Will Smith did *what?*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
He seemed to have laughed at the joke. So not sure what went on there. My wife thinks Jada said something to him.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I wonder if this is real or if this just a ploy for the Oscar’s to gain some attention considering no one watches them. The most attention they seem to get in recent history are articles talking about how poor the viewership is.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Chris Rock was being his usual dick-ish self. Will Smith was all emotions. Wound up especially tight with anxiety and nervousness. And just set off. He's been fighting for an Oscar for 20 years. He probably thought it was going to be another winless night. And just was overwhelmed by Jada's reaction. Saying he shouldn't have hit CR is pointless. He did. He'll have to deal with it on the night he finally got to hold Oscar in his hands as a winner.

He'll be alright. Chris will be alright. Life will move on. As a friend constantly says: "It is what it is."

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, that was wild, we were watching the live broadcast, so got the cutaways which made it much harder to figure out what happened, if it was a bit, or even just an off the cuff thing by Smith, but still "joking around".

I could see what he mouthed when he sat back down, and his face didn't read as "joking". Then of course, Twitter lit up, the international viewers started posting the unedited version, holy hell.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Smith owes Rock a giant apology which, unless I missed it, he failed to offer while he was asking every other motherfucker in the Academy for forgiveness.

Rock’s joke was lame, but when Smith approached him he clearly thought Smith was messing around. I would have thought the same, Smith’s a funny guy. So then Smith sucker punches him on live TV while Rock is working. Fuck that.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like Jada has an autoimmune condition that causes her to lose hair, so I can see why there would be sensitivity. Of course, how would Rock know that? And the whole joke lasted a few seconds, so smith didn’t do his wife any favors by drawing massive attention to it.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram

Bloody hell.
That was more than a bit out of order.
Smith can consider himself lucky it didn't escalate and that he isn't in the slammer.

I mean, that was a pure, aggressive physical attack.

Sounds like Jada has an autoimmune condition that causes her to lose hair, so I can see why there would be sensitivity. Of course, how would Rock know that? And the whole joke lasted a few seconds, so smith didn’t do his wife any favors by drawing massive attention to it.
Sure, but this is something you handle differently.

Not that I hold the Oscars in any place of esteem — on the contrary — but just be civilised.
Physical attack is never appropriate.

Smith could have kept it verbal if he wanted to express himself.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Bloody hell.
That was more than a bit out of order.
Smith can consider himself lucky it didn't escalate and that he isn't in the slammer.

I mean, that was a pure, aggressive physical attack.

Sure, but this is something you handle differently.

Not that I hold the Oscars in any place of esteem — on the contrary — but just be civilised.
Physical attack is never appropriate.

Smith could have kept it verbal if he wanted to express himself.
Agreed, I can see how some would think it was staged but the biggest giveaway was Chris Rock's seemingly genuine reaction to it, afterwards he was clearly thrown off as he tried to read for the category. Then you could see the rage in Will Smith's eyes as he said all that stuff after. IMO this was genuine, and a little sad.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Agreed, I can see how some would think it was staged but the biggest giveaway was Chris Rock's seemingly genuine reaction to it, afterwards he was clearly thrown off as he tried to read for the category. Then you could see the rage in Will Smith's eyes as he said all that stuff after. IMO this was genuine, and a little sad.
Definitely not staged. He was genuinely angry.

If ever there was a time for “When they go low, we go high” it was right there.

What makes it doubly sad IMHO is the current war situation. People are all going "Peace! End the war!" Yellow and Blue ribbons… and Bam! This happens.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Because she's talked about her condition publicly for awhile ( 3 years I think ) now. Something she's had a for a few years, and shared publicly to help others deal with it. It wouldn't matter to CR though, because Jada's been a regular target of his jokes before, so to him this was just business as usual. Basically CR walked into that situation where a child makes a joke to another like "Go cry to your mommy", only to find the other child's mother just recently passed. It's meant to be a joke at someone's expense but not knowing or caring it becomes something hurtful. The targets of his jokes aren't people, but props to keep the people engaged. So why know anything about them?

I also mentioned earlier that CR decided not to press charges, which means it's a thing that happened, and now everyone can move on. Except they won't, and the Oscars got some 'real' international attention.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Definitely not staged. He was genuinely angry.

If ever there was a time for “When they go low, we go high” it was right there.

What makes it doubly sad IMHO is the current war situation. People are all going "Peace! End the war!" Yellow and Blue ribbons… and Bam! This happens.
I found it disturbing that during the commercial break everyone was going up to smith to comfort HIM. what about the guy he hit?

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Chris Rock was being his usual dick-ish self. Will Smith was all emotions. Wound up especially tight with anxiety and nervousness. And just set off. He's been fighting for an Oscar for 20 years. He probably thought it was going to be another winless night. And just was overwhelmed by Jada's reaction. Saying he shouldn't have hit CR is pointless. He did. He'll have to deal with it on the night he finally got to hold Oscar in his hands as a winner.

He'll be alright. Chris will be alright. Life will move on. As a friend constantly says: "It is what it is."
And therein lies the problem. Even by shock-comedy standards, Rock went too far, especially knowing that he was speaking to a large audience of his "peers" and a massive worldwide television audience. And Smith gave into the same type of impulses that cause people to commit road rage and other acts of violence. That he thought he might be overlooked for an Oscar is irrelevant. He being “alright” is not OK in my opinion. Society is too forgiving of people who behave badly and then claim to be remorseful to avoid the consequences. I think the Academy should take back his award.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
His joke, her condition not withstanding, was still pretty mild when you look at how these comedians all roast each other. Look back at some of the celebrity roasts over the years and they're downright brutal, to the point it's just mean and not even funny. The Oscars have been no exception either so this was not really something we shouldn't have expected, Will Smith's reaction sure was though.

On that topic if you want to see some epic roasts search YT for Don Rickles, it was a different time but you'll laugh your ass off.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
His joke, her condition not withstanding, was still pretty mild when you look at how these comedians all roast each other. Look back at some of the celebrity roasts over the years and they're downright brutal, to the point it's just mean and not even funny. The Oscars have been no exception either so this was not really something we shouldn't have expected, Will Smith's reaction sure was though.

On that topic if you want to see some epic roasts search YT for Don Rickles, it was a different time but you'll laugh your ass off.

Yep. I mean, do you think will and jada have never made a joke about anybody’s appearance? I suppose they may be saints, but I’m guessing they may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2