Ron DeSantis: What in the ever loving fuck is wrong with him?

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Handsome Dotard is really making a name for himself. Nothing says “pro-life” and promoting the sanctity of life quite like using men, women and children as pawns in a political game.

If you’re in the womb, you must be defended at all costs, but if you’re brought across a government border, you’re fair game to be a pawn so I can get a cheap headline.

I really hope this further encourages democrat voter turnout. And if people face legal repercussions over these stupid stunts meant to appeal to the low-IQ xenophobes, even better.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Handsome Dotard is really making a name for himself. Nothing says “pro-life” and promoting the sanctity of life quite like using men, women and children as pawns in a political game.

If you’re in the womb, you must be defended at all costs, but if you’re brought across a government border, you’re fair game to be a pawn so I can get a cheap headline.

I really hope this further encourages democrat voter turnout. And if people face legal repercussions over these stupid stunts meant to appeal to the low-IQ xenophobes, even better.

And there's Texas... Saw this story on the local SF news tonight. The VP of the company, Marin Airporter, is pissed the busses his company sold to another company in Texas two months ago has not repainted them which should have been done after they were sold. And is now considering legal action.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
And there's Texas... Saw this story on the local SF news tonight. The VP of the company, Marin Airporter, is pissed the busses his company sold to another company in Texas two months ago has not repainted them which should have been done after they were sold. And is now considering legal action.

Just saw this earlier too…

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
These “conservative” politicians are in league with one another to end the United States of America. Somewhere starting in the 1980s, “conservative” became synonymous with lying, anti-democracy bags of shit.

Texas political leadership has been in the dumpster forever. Passing a law that based on the complaint of being cut off in social media for having a conservative political view telling lies is grounds for the Texas Attorney General to sue. :mad:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Even if it’s just to get themselves out of hot water.

DeSantis has really stepped in it, not to mention getting R leaders from other states in trouble too.

He has even managed to piss off evangelicals, who definitely vote, and members of some other religious groups who have social justice concerns and are often swing voters on public policy.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/09...ers-condemn-flight-migrants-marthas-vineyard/

The piece is likely paywalled... I'll put a few excerpts

Faith leaders across the country condemned Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’s surprise relocation of nearly 50 Venezuelan migrants — emphasizing that the humane treatment of immigrants is more than a political issue.

At a virtual press conference Monday morning, Catholic, Evangelical Christian, and Jewish community leaders called DeSantis’s move a political stunt that betrays the values of most religions, including his own.

Gabriel Salguero, founder of the National Latino Evangelical Coalition and a Florida pastor, said his governor’s decision to load the migrants onto two planes to Martha’s Vineyard was “incompatible with the gospel of Jesus Christ.”

Jim Wallis, chair in Faith and Justice at Georgetown University’s McCourt School of Public Policy, echoed Salguero’s words and called out “fake faith” appeals among the governors of Florida, Texas, and Arizona, who have all bused or flown migrants to liberal cities — and vacation islands.

“Governors [Greg] Abbott and DeSantis and [Doug] Ducey say they’re faithful Catholics. I looked it up,” Wallis said. “There’s nothing faithful — and certainly nothing Catholic — about using people, vulnerable people, as just political props.”

He called last week’s move a sin and said repentance means improving the immigration system, not just apologizing.

Barbara Weinstein, director of the Commission on Social Action of Reform Judaism, noted that Rosh Hashanah, the start of the Jewish new year and a time of introspection and repentance for Jews, begins next week. She said the holiday emphasizes collective responsibility.

“Let me be clear, the failings of our immigration system are collective failings. They don’t belong to any one individual or any one state,” Weinstein said. “That said, individual actions are making a bad situation infinitely worse.”

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
DeSantis really is trying to be a mini-Trump. He sees Trump being investigated, he has to get himself a case too.

And these BS stunts are cheered by the religious right. If that ain’t the biggest argument against organized religion, I don’t know what is.

Also… this Sheriff aint screwing around, and I don’t know how this will play out legally, his reasoning is sound.

lizkat

Reaction score
See the real problem with DeSantis is he ran into a copy of The New Yorker from just after the 2012 elections and he completely misunderstood the jab at Romney (and its reminder of a campaign-era gaffe from that season). Meanwhile Romney had taken some wisdom away from all that and was already trying to get the Rs to extend outreach to women and HIspanics in order to broaden the GOP's potential base. DeSantis seems set on finishing the teardown of that effort, which Trump had already undermined.

GOP-NewBinders-NewYorker19Nov2012.jpg

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I've been noticing in polls in my state and another one I saw on the news today - crime is not as big a concern as the right tried to make it out to be. Sure, I think crime concerns us all, but myself, I see a tie to rising crime and political instability. Immigration also isn't the hot-button issue many conservatives think it is. The people always bitching about the border are probably a fraction of Americans.

Republicans have done a good job of conflating anyone who shows up at the border as an automatic illegal immigrant; that is not true. Watching them shipped around like pawns by the so-called "pro life" party is pretty sickening. Sadly, DeSantis will probably win re-election, but I hope he has to face the music for these stunts.

Not to mention, I just heard Trump brag at his rally last week that he built the wall. I thought walls worked? And if so, then what's the problem?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been noticing in polls in my state and another one I saw on the news today - crime is not as big a concern as the right tried to make it out to be. Sure, I think crime concerns us all, but myself, I see a tie to rising crime and political instability. Immigration also isn't the hot-button issue many conservatives think it is. The people always bitching about the border are probably a fraction of Americans.

Republicans have done a good job of conflating anyone who shows up at the border as an automatic illegal immigrant; that is not true. Watching them shipped around like pawns by the so-called "pro life" party is pretty sickening. Sadly, DeSantis will probably win re-election, but I hope he has to face the music for these stunts.

Not to mention, I just heard Trump brag at his rally last week that he built the wall. I thought walls worked? And if so, then what's the problem?
Koolaid for the Dummies is Mr POS’s speciality. He can mix it up as a no brainer, for his No Brainers. :unsure:

lizkat

Reaction score
Immigration also isn't the hot-button issue many conservatives think it is. The people always bitching about the border are probably a fraction of Americans.

The people not bitching about immigration, or at least not on social media, are the ones who rely on immigrant labor to do jobs that historically and currently are not work that citizens of the USA either know how to do well without training, or will persist at if they have other choices.

That would include jobs like poultry catching and processing, dairy farming and other agricultural work like manually planting, weeding / pruning or harvesting certain crops. The hospitality sector is another one that doesn't mind having a pool of cheap undocumented labor on tap in the USA.

Some of the owners of those operations do also lobby for legislative immigration reforms -- different visa programs, bumped quotas for certain visa categories etc. But some want immigration to go on as it is because undocumented labor has appeal to them past just cheap wages: it's easy just to fire an undocumented worker who becomes problematic, i.e. complains about pay, housing or working conditions, or who becomes ill.

So, the Republicans should maybe start worrying about this category of potential voters, since the GOP's stance on immigration and that of farmers and poultry processors are not necessarily aligned.

Maybe these employers have gone along with a Trump-centric party so far, because of other legislative priorities including conservative courts and tax issues.

However, those are largely checked off the wish list now, and so the blowhard "me me me" Mr. Trump himself and some of the extreme mini-Trumps running for Congress on GOP ticket may start to loom larger, and perhaps no longer can pass inspection. After all, it's a midterm election. The question before voters is "who should represent your interests in Congress?""

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The people not bitching about immigration, or at least not on social media, are the ones who rely on immigrant labor to do jobs that historically and currently are not work that citizens of the USA either know how to do well without training, or will persist at if they have other choices.

That would include jobs like poultry catching and processing, dairy farming and other agricultural work like manually planting, weeding / pruning or harvesting certain crops. The hospitality sector is another one that doesn't mind having a pool of cheap undocumented labor on tap in the USA.

Some of the owners of those operations do also lobby for legislative immigration reforms -- different visa programs, bumped quotas for certain visa categories etc. But some want immigration to go on as it is because undocumented labor has appeal to them past just cheap wages: it's easy just to fire an undocumented worker who becomes problematic, i.e. complains about pay, housing or working conditions, or who becomes ill.

So, the Republicans should maybe start worrying about this category of potential voters, since the GOP's stance on immigration and that of farmers and poultry processors are not necessarily aligned.

Maybe these employers have gone along with a Trump-centric party so far, because of other legislative priorities including conservative courts and tax issues.

However, those are largely checked off the wish list now, and so the blowhard "me me me" Mr. Trump himself and some of the extreme mini-Trumps running for Congress on GOP ticket may start to loom larger, and perhaps no longer can pass inspection. After all, it's a midterm election. The question before voters is "who should represent your interests in Congress?""

There's been so many dust-ups over the last several years that I can't remember the circumstances, but Lindsey Graham and others were coming out against something Trump wanted to do because it was going to kill the farmers in his state.

In other words, Graham was a hypocrite. I don't see republicans clamoring to do anything against companies that hire and/or retain undocumented immigrants. Wonder why that is?

I've always been intrigued at what the tally would be if there were a headcount of every undocumented worker at a Trump property.

lizkat

Reaction score
There's been so many dust-ups over the last several years that I can't remember the circumstances, but Lindsey Graham and others were coming out against something Trump wanted to do because it was going to kill the farmers in his state.

In other words, Graham was a hypocrite. I don't see republicans clamoring to do anything against companies that hire and/or retain undocumented immigrants. Wonder why that is?

I've always been intrigued at what the tally would be if there were a headcount of every undocumented worker at a Trump property.

Even George Bush the son was unable to push through a carefully crafted immigration reform agenda, and it was definitely because undocumented labor is cheaper than an expanded work visa program and benefits (and payroll audits) for documented workers. The excuses given were all BS.

And the GOP's resistance only got worse during the Obama era: they even suggested once that the reason not to bring immigration reform to the table was because Obama had freed five Taliban prisoners in order to secure release of an American soldier, Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. Boehner said Obama having done that without running it all by Congress first had made it hard for Republicans "to trust" the president on larger issues. The previous reasons for GOP balking on immigration were equally sort of free-association knee-jerk refusals to cooperate. Here is a quote from a Think Progress archived article in 2014 (it reads like an Onion piece but it's not):

The GOP, however, has previously claimed that lawmakers can’t bring immigration reform to a vote in the House because HealthCare dot gov was broken, the Mexican drug war was ongoing, sequestration forced Homeland Security to release some detainees, the Boston Marathon bomber was an immigrant and Obama’s refusal to negotiate during the shutdown hurt Republicans’ feelings.

So go figure. Kevin McCarthy has said a few times that immigration reform is necessary and will happen. Right. And someday the sun will eat up Planet Earth. My money's on the latter happening first if immigration reform is left to a Republican administration.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I also when republicans refused to work on anything regarding race or opportunity, often using immigration as proof we didn't need to change everything. "People are dying to get here, yet you claim its a racist hellhole!"

You don't hear them using that line very much anymore, because it doesn't fit with their recent trend of vilifying anyone who comes from the southern border, legal or not.

lizkat

Reaction score
I also when republicans refused to work on anything regarding race or opportunity, often using immigration as proof we didn't need to change everything. "People are dying to get here, yet you claim its a racist hellhole!"

You don't hear them using that line very much anymore, because it doesn't fit with their recent trend of vilifying anyone who comes from the southern border, legal or not.
The really stupid thing about DeSantis / Abbott immigration relocation stunts now is that Florida will need every last able bodied construction worker from North and Central America to put its west coast version of HumptyDumpty back together... regardless of immigration status. They were already short of roofers and dry wall hangers from what I had read, because of developers still trying to finish up ready-made communities intended for bulk sale to investors meaning to rent rather than sell them during this time of higher mortgage rates and less ability to put down payments.

Top Bottom
1 2