WWDC 2022: What was Announced

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know if they mentioned it on the keynote (I may have missed it), but on the SOTU they presented Swift Charts, which is a super powerful API for charts. I had missed something like that (1st party) for years.

Oh, really? I haven’t watched that yet. I spent so much time doing my own UIViews for charts…

1654558221898.png

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yup, Gurman was actually right about the new "System Settings" redesign. Here's a more detailed image:

settings.png

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just tried the thing where you can drag objects out of photos. It’s wild.

It gets a little weird with Live Photos - you have to tap and hold but not too long otherwise it starts animating. So you sort of tap-pause-drag before it can animate.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
I recall this interview with Samsung in which they said they'd be mass-producting 24 GB LPDDR5x RAM stacks* in 2022; 32 GB stacks won't be available until 2024-2025 ( https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-and-samsung-webinar-talks-raphael-overclocking-ddr5-future ). Wonder if they're using LPDDR5x in the M2 Air, or if it's just increased-density LPDDR5. I guess we'll find out soon enough....

[*The chips will be 24 Gb; with 8 chips to a stack, this gives 24 GB.]
Come to think of it, the M2 probably does use LPDDR5 rather than LPDDR5x, since the 50% increase in bandwidth stated by Apple corresponds to the difference between LPDDR4x (which is in the M1) and LPDDR5. LPDDR5x, by contrast, is 33% faster than LPDDR5, and would thus have twice as much bandwidth as LPDDR4x (1.33 x 1.5 = 2.0).

[The M1 Pro, Max, and Ultra use LPPDR5.]

Last edited:

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
yeah, but if that’s the biggest tidbit he was able to extract from his sources, his well is running dry.
Absolutely. Gurman obviously still has sources, but they're somewhere on the fringes. His best source gave him basically every detail about the M1 generation, but what he's released since has been either conjecture or vague hints around the edges. If a revamped preferences pane is the best he could do, while missing Stage Manager, then he's definitely playing a weak hand.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Absolutely. Gurman obviously still has sources, but they're somewhere on the fringes. His best source gave him basically every detail about the M1 generation, but what he's released since has been either conjecture or vague hints around the edges. If a revamped preferences pane is the best he could do, while missing Stage Manager, then he's definitely playing a weak hand.

he’d say: “i got stage manager. I said ‘different ways of interacting’“

Dude banned me on twitter a long time ago, apparently for something I said like “I think Gurman is wrong.“. So he seems like a dick.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve updated the wiki on the first post again to add a bunch more features that were not announced today but which have been discovered.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Major support drops with this set of OSs. watchOS drops the Series 3, iOS drops iPhone 7 and iPod Touch, macOS drops any Mac released before 2017.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Major support drops with this set of OSs. watchOS drops the Series 3, iOS drops iPhone 7 and iPod Touch, macOS drops any Mac released before 2017.

Yep. Honestly, I think that’s good news. I notice that the downloads are smaller, Xcode is smaller, everything is snappier, and this beta is remarkably stable compared to prior years.

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
Apple introduced Metal 3, with new tools for game developers, along with upscaling technology. They also had the lead developer for "Resident Evil: Village" on stage to announce an Apple Silicon version. I'm sure the crowd over at MR are going to be pleased by this and not at all irrationally upset. But hey, "Apple doesn't care about gaming".

Also, notable is what wasn't announced: no information on an Apple Silicon Mac Pro.
There will be inconsolable rage, devastation and huge disappointment that Apple ignored the need to accelerate fish-fingers chess benchmark. Especially when an AMD ryzen laptop can run circles around the m1, has neon blue strip lighting and comes pre-packaged with a nice foot heater/grey power brick.
Don’t get me started about cinebench… I don’t actually use it, but I’m offended and very disappointed that Apple screwed me over by not accelerating it for that toy story film I had planned in my head.
I’ll nurse this disappointment in the corner with a nice Tequillia sunrise and listen to Celine Dion “my heart will go on”.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yep. Honestly, I think that’s good news.
For the Mac, it's great news for security, because it cuts everything out that doesn't have a T2 or Apple Silicon. It seemed rather arbitrary to cut Macs from before 2017, but looking from that perspective, it makes sense.

Anyone want to speculate about how many more updates Intel Macs get? I'm guessing macOS 15 will be the last x86 release, with roughly two years of security patches afterward. Keep in mind, I'm being optimistic; I wouldn't be surprised if the next release is the last for Intel.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Anyone want to speculate about how many more updates Intel Macs get? I'm guessing macOS 15 will be the last x86 release, with roughly two years of security patches afterward. Keep in mind, I'm being optimistic; I wouldn't be surprised if the next release is the last for Intel.
Agreed. Next year is a bit too soon, but I don't expect Intel Macs to be supported after 2024.

Top Bottom
1 2