Ron DeSantis: What in the ever loving fuck is wrong with him?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What’s with that creepy ad running for DeSantis? Looks like a 90’s comedy spoof of televangelists. I can’t believe religious folks aren’t the most offended. What a joke.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
of course they wont investigate the misinformation he and his idiots put out.

“Today, I’m announcing a petition with the Supreme Court of Florida to impanel a statewide grand jury to investigate any and all wrongdoing in Florida with respect to COVID-19 vaccines,” he said.
The move puts DeSantis squarely on the side of the anti-vaccination activists in the Republican voting base and, more generally, a broader GOP effort to demonize retiring White House medical adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci and other mainstream medical experts ahead of an expected presidential run in 2024.
“Our CDC, at this point, anything they put out, you just assume, at this point, that it’s not worth the paper it’s printed on,” DeSantis said Tuesday, referring to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
He is Trump's policies without Trump. So probably quite a bit.
Yep, like him or not he's popular, just like Newsom is for the left. IMO this would be a great presidential race, if Republicans want a shot they'll need to get rid of Trump but at this point I'm guessing he won't survive the primary once Desantis decides to jump in.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yep, like him or not he's popular, just like Newsom is for the left. IMO this would be a great presidential race, if Republicans want a shot they'll need to get rid of Trump but at this point I'm guessing he won't survive the primary once Desantis decides to jump in.

People should never forget, and must be reminded often, how chummy they were in the past. Especially after trump is indicted and DeSantis is running

Buds.jpeg

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
He is Trump's policies without Trump. So probably quite a bit.

without Trump, the Republicans would certainly find somebody

BBC report

Trump's conservative base deserting him for DeSantis - poll​

Most Republican-leaning voters would prefer Florida's governor over Donald Trump as their 2024 presidential nominee, according to a survey.
By a 56%-33% margin, conservative voters picked Governor Ron DeSantis over the former president, who formally launched his new campaign last month.
The Suffolk University/USA Today poll also found President Joe Biden had higher approval numbers than Mr Trump....

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
of course they wont investigate the misinformation he and his idiots put out.

“Today, I’m announcing a petition with the Supreme Court of Florida to impanel a statewide grand jury to investigate any and all wrongdoing in Florida with respect to COVID-19 vaccines,” he said.
The move puts DeSantis squarely on the side of the anti-vaccination activists in the Republican voting base and, more generally, a broader GOP effort to demonize retiring White House medical adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci and other mainstream medical experts ahead of an expected presidential run in 2024.
“Our CDC, at this point, anything they put out, you just assume, at this point, that it’s not worth the paper it’s printed on,” DeSantis said Tuesday, referring to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
It’s called being a craven opportunist… If I was to describe DeSantis, it would be as the smarter Trump…but just as heinous living in the same neighborhood.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
How much traction would DeSantis actually get in any other area but Florida?

Compared to a Democrat or in the R primaries?

I'll be interested to see how much strength will accrue to R candidates who in the past could fairly have been called pro-Trumpers. And which Rs will now choose to forget about how they've all but drummed Cheney out of their party and start talking about "getting back to true conservative values" etc in order to try to retain right-leaning indies who are policy Rs and not Trump fans.

Is there still room in the party for any conservative Rs who ran in 2016 primaries to run in 2024? Their updated equivalent has seemed pretty invisible, or else a "silent minority" anyway since the 2016 election of Trump. Maybe still too soon for any traditional conservatives to step out of his shadow now while Trump's fate is uncertain and DeSantis seems to preoccupy the media.

But bottom line, Liz Cheney's brand of Republican conservatism is not unique to her. It used to be pretty much on brand for the GOP. Since they essentially disowned her, it could be hard for the party to turn on a dime and start looking anew at non-Trumpy candidates. On the other hand, the GOP have shown themselves entirely capable of making abrupt turns and just ignoring any cognitive dissonance between former and current views.

My question sorts down to how fiscal conservatives would view DeSantis v a more traditional Republican in 2024 primaries. DeSantis is way smarter than Trump, and so in primary debates would probably choose to soft pedal culture war issues in favor of trying to make points about spending and the economy, if the moderators' questions make that possible. A kind of "watch the birdie" maneuver with an eye to the general election... because as Floridians know, the guy really is hard core for the right wing in culture wars

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
Smarter and without trump's buffoonery. And very electable. :(

Certainly electable in the basic red states, but not in the blue states.....so it would be up to the purples swing states, as usual.

I'm not convinced that the hard core Trump far right positions......anti abortion, anti trans, anti vac, white nationalist stuff.....I'm not so sure that purple states will be so easy for "Trumpism without Trump" to win.

At least the mid-terms didn't play out that way

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Certainly electable in the basic red states, but not in the blue states.....so it would be up to the purples swing states, as usual.

I'm not convinced that the hard core Trump far right positions......anti abortion, anti trans, anti vac, white nationalist stuff.....I'm not so sure that purple states will be so easy for "Trumpism without Trump" to win.

At least the mid-terms didn't play out that way

Was that because of Trumpism or Trump? He and his brand have become toxic, but the underlying reasons for his appeal are still out there.

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
Was that because of Trumpism or Trump? He and his brand have become toxic, but the underlying reasons for his appeal are still out there.

indeed, Trump and Trumpism didn't really present much at all in the nature of solutions to any problems. If recycled Trumpism is all DeSantis has to offer, then I question if he can win in the swing states.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me what the appeal is? From what I gather it is, "We don't like you if you are different."

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Can you tell me what the appeal is? From what I gather it is, "We don't like you if you are different."

I know that is the narrative the left likes to throw out there, but that isn't it.

He just had a certain appeal to those who believe the elites that run the Government don't care about them. And that is elites in both parties, which somewhat explain the Republican never-Trumpers. He was the one who was willing to upset the apple cart to see what fell out and that scared some people for a couple of reasons. One, it could loosen their grip on power and second, reveal things they wanted to keep hidden.

Another part of his appeal was he was willing for fight back. Sometimes this was good, other times it made him look thin-skinned. And other times he picked fights he didn't need to pick. Fighting back was good, starting fights was bad. The GOP hasn't had anyone really willing to fight since Reagan.

And yes, he wanted to secure the border. And yes that meant keeping "brown" people out. But even Newsom is getting concerned that we are not doing our job securing our border. Sorry, but not everyone gets to live in the USA. But just because we don't want anyone who wants to cross the border to be allowed to do so doesn't mean we hate "brown" people.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

The underlying reasons for Trump's appeal? In 2016 I figure that was: "Not Hillary," and (faux) "populist."

Past that, his authoritative manner, open misogyny and assorted variants of common bigotry might appeal to some.

By 2022 midterms, those were really starting to wear thin in terms of voters assessing how those attributes were playing out in the candidates Trump endorsed for public office. It was like hitting a Trump-shaped pinata and having all these little pissant mini-Trumps come popping out to land everywhere from Congress to county clerk's offices... voters started saying uh, no to that when the expectation was naturally enough that they'd say no to inflation and blame that on Biden so vote Ds out of office.​

What else was there about Trump that "appealed" to voters? Tax cuts? Supreme Court picks? Those were borrowed from the R electorate's usual wishlists. But they weren't about him. All those 17 Republicans in the 2016 primaries were going to pitch those. Whatever else Trump himself was about, by 2016 it was all calculated to draw votes.

He has no ideology past autocracy, making a buck for himself and being the center of attention.

The danger in Trump was all his infernal hangers-on and wannabe policy implementers. They hit their slots in his agencies and did whatever they figured they could get away with, while he pirouetted on Twitter and put on a circus of half-baked attempts to end-run our Constitution. Somehow he enthralled the Republican leadership in the meantime, because without that even his first impeachment would have seen him stood down in the Senate. One of these days we'll find out if he "had something" on a lot of those pols...

The danger in the mini-Trumps is some of them are smarter, more ideologically motivated and far more politically savvy than Mr. King(maker). DeSantis is one of them.

Top Bottom
1 2