Donald Trump 2024 Presidential Campaign Announcement Nov. 15

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The part where he called Andrew Gillum a “crack head” sounds like some Stephen Miller or other white nationalist Trump lackey. It does sound a bit too detailed and structured for a typical Trump rant. But the end result is a major shot fired from a guy who hasn’t announced yet against a governor who was literally re-elected two days ago, who himself has not announced a run yet.

Trump has jumped so far ahead of this and DeSantis has said nothing. I imagine at some point DeSantis will have to address this in some fashion.

The other thing though in that rant is he more or less outed himself as having interfered in the DeSantis-Gillum election. And if I recall correctly, the commissioner wrote equivalent of "well we're not really sure" letter when asked to certify an audit. Oh well. just another potential crime for someone to look into. The list is getting long for a guy who's no spring chicken. He's gonna be like some mob boss dies in bed with a list of cold cases a mile high in DA's offices from one end of the country to the other. Infuriating.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The part where he called Andrew Gillum a “crack head” sounds like some Stephen Miller or other white nationalist Trump lackey. It does sound a bit too detailed and structured for a typical Trump rant. But the end result is a major shot fired from a guy who hasn’t announced yet against a governor who was literally re-elected two days ago, who himself has not announced a run yet.

Trump has jumped so far ahead of this and DeSantis has said nothing. I imagine at some point DeSantis will have to address this in some fashion.

As has been pointed out by multiple sources, most of Trump’s choices took a nosedive and the one guy he attacked won bigly, a stunning losing streak. Maybe he should get on the phone with the other totally staple genius Elon Musk currently experiencing similar heights so they can dazzle each other with their insight and intellect. Should be a lot of "my dad did that too!"

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, seems like a tactical error, although such missteps are kinda Trump’s thing. He always lashes out at the source of criticism, which he briefly did here with Murdoch, but going on and on about DeSantis, who’s silent, makes Trump look panicky af.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hourglass.jpg

illustration by @joehoustonstudio Art Therapy

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
It is truly frightening seeing the possibility of Kari Lake being TFG's running mate in 2024.
I am not sure I can get past that anyone who has been a well documented failure at business, a multiple time adulterer, two time impeached president, currently has a lawsuit for illegal business practices, under investigation for serious federal crimes, and outright bigot/racist, could get any support from an established political party.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
Because their professed beliefs are bogus - family values, law and order, strict Constitutionalism. They saw he commanded significant numbers of followers so they tolerated him. Now that the midterms showed that he lost his "magic," the GOP is finally realizing they may be better off without him. But I'm sure they still worry that if he doesn't get the GOP nomination for 2024 he would run as an independent and take away a lot of their votes.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Trump is undeterred. He’s announcing at 9pm Tuesday, the invites have been sent, and Jason Miller, who two days ago said he was urging Trump to hold off until after the GA runoff, was back on TV acting as if that never happened and Trump is ready to campaign.

Trump isn’t so much the big story as are the voters. They’ve really got a big issue because the GOP caucus is going to split again, and the Trump cult members are already pledging loyalty to Trump and taking digs at DeSantis. Stefanik has endorsed Trump before he’s announced, and she’s a member of leadership. Far-right members are defying McCarthy already and they haven’t even won the house yet.

Republicans would do best to put all this behind them now, but they’ve already passed up opportunities galore. Trump is as much a repellant as a driver of support: he has enough power to make an impact but not enough to win. And republicans are afraid of the moderate voters if they stick with Trump, and afraid of their supporters who are MAGA if they turn on him.

And you can’t blame Trump for his tactics; he did the same thing in 2016. Attacked John McCain and the Bush family, attacked every Republican in the primary, attacked their wives, their family, made up conspiracies about them, attacked women for their looks and claimed they were on the rag when he didn’t like their questions…

Why would he depart from what works?

I’m enjoying the show, personally. 😁

bwinter88

Fight, or nose: pick one
Reaction score
DeSantis is the nominee in 2024. Trump doesn't have the capability to blow things up anymore; these midterms have demonstrated that. DeSantis with Florida is the golden goose now and Republicans, Murdoch, et al will be making very sweet overtures to Trump that he can't refuse. Trump in office demonstrated that he despite his bluster he is capable of backing away from the cliff edge and capitulating to advice from others, despite his terrible narcissistic impulses. Does Trump even want to win again, or is he announcing in order to draw concessions and make deals to court his withdrawal?

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
DeSantis is the nominee in 2024. Trump doesn't have the capability to blow things up anymore; these midterms have demonstrated that. DeSantis with Florida is the golden goose now and Republicans, Murdoch, et al will be making very sweet overtures to Trump that he can't refuse. Trump in office demonstrated that he despite his bluster he is capable of backing away from the cliff edge and capitulating to advice from others, despite his terrible narcissistic impulses. Does Trump even want to win again, or is he announcing in order to draw concessions and make deals to court his withdrawal?

DeSantis will first need the guts to challenge Trump. The GOP will have a good chunk of the base still devoted to Donald. Will enough of the establishment fall in line? What other criminal activity did Trump engage in? Did he dig up dirt on potential GOP rivals while in office?

I would love to see DeSantis vs. Trump, Trump would lose his shit.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
DeSantis will first need the guts to challenge Trump. The GOP will have a good chunk of the base still devoted to Donald. Will enough of the establishment fall in line? What other criminal activity did Trump engage in? Did he dig up dirt on potential GOP rivals while in office?

I would love to see DeSantis vs. Trump, Trump would lose his shit.

Meanwhile, Democrats...

inline_image_preview.jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
Trump would be an absolute fool to run again. But that's never stopped him before. 🤷‍♀️

The Rs wold be a fool to let him, not least because he'll split the party for sure this time, but also because both Ivanka and her husband have washed hands of him, and he has sometimes been so outta control that only one of them was able to cobble together something to say to keep him even remotely "appropriate" in a public-facing situation at a given time.

And then there's the baggage of the lingering legal jeopardy. The documents thing is not going away. The Rs should not want to be on the wrong side of trying to defend Trump on any of that stuff. DoJ is not bringing stuff to the dockets because they "might" have something on him.

As far as Ron DeSantis goes: he's basically a little fish in a big pond once he gets out of Florida except in a few other red states where he has name recognition from fly-in events. But there will be other candidates stepping up now that Trump can't leverage fear of losing midterms (hah!) over Republicans who might like to back someone else or run for prez themselves.

Mike Pence, Glenn Youngkin, Chris Christie, Kristie Noem, Mike Pompeo, Nikki Haley, Tom Cotton, Tim Scott, Rick Scott, Greg Abbott... possibliy Elise Stefanik (ego big enough for it), and Josh Hawley likely thinks he can erase from people's minds his behavior on 1/6. I suppose Ted Cruz imagines he could give it another shot too. Maybe even little Marco...​

Anyway yeah the intraparty GOP mud wrestling should prove popcorn-worthy. Hope the Dems don't get so distracted that they forget to do a post-mortem of their own midterms performance, and some examination of prospects for 2024 taking all things into consideration including that Biden's popularity has probably been somewhat artificially reduced by media bashing him. The guy is like a combo of Lyndon Johnson and Bush the father: inarticulate sometimes but savvy about politics, knows where all the bodies are buried, who can be moved and who won't budge... everyone owes him something and knows it... and is jealous of his power. You turn around after two years and realize the guy has a stone list of things somehow accomplished and here we are reading how he can't get nothin' done.

The Ds need to do some work stitching up any serious fissures between progressives and regular Dems. Not sure why they've grown gun-shy of having arguments with each other. We are a big tent party and squabbles are normal, not catastrophic. It's not like there's an election looming ahead now anyway, so they should air the ideas and remember that before feasibility studies and political will measurement comes the season of brainstorming... when all ideas deserve a place at the table and nothing gets shot down just because it sounds impossible or unpalatable or too good to be true.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Democrats...

inline_image_preview.jpg
I use to be that way in 2016, thinking to myself that there is no way people would vote that PoS. No way…

After those long 4 years and the subsequent 2 years where he should have just faded away…. This time around, I am fearful of him even making this announcement.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I use to be that way in 2016, thinking to myself that there is no way people would vote that PoS. No way…

After those long 4 years and the subsequent 2 years where he should have just faded away…. This time around, I am fearful of him even making this announcement.
Definitely justified, we (and Republicans) all laughed him off and look where that got us. This time around I'm hoping (praying) for a different outcome, we're finally starting to see chinks in the armor. This midterm was a wakeup call for their party, I think we're going to see them act.

lizkat

Reaction score
I'm hoping AG Garland makes his announcement first; though if tump plans announcing on the 15th, there isn't much time left for Garland.

Hell he's got as long as Trump is still breathing -- if "some set of circumstances"doesn't derail the DoJ from pursuing the case to a conclusion.

I'd like to think the Supreme Court would not entertain some frivolous motion to dismiss charges brought against Trump becuase he was just "Trump being Trump" and didn't mean anything by "whatever happened" to those documents.

Let's face it, it's going to be labeled as political no matter whether Trump is indicted

before he announces a 2024 run, or​
after he annoiunces and while the House and Senate are still both in Democratic hands, or​
after January when a red House might start trying to impeach everything that moves.​
But so what? Garland still serves at pleasure of this President, Joe Biden. The Dem-led Senate will not try Garland on impeachment articles trumped up (!) by an R-led House, and it's not even clear that enough Republicans would entertain an impeachment of Garland anyway. Not every Republican in the House is nuts enough to ignore irrefutable evidence of improper usage of documents like the ones Trump took and resisted returning. Those were not trivial papers and sounds like their classification status (or, none) was not the only reason they were so sensitive they could not be removed like that.

The midterm elections are over now and they were midterms the Rs did poorly on and midterms during the term of a sitting president who is Joe Biden, not Donald Trump. Trump is citizen Plain... and he was citizen Plain when he took the docs and he was citizen Plain when he tried to get lawyers to lie and say he returned everything (obstruction during investigation of a crime) and he was citizen Plain when he had some valet moving boxes in or out of that storage room after he said again he had returned everything.

You or I or any other plain citizen would be locked up already and here we are waiting to see if Trump can still skate past rule of law because he is Trump? Trump is nobody special before the law. Sure, he's still a former president, and he's also one more cycle away from having any leverage over his own damn party.

i figure Garland is pursuing the case. PIcking a time after the elections is up to him. He might wait until all the states have certified their results and the GA runoff result is certified as well. He's probably not gonna wait until the new House is sworn in, unless it held blue. So I hope he's nearing a wrap.

Top Bottom
1 2