WWDC 2022: What was Announced

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Some bit of plumbing that was left out of the presentation about Ventura:

macOS security gets even stronger with new tools that make the Mac more resistant to attack, including Rapid Security Response that works in between normal updates to easily keep security up to date without a reboot.

One of the biggest complaints about modern macOS is the size of updates. Sometimes, a patch for a single vulnerability will be multiple gigabytes. It looks like Apple is working to reduce the necessity for those gigantic downloads, making it so that a Mac won't always need a reboot.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
macOS security gets even stronger with new tools that make the Mac more resistant to attack, including Rapid Security Response that works in between normal updates to easily keep security up to date without a reboot.
iOS gets Rapid Security Response too, IIRC. Nice.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I added “unannounced” to the wiki post at the top of this thread for things I’m finding that were not announced. Like, now you can see your wifi passwords in the settings app :)

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
Swap on iOS and iPadOS will be a game changer.

Not just for Apple but will clearly differentiate the Apple devices from competitor android machines (in terms of capability) that use cheaper crappier flash or even run the bulk of their content from micro SD.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Swap on iOS and iPadOS will be a game changer.

Not just for Apple but will clearly differentiate the Apple devices from competitor android machines that use cheaper crappier flash or even run the bulk of their content from micro SD.

Question: is there swap on iOS? Or just iPadOS?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
To be fair I’ve only read the summaries and haven’t watched the keynote yet (it would have started around 1am here)

I don’t think they gave an answer, but the discussion of swap came during the iPad portion. I would not be surprised if there is no swap yet on iPhone. That could even be something that differentiates iPhone Pro vs. iPhone in the future models.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not much to go on for M2, but the faster memory bandwidth and ability to have more physical memory is most interesting to me. Certainly must be avalanche and blizzard. No ray tracing in the GPUs is notable, but that seems like something that would come in the 3nm node, I guess - physical die Area must be at a premium since they are still at 5nm, and ray tracing isn’t small, is my understanding.
What dictates the amount of RAM that a CPU can address? I find it somewhat counterintuitive that the M2 can't address, for example, 32GB of RAM. I get why having more bandwidth is difficult, but why is supporting more RAM capacity difficult? I know that a couple decades ago computers had much higher headrooms (i.e. the PowerMac G3, which shipped with 64MB standard but could go up to 1024MB), but nowadays a lot of CPUs seem to be much more limited in the RAM capacity they support, compared to the 'standard' or average configuration.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Display scaling on iPad:

1654557148065.png

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What dictates the amount of RAM that a CPU can address? I find it somewhat counterintuitive that the M2 can't address, for example, 32GB of RAM. I get why having more bandwidth is difficult, but why is supporting more RAM capacity difficult? I know that a couple decades ago computers had much higher headrooms (i.e. the PowerMac G3, which shipped with 64MB standard but could go up to 1024MB), but nowadays a lot of CPUs seem to be much more limited in the RAM capacity they support, compared to the 'standard' or average configuration.

Could be a number of factors. Address bits is one (of course each additional address bit doubles the amount of addressable RAM). The size of structures like TLBs and caches (more so the TLBs than the caches - caches just get less efficient at a given size if RAM increases). Etc. Could also be physical factors - power, package area, etc.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Haven’t found a way to edit the Lock Screen on iPad. Maybe that’s just an iPhone thing? Or maybe simply not implemented yet.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Could be a number of factors. Address bits is one (of course each additional address bit doubles the amount of addressable RAM). The size of structures like TLBs and caches (more so the TLBs than the caches - caches just get less efficient at a given size if RAM increases). Etc. Could also be physical factors - power, package area, etc.
Oh that makes sense. Thanks!

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I don't know if they mentioned it on the keynote (I may have missed it), but on the SOTU they presented Swift Charts, which is a super powerful API for charts. I had missed something like that (1st party) for years.

Top Bottom
1 2