Florida Republicans Pass Bill Banning The Word ‘Gay’ In Schools

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the only thing this will do, is cause more teen isolation and potentially teen suicide in FL. I thought we were well beyond the homophobic times. I feel like they just want it to be circa 1950 again.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
I used to be Republican but I'd be against this. Education should be about education, not indoctrination. As someone who spent most of his life on the other side of the political fence, it's interesting reading the thoughts/statements here. I do not intend to offend but it's interesting how similar it is, just a different type (spent most of my life listening to Republicans talk about Democrats).

Color me a pessimist but, hypocrisy abounds in us as a species - right or left. Imo, any form of forced control has been historically proven to be a bad thing. The moment you try to tell people what to think and how to think, bad things happen. Stuff like this only widens the divide.

I don't get it, banning the use of words doesn't seem like a very right wing thing to do, especially after complaining about all the PC things that can't be talked about anymore.

I remember sex ed in high school. We had a group of people come in and talk to us about how STDs were a bad thing and how having sex with anyone was like a piece of tape that got weaker over time with each use - (encouraging one partner). Then we watched a video of a birth, completely uncensored, which traumatized a lot of people.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Reminds me of the fake outrage a few years back when parents were concerned that kids read Harry Potter in school and damned it an evil book about witchcraft.

Besides that, and I have the same criticism for other countries as well, how can education be decided on a state or province basis?

All children of a country should avail of the same educational topics and approaches.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I used to be Republican but I'd be against this. Education should be about education, not indoctrination. As someone who spent most of his life on the other side of the political fence, it's interesting reading the thoughts/statements here. I do not intend to offend but it's interesting how similar it is, just a different type (spent most of my life listening to Republicans talk about Democrats).

Color me a pessimist but, hypocrisy abounds in us as a species - right or left. Imo, any form of forced control has been historically proven to be a bad thing. The moment you try to tell people what to think and how to think, bad things happen. Stuff like this only widens the divide.

I don't get it, banning the use of words doesn't seem like a very right wing thing to do, especially after complaining about all the PC things that can't be talked about anymore.

I remember sex ed in high school. We had a group of people come in and talk to us about how STDs were a bad thing and how having sex with anyone was like a piece of tape that got weaker over time with each use - (encouraging one partner). Then we watched a video of a birth, completely uncensored, which traumatized a lot of people.
My impression of the right-wing complaints in this vein are that we, as a society, are marginalizing people with publicly expressed opinions that are considered offensive. I don’t agree that publicly expressed opinions should be ignored when it comes to inclusion in society, but they are entitled to that cultural commentary and can complain about it all they want.

Passing laws that clearly impinge on freedom of speech is NOT the correct response to this phenomenon they dislike. Many times have I heard from the right “the answer to bad speech is more speech.” This is the opposite of that belief. And punishing teachers for failing to comply with poorly written, overly-generalized laws? This is atrocious.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The thing is, they just don‘t, won’t stop as long as we keep electing them- destruction of women’s rights, LGBT rights, democratic rights, racial equality under the law, attacking the Constitution, funding the War Machine (for which Democrats also deserve harsh criticism), but right now we must prioritize the dire threats facing the Nation and that would be what is called the GOP.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
School is the perfect place to start the brain washing indoctrination early. Personally I don't believe that pledging allegiances to flags, or singing national anthems in schools is all that healthy, but what do I know.
I went to the Principle’s Office with a friend by refusing to stand and say it, to prove a point about the Pledge of Allegiance in 1970. The thing is we want our citizens to feel allegiance towards our country, but it’s damned tricky when it comes to forced public displays in support of it.

D

Deleted member 215

The problem is that the people who support this kind of bill believe that the reason LGBT people exist is because society isn't doing enough to marginalize it. Teaching about the existence of LGBT people and that one should respect them as fellow human beings is endorsing alternative sexualities, therefore ensuring that they continue to exist, and perhaps even causing a few children to become LGBT. What many of them would like, I'm sure, is for teachers to simply teach that being homosexual is sinful, that being trans is invalid, that sex between a man and a woman is the only acceptable form of sex. They know that can't be done in public schools, so the next best thing is to simply not mention it at all. At least that way you won't accidentally (or purposefully) "indoctrinate" children into becoming LGBT and won't give any kind of tacit approval of homosexuality.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The thing is, they just don‘t, won’t stop as long as we keep electing them- destruction of women’s rights, LGBT rights, democratic rights, racial equality under the law, attacking the Constitution, funding the War Machine (for which Democrats also deserve harsh criticism), but right now we must prioritize the dire threats facing the Nation and that would be what is called the GOP.

Why are these off-the-rails Republicans doing this? Why not just mind their own business. Gee. This is certianly not where I thought the country was going even back in the 90s when dinosaurs like Pat Buchanan were starting to rant in public arenas about "taking back America" and battling "for the soul of America" and all that.

Why is more inclusivity in recognition of the diversity of people's humanity a frightening thing? It's not like being human is some kind of zero sum game. But that's how the Republican Party acts. And it's not how most of America feels about the progress that has been made.

So counterproductive for the Rs to rant and rail -- to try to legislate!-- against the civil rights of other Americans... I mean the Republican base is shrinking because younger people can't even believe the Rs are still signed up for such intolerance, it's like stepping back into the 1950s. Absurd.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Why stop at schools? We should stop everyone from ever saying anything that might make us haz a sad. Not even where we cannot hear it.

I mean Disney FFS. That notorious bastion of the far left.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Why stop at schools? We should stop everyone from ever saying anything that might make us haz a sad. Not even where we cannot hear it.

I mean Disney FFS. That notorious bastion of the far left.
If Disney leaves Florida, there goes the “no income tax” motive for moving there. Florida gets most of their state revenue from tourism taxes, sales taxes, and property taxes. I doubt they could afford to leave though, with how much they’ve invested in Disney World over the years.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I will make a $500 donation to the charity of your choice if anyone can show where the word "gay" is in the bill.

No limits. So an LGBTQ or BLM or any other legit charity you want the donation to go to.

Just have to show where the word "gay" is in the bill.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I will make a $500 donation to the charity of your choice if anyone can show where the word "gay" is in the bill.

No limits. So an LGBTQ or BLM or any other legit charity you want the donation to go to.

D6WpWbMX4AA-8V3.jpg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

It’s just a nickname for the bill. You realize that, right?

The bill says: “classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students…”

Who determines what is age-appropriate? The state. How? Nobody knows; they kept it very vague. And why is the discussion of sexual orientation or gender identity only considered appropriate for kids of a certain age? After all, some kids will have same-sex couples as parents, or a transgender family member. How does a teacher handle it when kids start talking about their family in class?

Foofer was right: the far-right legislators who wrote this malarkey are too scared to say the word themselves.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score

The bill says: “classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students…”

Who determines what is age-appropriate? The state. How? Nobody knows; they kept it very vague. And why is the discussion of sexual orientation or gender identity only considered appropriate for kids of a certain age? After all, some kids will have same-sex couples as parents, or a transgender family member. How does a teacher handle it when kids start talking about their family in class?

Foofer was right: the far-right legislators who wrote this malarkey are too scared to say the word themselves.
Dude.

It's Herdfan.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

The title of this thread is:

Florida Republicans Pass Bill Banning The Word ‘Gay’ In Schools​

which is misleading as the bill does not say that. If I were to post a thread with a title that misleading, this place would explode and probably tank the server.

Top Bottom
1 2