Will Kevin McCarthy become Speaker?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I disagree. I think it is a win for everyone.

These "leaders" need to be reminded who they work for, and that applies to both parties. Taking one down every once in a while may wake them up a bit.
I think it's holding the party hostage for the extremists, just as an AOC would do for the Democrats.

Republicans only seem to have one goal, multiple investigations, and how that benefits the American people is beyond me.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think the morning meetings went well. BoBo is out blasting McCarthy. Lots of tweets and retweets with other "no" votes blasting McCarthy and leadership. Could be a last minute act of desperation but they will vote present or for McCarthy, but its not looking good with a few hours before voting begins.

There will be no democrat absences or present votes. McCarthy can afford four votes if all his members are there. Not looking good.

McCarthy raised his voice in the meeting as he animatedly teed off on his opponents, detailed all the concessions he has made and said that it hasn’t been good enough, two sources said.

“I’ve earned this job,” he said.
“I’m not going to go away. I’m going to stand until the last four friends stand with me," he said, according to a source.
McCarthy also swore in his speech, dropping a “god damnit.”

A source called it a fiery speech and said McCarthy made clear he would negotiate no more. Another source told CNN that McCarthy took his opponents "to the woodshed like I've never seen.”

McCarthy said opponents came to him with “personal asks” on Monday night, such as committee assignments and special assignments.

Rep. Lauren Boebert yelled “bullsh*t” in response to his speech, according to a source.

GOP Rep. Mike Rogers, a McCarthy ally and incoming Chair of the House Armed Services, said in the meeting that anyone who votes against McCarthy won't get a committee, two sources tell CNN.

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Has McCarthy ever shown that he has a spine? Why wouldn’t they squeeze him right up until the last second to get whatever they can?

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don't think the morning meetings went well. BoBo is out blasting McCarthy. Lots of tweets and retweets with other "no" votes blasting McCarthy and leadership. Could be a last minute act of desperation but they will vote present or for McCarthy, but its not looking good with a few hours before voting begins.

There will be no democrat absences or present votes. McCarthy can afford four votes if all his members are there. Not looking good.

McCarthy raised his voice in the meeting as he animatedly teed off on his opponents, detailed all the concessions he has made and said that it hasn’t been good enough, two sources said.

A source called it a fiery speech and said McCarthy made clear he would negotiate no more. Another source told CNN that McCarthy took his opponents "to the woodshed like I've never seen.”

McCarthy said opponents came to him with “personal asks” on Monday night, such as committee assignments and special assignments.

Rep. Lauren Boebert yelled “bullsh*t” in response to his speech, according to a source.

GOP Rep. Mike Rogers, a McCarthy ally and incoming Chair of the House Armed Services, said in the meeting that anyone who votes against McCarthy won't get a committee, two sources tell CNN.

this_is_fine.jpeg

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm imagining the 9 GQP holdouts voting* "Present," therefore lowering the total vote count to 425. Qevin McSpineless would therefore win the Speakership by one vote if all the other GQP members voted for him: 213 to 212.

* eventually! After a couple rounds of votes with Biggs (and possibly others) getting votes.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
So if I understand this right, he'll get voted down so many times before eventually being voted in? Not sure what the worse case outcome is here. 🤷‍♂️

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The House Clerk is in charge right now. This marks the first time a black woman has been in charge of the chamber.

*Well, we've got four names on the republican side - McCarthy, Biggs, Jordan and Banks. Its not that uncommon, but its standing out like a sore thumb because of the close vote and the fact they've had six weeks to sort this out and haven't done so.

**McCarthy just lost his five votes. Most likely going to another round.

Last edited:

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
The House Clerk is in charge right now. This marks the first time a black woman has been in charge of the chamber.

*Well, we've got four names on the republican side - McCarthy, Biggs, Jordan and Banks. Its not that uncommon, but its standing out like a sore thumb because of the close vote and the fact they've had six weeks to sort this out and haven't done so.
It was great hearing "The Bad Brotha from Brooklyn... Hakeem Jeffries!!" Not sure who stated it, it may go viral :)

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
First time in a century the speaker vote will go to a second round.

I honestly don't know what to expect now. The republican margin is so thin, the freedom caucus folks can deny McCarthy for as long as they want. The "voting present" trick will only work if they have exact math, because if too many republicans vote present, then Jeffries can win the speakership without too much work.

The freedom caucus has also indicated they may have other tricks up their sleeve in future rounds of voting. Strap yourself in folks, this could get ugly.

If you didn't know any better, by the mood in the room, you'd think democrats were taking control of congress.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Already 7 Republican renegade votes. So there will be at least one more round as McSpineless will not reach the 218 majority needed.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
The "voting present" trick will only work if they have exact math, because if too many republicans vote present, then Jeffries can win the speakership without too much work.
I think they'll hold off for future rounds. They can afford 9 "Present" votes if every other Republican voted for KM. There will be no plurality vote as that would usher in Speaker Hakeem Jeffries of Brooklyn.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Imagine if the Rs had voted in competent people who didn't have an extreme agenda... This wouldn't be another black eye on the American Political climate.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not only did McCarthy lose five, then nine - which was the number of people who we knew would probably be "no" votes (14 total) - but now he's up to 15. There are quiet members who have stayed out of the fray not voting for McCarthy. How many can they get to a "yes" vote?

And the voting isn't over. It's only the first round, some of these could be protest votes that will come around, but man... McCarthy must feel humiliated.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not only did McCarthy lose five, then nine - which was the number of people who we knew would probably be "no" votes (14 total) - but now he's up to 15. There are quiet members who have stayed out of the fray not voting for McCarthy. How many can they get to a "yes" vote?

And the voting isn't over. It's only the first round, some of these could be protest votes that will come around, but man... McCarthy must feel humiliated.
I read that he threatened those that voted no, to not seat them on committees. "When he wins." Yikes!

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I need to run out, but the vote stands at:

Hakeem Jeffries at 177
Kevin McCarthy at 167

Biggs has 10. Jim Jordan has at least 4. And six eight other Republicans have at least one vote. Jeffries will clearly have the most votes after this 1st round. @GermanSuplex you have it absolutely correct: this is a humiliation of epic proportions for the Spineless fool from California.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
McCarthy
Biggs
Jordan
Donalds
Zeldin
Banks

House GOP have cast votes for six different people. Again, probably not unheard of during a normal year where the party leader has the votes locked up in advance, but a bigger issue when the party is fractured and fumbling control of the house right from the starting moments.

*Second round starting. Matt Gaetz ripped McCarthy on the house floor as he nominated Jim Jordan - who just gave a speech nominating McCarthy. Insane.

**Biggs voted for Jordan. Looks like the freedom caucus is trying to strongarm Jordan (or anyone but McCarthy) into the job. Jordan is respected in his caucus, but what a horrible speaker. It would make the MAGA folks happy though. Jim Jordan is part of the reason McCarthy is in the position he's in now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2