Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It was a turn off to me so much so that I didn't even want to watch his acceptance speech after the attack, and you can bet that Chris Rock woke with a sore jaw and some bruising. No matter how you slice it, that was assault.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Reactions from the crowd...

FO5zyLEVUAEq-HQ

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Just saw that the Academy is going to do a “formal investigation” of Smith.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
well I am sure his wife thought he was an idiot after he said Hold my beer.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with what he did.

Don't joke about someone's health issues and there will be no problems.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes, it was assault, no one can question that. Chris Rock didn't press charges so I guess nothing will be done, although LAPD was contacted and is aware of the situation.
Technically, it’s my understanding that it could’ve been classified as assault, simple assault, or assault and battery, depending on the jurisdiction. I favor battery because the moment was electric and charges may have ensued.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Not sure what they'll do but at least there's video lol.

I would guess ban him from their events and/or whatever organization/membership he has with them, which I suppose just results in no more Academy awards attendances or nominations[?]

Wow, did he seriously fuck up an amazing moment for Questlove.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Are they also going to do an investigation into Chris Rock as well? After all, it was what he said that caused the incident in the first place.
The thing is all hosts have done this for as long as I can remember, come out and roast people in the audience. I doubt there will be any action taken there, it was a low blow but hardly justified assault.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are they also going to do an investigation into Chris Rock as well? After all, it was what he said that caused the incident in the first place.
He was assaulted during their event by one of their winners while he was working for them. They probably shouldn’t provoke him further unless they want to get sued.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I agree, this did not justify assault! It was a poorly chosen "joke" and unfortunately Chris Rock apparently hit a sensitive nerve with Jada Pickett Smith, which is certainly understandable. I think it was because this wasn't a casual "roasting" of something which wasn't an important part of her life, but this aimed at something which is actually related to a medical situation. If he'd joked about some role she played in a film or on TV or a costume she'd worn, that would have been different. But he was getting close to the bone here.

What if he'd made "jokes" about the deaf actors in CODA using sign language? Would THAT have been considered funny and harmless?

Yes, Will Smith could and should have chosen a different approach to express his concerns, rather than physical violence. He was on edge already and I guess he just imploded and exploded. I suppose it is good that he only slapped Chris Rock and didn't haul off and sucker-punch him so that the guy landed on the floor unconscious.

Well, the Academy will do whatever it's going to do; I don't think that they would take Will Smith's Oscar away from him, but they could indeed bar him from further participation in the Academy and related events.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
In this case, "investigation" is really just an internal review of the possible actions, it's not like everything isn't already known.

- Chris Rock made a joke that didn't violate any FCC regulations or any laws
- Will Smith used profanity and physically assaulted someone

That's it.

So sure, the Academy could impose a sanction against Rock because or "poor taste", that's subjective.

Here's an additional take from April Watts, a black woman with some perspective on the hair situation:

1648502228161.png

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's overblown. The Academy fucked up by allowing CR to present after his disastrous hosting a few years ago. Y'know, the previous incident were he targeted Jada and made sexually inappropriate comments about another Black woman. And was allowed to have a very unfunny anti-Asian stereotype skit. It appears he went off script last night and wrote a check his ass couldn't cash. Will was a bundle of nerves/anxiety and I think he just reached a breaking point. It appears he was ready to punch CR till he went the slap route.

The runup to last night was going to be emotional no matter what happened. He's always been emotional and I think he probably wishes he could take it all back. But he can't. It's up to him if he wants to apologize to CR. I think there's something more than just that so-called joke.

With the GGs being cancelled last year and hopefully getting away from the likes of Gervais, maybe hosts and presenters can stop making shit too personal/way below the belt. As veteran comedian Marsha Warfield said last night: "It's never just a joke."

BTW: the Academy would do well to stop with the shitty jokes/skits. IIRC, someone here (or FB?) mentioned the groping by co-host Regina Hall. Will they investigate that as well? How does that get approved when Weinstein and his many, many enablers is still a stain on the Academy?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, I agree about the general state of the Academy Awards. I love movies, I enjoy the academy selection process, the discussion with other film buffs over who/what should/shouldn't get a nom, who should win, listening to podcasts about the same - but they're a shit show, a cheesy variety show that does very little to enhance people's love of film.

That's one of my fave podcasts about movies, and that's a link specifically to the reaction episode from last night ;)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Oh, I agree about the general state of the Academy Awards. I love movies, I enjoy the academy selection process, the discussion with other film buffs over who/what should/shouldn't get a nom, who should win, listening to podcasts about the same - but they're a shit show, a cheesy variety show that does very little to enhance people's love of film.
I thought the ladies did a great job of hosting though and Amy especially nailed it, we laughed through a lot of their bits.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Re: April Watts and her tweet: That's an interesting perspective.... I have little knowledge of some of the things alluded to in that tweet or whatever it was, especially the inner workings of the marriage relationship between Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith or what issues either of them may discuss with their therapists if they have any.

I have a friend (who is White) who has alopecia and she has dealt with it for about five years now. It really is not an easy situation for anyone, regardless of race, but particularly a woman, as hair -- its color, its length, its texture, its styling, its shininess..... well, yes, is a big deal in our current society. Some people's very identity seems to be wrapped up in how they style their hair. Being robbed of this is devastating. My friend wears wigs or sometimes scarves when going out in public.

Actually, a lot of Black women that I've seen have very short or shaved hair and to be honest, before all this happened last night, I looked at Jada Pickett Smith and thought, "wow, she looks stunning!" She is a beautiful woman who can carry off a shaved or bald head much, much better than many other people could. Even so, that doesn't make this situation of alopecia any easier for her than for anyone else who is also struggling with this disorder. Of course she is going to be sensitive about it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2