Canadian "Freedom Convoy" protests

• Thread starter Deleted member 215
  • Start date

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
So now do we use this example to label the entire movement a terrorist organization that is nothing but violent people wanting to kill people like how the right labeled the BLM protests?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
So now do we use this example to label the entire movement a terrorist organization that is nothing but violent people wanting to kill people like how the right labeled the BLM protests?
No.

We have to judge this movement by the color of their skin, NOT the content of their character.

Haven't you guys learned anything since MLK day in the states?

:rolleyes:

:cool:

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

Wait until they successfully start a fire before you start the accusations.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Wait until they successfully start a fire before you start the accusations.
Then we can start the accusations, they did that already.

As I posted earlier, supposedly some nutters decided to set fire to an apartment building. Some of the more extreme have taken to attacking the unappreciative residents who don't appreciate the ( probably aka known as "political discourse" by the RNC ) occupation.

This has taken a life of it's own, that can't be compared to any protests in recent memory.

Renzatic

Reaction score
This has taken a life of it's own, that can't be compared to any protests in recent memory.

The BLM marches could be considered protests, punctuated with the occasional out of control riots.

This has more in common with the Seattle occupation, mixed with an indiscriminate harassment campaign.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The BLM marches could be considered protests, punctuated with the occasional out of control riots.

This has more in common with the Seattle occupation, mixed with an indiscriminate harassment campaign.
The Seattle occupation was also (correct me if I’m wrong) actual Seattle residents. These are out-of-towners terrorizing the local residents. The whole thing is a bad look for a country supposedly known for nice people.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

I think the difference here is that for some time the citizens of that area got along somewhat with the protestors.

I don't remember anyone having their apartment building set on fire, with the asshats taping the main doorway shut to prevent escaping.

I am trying hard to remember even when people proudly flew racist symbology that has nothing to do with the actual cause.

This is something new and even more extreme where the occupying force ( let alone avoiding the supposed rhetoric about blockades of food & stuff ) seems to have no issue terrorizing or threatening those that live there.

Even the courthouse that the former 2X impeached president & his lawyer lackey Barr was attacked during night time hours to avoid the risk of casualties.

You know this a case where things are judge by color & not content, by looking at Fox news' coverage. The only negative coverage they seemed to find, is with the guy who drove a pickup truck thru the protests. NOT with anything involving the citizens being terrorized. During BLM let a window break, and they wanted the Nat'l Guard out there yesterday.

I'm sorry but when Ted Cruz is rooting you on & championing your cause, you know you're on the wrong end of everything. :cautious:

Last edited:

Renzatic

Reaction score
The Seattle occupation was also (correct me if I’m wrong) actual Seattle residents. These are out-of-towners terrorizing the local residents. The whole thing is a bad look for a country supposedly known for nice people.

Let's call it what it is: a pointless showing of power, and complete disregard for the concerns and wellbeing of others. It is a march for selfishness and entitlement, made palatable by claiming it's for freedoms and rights.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Of course you all know I prefer everyone to be vaccinated but in this case I would ask what risk truckers really pose to others here? You would think they would get more benefit from hemorrhoid cream since they're basically sitting alone all day long.

Got to say that was a Randy Johnson breaking ball to the knees you threw me there. :)

D

Deleted member 215

We all need to accept the fact that, no matter what happens during these protests, the BLM riots will be Whatabout'ed in response to any criticism of it.

Definitely, but that's going to be the case for a long time now. Any protest/riot on the right is going to be compared to BLM. And many of the comparisons are valid. The comparisons don't cease to be valid just because we disagree with the ideology of the protesters. Violence/mayhem is violence/mayhem. You may believe the violence and mayhem was justified in the name of racial justice and not in the name of opposition to a vaccine mandate or in stopping a democratic process, but it's difficult to avoid the comparison when the surface actions are similar.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
We all need to accept the fact that, no matter what happens during these protests, the BLM riots will be Whatabout'ed in response to any criticism of it.
As seen elsewhere on the forum, the BLM marches were treated exactly the same by right-wingers as the civil rights marches in the 1960s. Somebody who was just walking by, not even part of the march, spits out their gum on the sidewalk, and they suddenly call it a lawless rioting mob. The double standard is there for all to see.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
No.

It's a whatabout for a group of people who don't mind protests whether in DC on Jan 6th or now in Canada, based on the specific people protesting. From those people I couldn't give two shits about, because they've already exposed themselves and what they really are about.

This is a cause that's been hijacked & unlike the BLM protests those with any say aren't loudly decrying it. That also says more than enough.

As I said, this is a new creature. Like what we saw on the 6th last year, it's a creature allowed to grow & morph, because it's NOT about a specific set of lives mattering. It's a thing that started out as a thing of freedom of expression, that's turned into something that demonstrates the imagined entitlement some imagine they have over others.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Definitely, but that's going to be the case for a long time now. Any protest/riot on the right is going to be compared to BLM. And many of the comparisons are valid. The comparisons don't cease to be valid just because we disagree with the ideology of the protesters. Violence/mayhem is violence/mayhem. You may believe the violence and mayhem was justified in the name of racial justice and not in the name of opposition to a vaccine mandate or in stopping a democratic process, but it's difficult to avoid the comparison when the surface actions are similar.
For those that watch Fox News, they might find the surface actions similar. For those who actually look at the facts, one can see that the BLM marches were overwhelmingly peaceful. They are certainly nothing like this event in Ottawa, and they are DEFINITELY not like the Jan 6 attack on America’s Capitol.

When BLM protests were at their height, I watched a number of livestreams on Twitch. One that I liked was a grid of 9 live feeds. One of the 9 was a Fox broadcast, which kept going back to a 30-second clip of looting in Philadelphia, at least a dozen times in just the couple hours I watched. The other feeds showed live cameras from random people’s phones... and one saw people standing around, holding signs, and when it got late you’d see a wall of cops storm a group of peaceful people just standing around... just like you saw with Trump’s famous Bible stunt.

There were a few idiots doing idiotic stuff like smashing a car, but they were extreme outliers from the overall movement, and generally pretty far away from the big crowds. Let’s not get into revisionist history where BLM marches are the same as Jan 6 and this Ottawa takeover.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Got to say that was a Randy Johnson breaking ball to the knees you threw me there. :)
My take is if you are not going to be around other people then it's your own business. However, anytime they put others at risk they should be mandated and there's an argument to made when/if they are in public.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
My take is if you are not going to be around other people then it's your own business. However, anytime they put others at risk they should be mandated and there's an argument to made when/if they are in public.

But can't the vaxxed spread it just as easily?

I guess another way of looking at it is would you rather the truckers be in their cabs alone 95% of the time, or be at home, not working and going about interacting with people in their community?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

I guess another way of looking at it is would you rather the truckers be in their cabs alone 95% of the time, or be at home, not working and going about interacting with people in their community?
We know they can but we also know the disease is far less severe and doesn't last as long which decreases the chances you'll infect someone who is immunocompromised. In addition, nearly all cases of those hospitalized are unvaccinated and these people couldn't give a rats ass one way or the other about overloading the system, they are also less likely to mask up.

So there are a lot of other considerations here, not the least of which is personal responsibility (a long held Republican belief) that they refuse to apply to themselves.

Renzatic

Reaction score

The vaxxed are less likely to catch it, and are thus less likely to spread it. Though if they do catch it, they're just as infectious.

Either way, they're going to be interacting with people. They'll stop at Waffle Houses to eat, hit up truck stops to rest, talk to people at their destinations. They're just as much a vector on the road as they are at home. Maybe moreso, considering they regularly cross state lines.

Top Bottom
1 2