Abortion is illegal in Texas

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
But no abortion providers are currently carrying out the procedure for anybody over 6 weeks pregnant. And many people don’t know they are pregnant until later than that. So as a practical matter, it’s nearly Impossible to get an abortion in Texas.

It can be perfectly “legal” for me to buy a bacon cheeseburger but if nobody is selling bacon cheeseburgers, I can’t buy one.
Once again, "impossible", but NOT "illegal".

It's more intentional playing with things, then actual concern for what the consequences maybe down the road. As it's been pointed out, other states with 'r' governors up for re election are racing to copy this. These are all states with higher priority matters on their hands currently, but no 'f's are given, it's time to pander. So we've got Satanists coming up with their own workarounds via religious exemption. That's just the start of things to come. The door is open due to the lack of exemptions, for rapists to sue their victim if they try to have an abortion after 6 weeks. That's going to play so well for 'r's if it happens in the court of public opinion. Especially if it's blonde blue eyed good Christian girl, who if it's in Texas make it worse if she was raped by a repeat offender that is a PoC.

But not "illegal".

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
It is restrictive, but not completely illegal.

Here is how I see it. I figure I will get slammed, but here goes anyway. In 1973 Roe provided that abortion would be legal up to 24 weeks. That seems reasonable. Basically end of 2nd trimester and inline with most of Europe's laws. But that wasn't enough for some.

So several Blue states expanded that to basically allow it at any time up until the baby is born. So since the Blue states wanted to expand on Roe one way, the Red states did the opposite doing their best to restrict it within Roe. Most have been struck down by the courts.

But this TX law is different and I understand why people might be a bit scared. Those dumbass lawmakers in TX might have found a way to outsmart their foes allowing for the restriction, yet making a court challenge much harder. I expect several states to follow.

Perhaps we would have been better off leaving it at 24 weeks where neither side is happy.
There is indeed no solution that will satisfy all parties. However, I don't think most proponents of a woman's right to choose desire abortion availability after around 24 weeks, except in specific circumstances, such as when the woman's health is at risk. (24 weeks is often considered the point where a fetus is able to survive outside the uterus. But that depends on many factors, including the availability and quality of supportive care, as well as biological differences between fetuses.) Still, I agree with you that 24 weeks is a reasonable compromise.

The Texas law represents zero compromise because women usually aren't aware of their pregnancy at six weeks, often beyond. The net effect will be to deny abortion to women who don't have the means to travel out-of-state, as I expect lawmakers' daughters who become pregnant will do. Equally egregious is the enforcement precedent that financially incentivizes people to spy on their neighbors over a procedure that remains constitutional under Roe v Wade.

What concerns me even more, though, is the case that the Supreme Court has agreed to hear, in which the State of Mississippi has asked the Court to overturn Roe. I'll be surprised if that doesn't happen or some other further restrictions are put in place.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I think there are ironies at play here. Roe v. Wade originated out of Texas, which might explain why they so want to terminate it there. But the foundation of the ruling was a privacy right inferred from the due process clause of 14A, meaning a woman's decision to end her pregnancy is nunya, but here is Texas contradicting that position, essentially saying that it is allya bidness.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I think there are ironies at play here. Roe v. Wade originated out of Texas, which might explain why they so want to terminate it there. But the foundation of the ruling was a privacy right inferred from the due process clause of 14A, meaning a woman's decision to end her pregnancy is nunya, but here is Texas contradicting that position, essentially saying that it is allya bidness.
It seems that upholding this law would mean rejecting well over a century of precedent concerning the 14th amendment. This gives more credence to the belief that the current “conservative” justices are pure ideologues with no respect for the law or precedent.

They might have thought that the law didn’t violate Roe v Wade, but they should have easily spotted its violation of privacy… they simply chose not to so that abortion could be almost completely illegal in the 2nd biggest state in America.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

What a crazy world we live in where corporates do the right thing when governments won't. We are truly heading into the corporate run dystopian future, as governments continue to lose their power and relevance.

It's quite interesting, to me, that a group of people who purport to be the most freedom loving of all Americans, are now keen for a snitch system that reminds me of Stasi and similar operations throughout communist Eastern Europe in the 80s.

It pains me to say this, but I have increasingly believed during the Trump years that we are seeing the end of the US as we know it. I am now quite sure of it. This Texan law is equally terrifying and ingenious in how far it can be pushed by bad actors.
It was not clear 30 years ago, but it is now, this is an evolution of the USA, a mutation, a battle for the soul of the country our founding fathers created. If a human being, the country would be in the ICU. The Trump creeps are equivalent to the bad genes we carry, that eventually manifest themselves into disease.

Yes, I blame Trump as a propellant that caught fire, but he is just ugly the pox that appears on the surface. The real diseases is circulating in our blood stream. Will there be enough T-cells to knock this virulence back or will we succumb? :oops:

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey no problem with women getting pregnant when raped Abbott has the solution to that.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Promises To ‘Eliminate All Rapists’​

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) defended his state’s six-week abortion ban on Tuesday, dismissing concerns that it does not provide exceptions for pregnancies that result from rape or incest.
First, he said, “it provides at least six weeks for a person to be able to get an abortion.”

Second, Abbott essentially promised to get rid of rape in the state of Texas.

“Rape is a crime,” he said. “And Texas will work tirelessly to make sure we eliminate all rapists from the streets of Texas by aggressively going out and arresting them and prosecuting them and getting them off the streets.”

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey no problem with women getting pregnant when raped Abbott has the solution to that.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) defended his state’s six-week abortion ban on Tuesday, dismissing concerns that it does not provide exceptions for pregnancies that result from rape or incest.
First, he said, “it provides at least six weeks for a person to be able to get an abortion.”

“Rape is a crime,” he said. “And Texas will work tirelessly to make sure we eliminate all rapists from the streets of Texas by aggressively going out and arresting them and prosecuting them and getting them off the streets.”

Koolaid for the suckers. :oops:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1435350965415149571/
Great job so far. I'm sure Texas is psyched he's finally looking into this thing.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
So several Blue states expanded that to basically allow it at any time up until the baby is born.

No, they'd didn't. 3rd trimester abortions are still illegal in all but the most extreme of circumstances. The whole spiel about liberals allowing an abortion as the child comes out the birth canal is propaganda spread about by the anti-abortion folk for emotional shock.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched Meet the Press this morning and most of the panelists agreed that the Texas abortion law is backfiring for the GOP. The consensus seemed to be that the ”bounty“ issue is a huge turn-off to voters, and likely will be referred to constantly by Democrats as cruel and un-American in the next election cycle. In addition, it might get Democrats to get motivated the same way Republicans were for the last couple decades: to change the Supreme Court. How many Republicans claimed they didn’t like Trump but they had to vote for him because of the Supreme Court? Now that we have a court apparently forcing far right-wing policies on America, I can see Democrats being very motivated to vote.

Honestly I think Republicans got drunk on being able to steamroll Democrats during the Trump years in legislation, obstruction, and not being held accountable for anything from being lightning-round hypocrites to 1/6 being little more than a patriot field trip. Sure, they took some losses in 2020 but it was nowhere near a bloodbath. Frankly, I still see Democrat politicians being a little more than a speed bump to Republicans continuing to do more of the same.

So that leaves it all up to voters and, if we’re going to be honest, I wouldn’t put much faith in that based on recent history. Again, no voter bloodbath to reflect on.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Honestly I think Republicans got drunk on being able to steamroll Democrats during the Trump years in legislation, obstruction, and not being held accountable for anything from being lightning-round hypocrites to 1/6 being little more than a patriot field trip. Sure, they took some losses in 2020 but it was nowhere near a bloodbath. Frankly, I still see Democrat politicians being a little more than a speed bump to Republicans continuing to do more of the same.

So that leaves it all up to voters and, if we’re going to be honest, I wouldn’t put much faith in that based on recent history. Again, no voter bloodbath to reflect on.
Their platform is “government bad; Hulk smash”

So, when they are in the minority, they do everything they can to block all legislation.

When they are in the majority, they pass almost nothing. I guess the message is “sure we didn’t pass anything, but since government is bad, that’s actually a good thing!” At some point people get tired of it though. When the infrastructure of America is collapsing, even the GOP members were willing to sign onto a $1 trillion piece of legislation.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
When they are in the majority, they pass almost nothing.

I think you are forgetting Trump’s massive tax cut for the rich, the first Covid package which was largely epic scale FREE STUFF for the rich, and the current state of the Supreme Court. What they didn't pass was because they didn't want it to pass. That’s a pretty exhausting level of success.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I think you are forgetting Trump’s massive tax cut for the rich, the first Covid package which was largely epic scale FREE STUFF for the rich, and the current state of the Supreme Court. What they didn't pass was because they didn't want it to pass. That’s a pretty exhausting level of success.
They passed basically one thing when they had full control - the Trump tax cut. The COVID relief was bipartisan because the House was controlled by the Democrats at that point. Judges are not legislation…

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
They passed basically one thing when they had full control - the Trump tax cut. The COVID relief was bipartisan because the House was controlled by the Democrats at that point. Judges are not legislation…

The Republicans pushed the first Covid bill to be ripe for fraud and favoring those at the top first and foremost, and I don't remember what the ultimate outcome/compromise was, but also with as little oversite as possible. Judges are better than legislation. They are the final word and it's a lifetime position.

I'm not disagreeing that people are going to get tired of their shit when the fruits of their labor start knocking on their door, but they're also never short of scapegoats and a base that will always go with the scapegoat when its offered.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Like the Dems don't? Both parties do it and to suggest otherwise is being dishonest.
You took one part of my statement out of context. I was talking about the combination of blocking legislation by the right and then refusing to even try and pass anything when they actually get in power. The Dems block stuff they are opposed to, but they are not afraid to actually put forward legislation when they have the numbers.

When the Republicans got into power in 2017, they promised “repeal and replace” and they didn’t do squat. They left it in place except for the penalty for people that don’t buy coverage (and that change was in the one and only substantial legislation they actually passed - a tax cut for the rich). They block when they are in the minority, and they do nothing when they are in the majority. Then they go out on the campaign trail saying “See, Washington doesn’t work! Government bad!” Yeah, they refuse to do anything, and blame ”Washington” for their own failings.

Top Bottom
1 2