realistic expectation for either side. Also hoping they move on to someone rational who can step in and get to work.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
It’s just a damn shame the only thing these do-nothings can get to 217 on is going home for the weekend. They are united in that if nothing else.

Agreed, it's just not a realistic expectation for either side. Also hoping they move on to someone rational who can step in and get to work.

That’s a big ask from this party. It’s the sane and most rational choice, so I expect them to intentionally blow up the party for good before ever letting that happen.

Top Bottom
1 2