Abortion is illegal in Texas

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched Meet the Press this morning and most of the panelists agreed that the Texas abortion law is backfiring for the GOP. The consensus seemed to be that the ”bounty“ issue is a huge turn-off to voters, and likely will be referred to constantly by Democrats as cruel and un-American in the next election cycle. In addition, it might get Democrats to get motivated the same way Republicans were for the last couple decades: to change the Supreme Court. How many Republicans claimed they didn’t like Trump but they had to vote for him because of the Supreme Court? Now that we have a court apparently forcing far right-wing policies on America, I can see Democrats being very motivated to vote.
the bounty is just a wet dream for the crazy section of pro lifers.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
the bounty is just a wet dream for the crazy section of pro lifers.
Agreed. I have a feeling it will be bad news for them on Election Day though.

One of the panelists asked why CA couldn’t pass a law offering bounties to anybody who spotted somebody buying a gun under the same pretense as the TX law.

The GOP is now like the dog caught the car… it doesn’t know what to do with it.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I watched Meet the Press this morning and most of the panelists agreed that the Texas abortion law is backfiring for the GOP.
I think it's going to as well. Personally, I can't think of anything more motivating to send women to the polls against the GOP.

Unless it's...

Much of the movement’s efforts center on when a fetus or an embryo is entitled to rights, she said, which has led a number of states to propose “personhood” legislation over the years. The bills typically define human life as beginning at the moment of fertilization and propose legal protection from that moment.

Such bills could gain momentum and affect access to contraceptives or what happens to unused embryos in in-vitro fertilization procedures, said Jessica Arons, senior advocacy and policy counsel for reproductive freedom at the American Civil Liberties Union.
“Certainly, their long-term goal is not just to eliminate legal abortion in this country. It is to enshrine personhood in our laws,” Arons said.
My bold.

This is the party that claims the government has no business in your business.

Keep an eye on the news. You may have to stock up on condoms and birth control pills before they're through.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Our winning tweet of the day, comes from the 1st A 'itself'...
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1434872659628544009/

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

From the people riding the d- of their state gov't who wanted to weaponize their zealot citizenry to circumvent federal gov't to remove the choice of a part of their citizenry. Whining that a company doing what's in their rights & best interests is controlling the 1st A.

F'N stunning. 🤦‍♀️ :rolleyes:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

From the people riding the d- of their state gov't who wanted to weaponize their zealot citizenry to circumvent federal gov't to remove the choice of a part of their citizenry. Whining that a company doing what's in their rights & best interests is controlling the 1st A.

How long do you think it will be until this law is repealed by the legislature?

It seems they‘ve shot themselves in the foot.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I don't think they will.

Anything that goes wrong, will of course be the fault of others.

It's SOP.
Good point. Even if this bill becomes toxic to the party, flipping on it would be admitting defeat, something GOP politicians are quite allergic to, based on what I saw in the aftermath of the 2020 elections.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score

It's sad how many people I see everyday on Twitter that don't understand the 1A.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I don't really follow right-wing media, but have heard they are trying to talk about this as little as possible. They know this move is unpopular with a majority of Americans, and honestly, I don't think female reporters could handle the heat if they were cornered to defend it.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
the Satanic Temple of Salem, Massachusetts, a perennial thorn in the side of Christian fundamentalists who try to pass off their theocratic impulses as "religious freedom." The Temple, which is a pro-secular organization and does not literally worship Satan, routinely pulls stunts like suing states that display Christian imagery on public grounds to make them also display Satanic imagery. The group also stands for reproductive rights, and as Brett Bachman reports for Salon, is fighting the Texas abortion ban by declaring that abortion is one of their sacred rituals, making the ban a major imposition on their free expression of religion.

:ROFLMAO:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Man with no legs (to speak of) says women do not have to worry about abortions due to rape because rape is illegal in Texas.
Arrest and conviction rates for rape are extremely low:

Rape is the easiest violent crime to get away with in the United States. On average, less than 1% of sexual assaults ever lead to conviction.

Let me break that number down. According to the Justice Department's most recent National Criminal Victimization Survey, only 23% of rape or sexual assault victims reported the crime to police.
Of those who do report, the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting database shows that only about 20% of reports lead to arrest. According to the nonprofit Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, which analyzes national data regarding sexual assault and rape, only about half of arrests lead to trial.

The most reliable data on conviction rates comes from a Justice Department study that analyzed convictions between 1990 and 2009. That study concluded that rape trials end in conviction around 35% of the time.

Taken together, this means that only about 0.8% of assaults lead to a conviction.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Did they repeal the law while I wasn’t looking?
No.

But they are correct, you can still get an abortion in TX.

It's finding someone willing to risk being fined because over zealous lawsuit empowered individuals who should have no involvement in one's business are waiting to sue individuals into oblivion. Which was the end around strategy. The state didn't actually make abortion illegal or even get rid of it, they just made the penalty for a woman to exorcise her federal right so onerous for her & anyone involved, that suddenly trips out of state are being planned when they weren't before.

Think of it like a law passed by a grinning asshole you'd punch in the face as if they were a nazi. It's a law intended to circumvent a national law that a few don't like, to impart their desires on the greater number who do like the law.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Did they repeal the law while I wasn’t looking?

It is restrictive, but not completely illegal.

Here is how I see it. I figure I will get slammed, but here goes anyway. In 1973 Roe provided that abortion would be legal up to 24 weeks. That seems reasonable. Basically end of 2nd trimester and inline with most of Europe's laws. But that wasn't enough for some.

So several Blue states expanded that to basically allow it at any time up until the baby is born. So since the Blue states wanted to expand on Roe one way, the Red states did the opposite doing their best to restrict it within Roe. Most have been struck down by the courts.

But this TX law is different and I understand why people might be a bit scared. Those dumbass lawmakers in TX might have found a way to outsmart their foes allowing for the restriction, yet making a court challenge much harder. I expect several states to follow.

Perhaps we would have been better off leaving it at 24 weeks where neither side is happy.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
No.

But they are correct, you can still get an abortion in TX.

It's finding someone willing to risk being fined because over zealous lawsuit empowered individuals who should have no involvement in one's business are waiting to sue individuals into oblivion. Which was the strategy. The state didn't actually make abortion illegal or even get rid of it, they just made the penalty for a woman to exorcise her federal right so onerous for her & anyone involved, that suddenly trips out of state are being planned when they weren't before.
But no abortion providers are currently carrying out the procedure for anybody over 6 weeks pregnant. And many people don’t know they are pregnant until later than that. So as a practical matter, it’s nearly impossible to get an abortion in Texas.

It can be perfectly “legal” for me to buy a bacon cheeseburger but if nobody is selling bacon cheeseburgers, I can’t buy one.

Top Bottom
1 2