Guns are still America’s religion

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

The problem is the anti-gun crowd doesn't want even gun safety taught.
Flat-out wrong. Funny how states with gun control laws include a gun safety course as a requirement, and those are the laws opposed by the NRA. For example, Washington DC requires a gun safety course in order to register for a firearm license. The NRA opposes the requirement. So, it’s actually the NRA that is officially in opposition to a gun safety course requirement.

In this case, the evil anti-gun people asked for MORE gun safety training, and the GOP legislature wanted less safety training.

Nobody can deny the danger of having hundreds of millions of guns, so the gun-worshippers resort to lies about the people trying to fix the problem.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Flat-out wrong. Funny how states with gun control laws include a gun safety course as a requirement, and those are the laws opposed by the NRA. For example, Washington DC requires a gun safety course in order to register for a firearm license. The NRA opposes the requirement. So, it’s actually the NRA that is officially in opposition to a gun safety course requirement.

In this case, the evil anti-gun people asked for MORE gun safety training, and the GOP legislature wanted less safety training.

Nobody can deny the danger of having hundreds of millions of guns, so the gun-worshippers resort to lies about the people trying to fix the problem.

Which state are you located in?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Good Og, man, 13? Of course a thirteen year old knows how a gun works. I knew how guns work at 10, and I am not all that bright.

NYS just opened big game hunting for the first time to 12- and 13-yo, with proper licensing and "constant supervision" by licensed mentors. It was an opt-in deal by county, with certain counties excluded due to being metro areas. No other counties opted out. To me this is at least better than what was happening before, which was 12- and 13-yos sometimes hunting at least deer without either license or supervision. I'm not saying they were not trained how to shoot. Just saying that now there's less wiggle room on consequences for the responsible adults if something goes wrong.

Of course they also just passed a law saying all hunters have to wear either blaze orange or pink, and of course it didn't take long for the first hunting fatality despite that law, because some hunter perceived movement by another hunter dressed in camouflage as "a deer". It happened up near where one of my bros lives, in a county near some of the Finger Lakes. Some 61-yo guy in a tree stand took a shot at his 28-yo companion (tracking a deer the latter had shot but not killed), apparently mistaking him for a deer. The younger guy was wearing camo and no blaze orange or pink. The older guy called 911 but first responders pronounced the younger hunter DOA at the scene.

Tragic, and the very reason the law was passed, to generate more publicity for a longstanding recommendation about clothing colors that humans register as "oh wow, there's another hunter" but that don't actually look any different than camouflage attire to the eye of a deer. Somebody either didn't get the memo or figured it didn't apply to them personally.

Of course there will be arguments about which of the two men was more careless, and there are hunters who don't believe the thing about deer not being able to see an orange or pink splotched jacket as different to a camouflage pattern. But then so much for "law abiding" hunters.

U

User.45

it’s almost like when vaccine mandates were blamed for COVID deaths.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I want to say I learned in Boy Scouts.

The problem is the anti-gun crowd doesn't want even gun safety taught. I made sure to teach my daughter if she was ever over at someone's house and a gun came out, leave immediately and find an adult. She also knew never to touch one unless an adult was with her and shooting was the reason the gun was out.

She got her first slide bite at 9. :)

On the gun safety, uh no. The rest I don't have a problem with since it does amount to part of what "gun safety instruction" is all about.... except to note that the gun lobby doesn't even want ER doctors discussing safe gun storage with families where a child has been wounded by gunshot in a home, and that I find absurd and hope more courts up the line find it absurd as well.

The lobby's argument is that somehow a discussion like that amounts to illegal construction of a gun registry since it might cause a parent or guardian to cop to owning a gun, or keeping a gun in the house and in theory as long as a background check was done at purchase, and the purchaser is who was in possession of the gun at the time of the incident, ownership is no one else's business. This doesn't get around laws related to safe storage but the gun lobby is not working the "Do Not Discuss" angle in states with laws like that. They run it in states like Florida or states that have not much gun control law at state level, and maybe only a "shall issue permit" law upon passage of background check.

The emergency room physicians have tried to argue that their First Amendment rights are constrained. The gun lobby notes that First Amendment rights may not apply in an employer situation. The physicians then argue that hospitals accepting US taxpayer funds means they do have a right to discuss whatever may make for a safer home for children. Etc etc etc lawsuits stacked up to the ceiling throughout the courts system.

Meanwhile the carnage goes on and the fact is that loaded guns and children even briefly unattended are a very risky mix. Somehow the gun lobby has so far managed to keep Congress deciding for all of us that it's a risk that's in the range of acceptable in order to retain "the right to bear arms" in all its precious ambiguity regarding placement of a comma in the Second Amendment.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Flat-out wrong. Funny how states with gun control laws include a gun safety course as a requirement, and those are the laws opposed by the NRA. For example, Washington DC requires a gun safety course in order to register for a firearm license. The NRA opposes the requirement.
The ammosexuals see any kind of a hint of a whisper for restraint on gun ownership as "you wanna ban guns!" and start their shrill chants of μολον λαβέ! Μολον λαβέ! ΜΟΛΟΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!1!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Still awaiting the corroboration here. FYI, I know you're trying to avoid responding to my questions.;)
Here’s another account of the incident:

Kids were making a video for social media. The 13-year old was arrested, but NOT the gun owner.

The police believe it was an accidental shooting by the teenager (forgive me for linking to facebook, but the police department chose that platform for distributing official information…)

U

User.45

Here’s another account of the incident:

Kids were making a video for social media. The 13-year old was arrested, but NOT the gun owner.

The police believe it was an accidental shooting by the teenager (forgive me for linking to facebook, but the police department chose that platform for distributing official information…)

Yeah, that's what I got too.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Well, we were talking about IN SCHOOLS. Got to follow the whole context thing and not cherry pick parts of posts just so you can shout "You're wrong".

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Well, we were talking about IN SCHOOLS. Got to follow the whole context thing and not cherry pick parts of posts just so you can shout "You're wrong".

The article I linked is specifically about requiring more safety training in schools, even though you didn't specify in schools since you were talking about the Boy Scouts.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The article I linked is specifically about requiring more safety training in schools.

For armed school EMPLOYEES. Not a thing in that article about teaching students gun safety.

And here is one where a principal is against teaching kids:

"I don't think it should be dictated by a legislature that a school district should be teaching that. Our kids that handle guns, handle shotguns, hunt, when they do things like that, their families do a great job with making sure all the safety aspect are taught to them," said Webb.

The problem with his logic is that he assumes that only the kids who hunt or have families who shoot will come across guns. Those aren't the kids I worry about, but instead someone from an gun-free household comes across one and has no idea what to do or not do with it.

The NRA has a program called Eddie Eagle, but The Center for Handgun Violence is against their program simply because it is from the NRA.

This is definitely one of those times I wish MR had left PRSI as Read-Only. There was a whole thread about this very topic.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
And here is one where a principal is against it:

The problem with his logic is that he assumes that only the kids who hunt or have families who shoot will come across guns. Those aren't the kids I worry about, but instead someone from an gun-free household comes across one and has no idea what to do or not do with it.

The NRA has a program called Eddie Eagle, but The Center for Handgun Violence is against their program simply because it is from the NRA.

This is defintely one of those times I wish MR had left PRSI as Read-Only. There was a whole thread about this very topic.
It was a superintendent (not a principal) and he’s not a gun control activist - he is a retired Brigadier General with 34 years of service, a Legion of Merit, and a Bronze Star.

He also felt the legislation wasn’t necessary because he thinks families are doing a great job teaching the kids gun safety… and that the school board should make the choice, not the legislature… that is not the stance of a gun control activist.

You’re trying to force a false narrative, which is why you can’t find any valid examples of gun control groups opposing gun safety training. I know some of them oppose Eddie Eagle because, let’s face it, the NRA has gone so far to the right that people are scared of it. Who in their right mind opposes background checks to prevent criminals or the mentally ill from buying guns? The NRA, that’s who.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It was a superintendent (not a principal) and he’s not a gun control activist - he is a retired Brigadier General with 34 years of service, a Legion of Merit, and a Bronze Star.

He also felt the legislation wasn’t necessary because he thinks families are doing a great job teaching the kids gun safety… and that the school board should make the choice, not the legislature… that is not the stance of a gun control activist.

You’re trying to force a false narrative, which is why you can’t find any valid examples of gun control groups opposing gun safety training. I know some of them oppose Eddie Eagle because, let’s face it, the NRA has gone so far to the right that people are scared of it. Who in their right mind opposes background checks to prevent criminals or the mentally ill from buying guns? The NRA, that’s who.

My mistake on the principal vs superintendent.

But again, the kids who get safety training at home aren't the ones I worry about. It is the ones that don't.

Not pushing any narrative. It was an offhand comment that stemmed from where a few of us learned gun safety.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
My mistake on the principal vs superintendent.

But again, the kids who get safety training at home aren't the ones I worry about. It is the ones that don't.

Not pushing any narrative. It was an offhand comment that stemmed from where a few of us learned gun safety.
I’m just trying to point out that “anti-gun” people are not opposed to gun safety training as you suggested. In fact, it seems to be one thing both “sides” of the debate tend to agree on.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Fucking hell ...

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sure they would still be idiots, but nobody would be in the hospital with a gunshot wound. Kyle Rittenhouse is an idiot, and 2 people are dead because he had a gun.

Guns increase the suicide rate dramatically too.

I support the 2nd amendment too, when read in its entirety. Sadly, modern right-wing interpretation of it forgets about “well regulated” and wants no regulations on guns whatsoever.

I don't so much support it as I accept it, but I also think guns are more often used in situations that are far from their legal intended purpose and that's only going to get worse. At best you are defending yourself with a gun against somebody else with a gun. Imagine how much different the outcome would be if neither party had a gun.

U

User.45

Fucking hell ...

mussabeen self-defence....

Top Bottom
1 2