WWDC 2022: What was Announced

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This probably is what sells me on a 13” iPad, TBH….
I’ll stick with my smaller iPad (I tried the larger one year). My iPad will still be ultra portable, and I can plug right into my external monitor for screen space.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I wonder how Stage Manger will work with Split View. Will it push the Split View to the right so you can see the Stage Manager "side bar", or will it obscure it? Would be nice to have the option to move the Stage Manager side bar to another display.

i'm guessing it will either split the split view into windows, or you just can't mix and match split view with stage manager

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder how Stage Manger will work with Split View. Will it push the Split View to the right so you can see the Stage Manager "side bar", or will it obscure it? Would be nice to have the option to move the Stage Manager side bar to another display.
I’d be happy if they got rid of split view entirely.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Did miss anything about TVOS?

I only use the Apple TV app on my Apple TV when watching these presentations. Never noticed it actually combines a lot of my content from various sources.

Weird seeing the Apple TV telling me to watch 'The Boys'.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
I’d be happy if they got rid of split view entirely.
I don't use Split View to achieve this; I use Size Up, which works great. I've got the the G4 and G5 buttons on my Logitech G502 gaming mouse programmed to do left screen and right screen, respectively. [I just referenced "Split View" in my post because I figured folks would be more familiar with it than Size Up.]

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Did miss anything about TVOS?

I only use the Apple TV app on my Apple TV when watching these presentations. Never noticed it actually combines a lot of my content from various sources.

Weird seeing the Apple TV telling me to watch 'The Boys'.

The opening had a bunch of stuff about automation, that had some TVOS overlap (as the hub/controller), but nothing really much about any other improvements, even around the different gaming discussions.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Store is up, here's the configuration / pricing for the new M2 MBA:

1654542181841.png

Memory Options

1654542231881.png

You can also upgrade the 256GB storage model with the 8/8 Core SOC to the 8/10 core:

1654542311293.png

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
It makes me realize the seeming real separation is the port selection.

If you are a 'pro' you may want the memory card, if you don't need you go with the Air.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
The Air/13" MBP are still limited to one external display (two total). That's a bit disappointing. The SOP for many offices these days is two externals, and this locks them out of that market.

I recall this interview with Samsung in which they said they'd be mass-producting 24 GB LPDDR5x RAM stacks* in 2022; 32 GB stacks won't be available until 2024-2025 ( https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-and-samsung-webinar-talks-raphael-overclocking-ddr5-future ). Wonder if they're using LPDDR5x in the M2 Air, or if it's just increased-density LPDDR5. I guess we'll find out soon enough....

[*The chips will be 24 Gb; with 8 chips to a stack, this gives 24 GB.]

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Overall there's a lot of really cool changes coming, pretty happy with this one. @Cmaier Great job adding it all to the first post of this thread BTW.

Thanks. We can expand on these things as we learn more.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
The Air/13" MBP are still limited to one external display (two total). That's a bit disappointing. The SOP for many offices these days is two externals, and this locks them out of that market.

I recall this interview with Samsung in which they said they'd be mass-producting 24 GB LPDDR5x RAM stacks* in 2022; 32 GB stacks won't be available until 2024-2025 ( https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-and-samsung-webinar-talks-raphael-overclocking-ddr5-future ). Wonder if they're using LPDDR5x in the M2 Air, or if it's just increased-density LPDDR5. I guess we'll find out soon enough....

[*The chips will be 24 Gb; with 8 chips to a stack, this gives 24 GB.]
This likely will never change as it would involve putting more controllers into the SOC. Now they did increase the Memory bandwidth by 50% which was a prerequisite but they do seem to be clearly delineating between Pro and Non Pro devices - and multi display seems to be a Pro thing.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Apple introduced Metal 3, with new tools for game developers, along with upscaling technology. They also had the lead developer for "Resident Evil: Village" on stage to announce an Apple Silicon version. I'm sure the crowd over at MR are going to be pleased by this and not at all irrationally upset. But hey, "Apple doesn't care about gaming".

Also, notable is what wasn't announced: no information on an Apple Silicon Mac Pro.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
System requirements for macOS Ventura:

• iMac (2017 and later)
•‌ iMac‌ Pro
• MacBook Air (2018 and later)
• MacBook Pro (2017 and later)
• Mac Pro (2019 and later)
• Mac mini (2018 and later)
• MacBook (2017 and later)

Basically, anything pre-2017 is out. I had assumed that Apple would move quickly to deprecate Intel models faster than a lot of folks had assumed, and that appears to be the case.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Comparing the size and weight of the new Air to the old one:

The widths are identical, and the weight and depth are about the same—the new Air is 0.1 lbs. lighter, and 0.1" deeper.

The latter was likely to accommodate the 0.1" increase in screen height from 7.3" (1660 pixels@227 ppi) to 7.4" (1664 pixels@224 ppi) needed for the notch. I.e., they did the same thing here as on the MBP's: It's a 16:10 aspect ratio plus more pixels on top of that for the notch. Display width increased by 0.1" (from 2560/227 = 11.3" to 2560/224 = 11.4"), so that's probably where you'll see the narrower borders they mentioned: A 0.05" reduction on the each side.

The main difference is in thickness. The old Air varies from 4.1 mm to 16.1 mm; the new Air is consistently 11.3 mm. The average thickness of new Air is ~20% less, since the presentation said its volume was 20% less.

Last edited:

ArgoDuck

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Canon
Question to those knowledgeable: the reference to 20% higher performance on the cpu side…this doesn‘t necessarily translate to single-core speed right?

I noted bigger cache, higher memory bandwidth and did I catch mention of higher clocking, etc, but a ‘performance’ boost overall isn’t quite the same as any single metric like SC scaling up by 20% - or is it?

Edit: oops, I see apple insider lists "18% faster" CPU, which I guess I missed. Perhaps the general thrust of my question still stands though

Last edited:

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
Store is up, here's the configuration / pricing for the new M2 MBA:

View attachment 14652

Memory Options

View attachment 14653

You can also upgrade the 256GB storage model with the 8/8 Core SOC to the 8/10 core:

View attachment 14654
I'm very likely to go with the Midnight 8-core CPU, 10-Core GPU, 24 GB/1 TB model. Either sell my current 16 GB/1 TB M1 MBA or trade it in for $540. That $540 seems a bit low but the no hassle trade in is hard to beat. I will end up paying about $1500 for 100 nits, 18% M2 performance improvement, 2 extra GPU cores, 0.3" of extra screen, a notch (shrug), 0.1 pounds lighter, ProRes encoder/decoder (which I have no use for), 1080p camera, and a really cool new color.

Top Bottom
1 2