Garland appointing special counsel

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
It is not a misrepresentation. She went against 232 years of tradition of the minority party being allowed to select the members to represent that party.

Did she or didn't she? Yes or no!

What happened after that is was not my point.

The other party was clearly acting in bad faith. I'm pretty sure this was the outcome Republicans wanted, because it allowed them their grandstanding.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
In a case like this I don’t see how Congress can really have an impartial investigation. That’s why I think an apolitical agency is better suited for the task composed of people who don’t have a personal stake in the matter. That’s where the DOJ and special prosecutor come in.
But Biden appointed Garland and he in turn appointed Smith so anyone wanting to dismiss the process as being politically motivated will do so. I think if anything Garland has been too careful not to appear political to the point of inaction. It's clear that Trump intended to take top secret documents, which is illegal, and he intended to not fully comply with a subpoena to produce them, which is obstruction. And that's after Garland negotiated with him for months.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
But Biden appointed Garland and he in turn appointed Smith so anyone wanting to dismiss the process as being politically motivated will do so. I think if anything Garland has been too careful not to appear political to the point of inaction. It's clear that Trump intended to take top secret documents, which is illegal, and he intended to not fully comply with a subpoena to produce them, which is obstruction. And that's after Garland negotiated with him for months.
Yeah, but his supporters do not care.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Merrick Garland has already shown that he will be impartial when it comes to special counsels. John Durham’s investigation into supposed mischief surrounding the Mueller report has been fruitless and frankly embarrassing. But Garland hasn’t intervened. It’s too bad we didn’t get to see him on the Supreme Court. He seems like the type of moderate voice it could use right now.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Okay then. Brace yourself for a dose or reality nonetheless, Fox News and Republicans can't save him from this one.

I'll never get the blind support for Trump. Had Biden or Obama done something that insane I would be the first one in line calling for their prosecution. This statement goes for both sides, it's okay to not toe the party line when someone does something so blatantly illegal.

It's not blind support for Trump.

I just don't think those yahoos running through the Capitol had any chance of overthrowing the government. None.

bwinter88

Fight, or nose: pick one
Reaction score

I just don't think those yahoos running through the Capitol had any chance of overthrowing the government. None.
I don't see what one has to do with the other. The punishment is the same regardless. Otherwise they turn around and try again.

It wasn't just random supporters who wandered in. There were people who entered with the express purpose of holding up the certification and kidnapping Nancy Pelosi.

Trump has said repeatedly he will "very very seriously consider" pardoning all involved if reelected, by the way. Doesn't that give you pause?

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I don't see what one has to do with the other. The punishment is the same regardless. Otherwise they turn around and try again.

It wasn't just random supporters who wandered in. There were people who entered with the express purpose of holding up the certification and kidnapping Nancy Pelosi.

Trump has said repeatedly he will "very very seriously consider" pardoning all involved if reelected, by the way. Doesn't that give you pause?

Some did. Many just wandered in because the doors were held open by the Capitol police. Many took selfies with said police.

Some should be punished (think the guy in the headdress), but others simply walked in because the doors were open. A fine should suffice for them. None should be pardoned.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Some did. Many just wandered in because the doors were held open by the Capitol police. Many took selfies with said police.

Maybe they were sympathetic to the cause. Maybe they thought they weren't paid enough to put their lives on the line to stop it. Maybe they were just dumb.

The fact that some of the Capitol police removed barricades, and opened doors for some of the rioters doesn't prove a conspiracy in and of itself. There are a thousand and one other, more likely explanations as to why some of them did so that doesn't suggest a preemptive plan being put into action on their part.

bwinter88

Fight, or nose: pick one
Reaction score

Some should be punished (think the guy in the headdress), but others simply walked in because the doors were open. A fine should suffice for them. None should be pardoned.
Some walked in because the doors were open—also, some people nearly killed Capitol police by crushing them with said doors.

Some people took selfies with Capitol police—also, some people violently beat said police with flagpoles and fire extinguishers.

Nobody cares about the moms and dads who wandered in. Fine them, release them, it doesn't matter. They're not what January 6th was about. There were violent angry crowds, organizations who wanted to do harm, an attempt to subvert democratic results, Republican leaders goading them on, and people died. I don't understand the gymnastics to minimize what happened on the day by pointing out some people "wandered in." People built a gallows for Pence. It was symbolic, but touristy wandering moms and dads didn't bring that lumber to DC.

People inside Trump's orbit have already been found to have anticipated January 6th as a day of reckoning. This wasn't a surprise for Trump et al. They knew what they were fomenting.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

1669056871517.png

This is a picture of what was happening. There is no fucking way anybody on God’s green earth saw this shit and did an oopsie and “just wandered in.”

I cannot believe people are defending this. If you’re in a crowd and it becomes a violent mob, YOU LEAVE. Instead, these sacks of human excrement followed this carnage into the Capitol. They should get jail time. Anybody who defends them (other than lawyers who are required to by law) is a traitor to America, just like they are.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

It's nice having hindsight to draw from. We were lucky that wasn't the case. No one can say with 100% certainty that would not have been possible. And that is not acceptable.

That so many on the right characterized Jan6th as mere "legitimate political discourse" is chilling. It can happen again stay vigilant.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
It's nice having hindsight to draw from. We were lucky that wasn't the case. No one can say with 100% certainty that would not have been possible. And that is not acceptable.

That so many on the right characterized Jan6th as mere "legitimate political discourse" is chilling. It can happen again stay vigilant.
It’s also very convenient to look at “those yahoos running through the Capitol” in isolation, completely disregarding the role they were intended to play in the extensive plot to steal the Presidency.

What would have happened if the secret service had managed to remove the “traitor” VP from the Capitol and kept him from returning and resuming his role?

What would have happened if “those yahoos” had made it to Pelosi or any of her colleagues?

Things could have gotten way more complicated.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

I agree with the other poster: It’s not blind support for Trump. It’s support for white supremacy. Already, the bigots and racists are moving on from Trump since he’s not giving them the wins they want. Their new Messiah is Ron DeSantis, who constantly attacks immigrants, black people (or as he calls them, WOKE), and the LGBTQ community. The most bigoted candidate is the one they’ll pick. It’s been proven that there is no longer a penalty for “saying the quiet part out loud” anymore. So open bigotry is going to win the GOP nomination again.

One thing we don’t need a Jan 6 commission to tell us is that the white people who attacked little black kids for the crime of going to school in the 1950s are still out there, and still feel the same way. They’ve now trained their kids and grandkids to be the same way. They see themselves as entitled to break into the Capitol, because America belongs to them, not to all citizens. Only them.

Yep, the local GOP chairman called the cops on a 9-year-old black girl for chasing lantern flies. Nothing has changed.

Same shit, different century.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It’s also very convenient to look at “those yahoos running through the Capitol” in isolation, completely disregarding the role they were intended to play in the extensive plot to steal the Presidency.

What would have happened if the secret service had managed to remove the “traitor” VP from the Capitol and kept him from returning and resuming his role?

What would have happened if “those yahoos” had made it to Pelosi or any of her colleagues?

Things could have gotten way more complicated.
Agreed. We don’t let people go home scot-free if they attempt a robbery and get caught before they can steal the money. We don’t let people off with a slap on the wrist if they try to murder somebody and the victim survives.

These violent insurrectionists were yards away from members of Congress, but a Capitol police officer distracted them and got them running the other way. If they happened to look the other way and recognize the lawmakers, do you think a violent mob would just let them go?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Agreed. We don’t let people go home scot-free if they attempt a robbery and get caught before they can steal the money.

No, in CA we simply do nothing when people rob stores.

We don’t let people off with a slap on the wrist if they try to murder somebody and the victim survives.

And in NY, we let people who violent assault other people go free without bond. So they do it again and are again released without bond.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
No, in CA we simply do nothing when people rob stores.

And in NY, we let people who violent assault other people go free without bond. So they do it again and are again released without bond.
False equivalencies, and overly generalized statements. Is this really the best that can be offered to the conversation? Cheap comebacks, a meager attempt to change the subject, and nothing of substance? Why even take part in the discussion?

PS - You don’t live in CA or NY, so you aren’t even using the word “we” correctly.

Last edited:

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Once again you are talking out of your ass. In NYS (not just NYC as you conservafucks like to insinuate) Cashless bail applies to nonviolent offenses. Rearrest rates are similar to pre-bail reform days. Look at your own state before lying about bail/bond and arrests. Y'all can't get your shit together so put down the stones while living in a glass house.

Top Bottom
1 2