Moving from Canon 6D MkII to the Sony a7R III

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here

Nycturne

Power User
Reaction score
Yes, Sony has been making the sensors for Nikon for quite a while now -- at least for the DSLRs. I don't know if they are still doing it with the new mirrorless Z series camera bodies or not, which is likely, but, yeah, Sony has had the ability right along to control the way a given sensor manufactured for another camera brand will act and just how good it really is. I wouldn't be surprised if of course Sony saved the best for use only in their sensors for their own camera bodies, which would make sense, wouldn't it?

From what I've seen, the "roadmap" thingy seems to be more pertinent and specific to listing the future appearance of eventual lenses rather than camera bodies, but I really have not been paying that much attention so that could be wrong.

There’s some advantage, sure. But to my knowledge, Sony’s sensor division is currently being run “at arm’s length” from the camera division to avoid problems with other customers, like Nikkon. The sensors Nikkon has been getting, like the one in the D850, were just as good as the ones in the similarly priced Sony cameras. The D850 and the A7R III were pretty comparable in terms of sensor performance.

Question for you Sony A7 users: can the camera save DNGs directly? That would enable some easy manipulation options straight from an iPad for example, without having to use any Adobe stuff like Lightroom etc.

I’ve been shooting Fuji cameras for a decade and like their JPEG output a lot. It helps me to get results without having to post process a ton of raws all the time.

When I was still sing my Nikons and Aperture on the Mac I also enjoyed the NIK effects but I don’t really want to sit in front of a Mac in my free time, the few hours of downtime I rather have my iPad and sit on the couch.

I’ve edited RAW (ARW) via Affinity Photo on my iPad a few times just fine. Surprisingly, even Apple’s Photos app is able to see and import ARW. iOS itself has more capable RAW support than folks might think, as it uses the same RAW engine that macOS does.

OP
Eric

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I have to read up and understand dual card settings on this thing, I currently have it setup to write RAW to slot 1 and JPG to slot 2. However, this morning I was out and about and when I went to take a shot it told me I couldn't record (even though I was in photo mode) with just one card, even if I moved the second card into the first slot. Fortunately, I had a backup card but I want to work this out so if I had to I can still use a single card in case of emergencies.

Clix Pix

Focused
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
I'm not sure how the dual card setup is on the A7R III, but I think it is somewhat different from either the A7R IV or the A1. I think there is something about the card capacities -- can't have the same capacity in both slots? Cards have to be the same type? (UHS I vs UHS II or something?) I never got around to setting up the dual slots in the A7R IV, but when I got the A1 decided it was time to take advantage of having two slots since now I am shooting many more frames than I was in the past thanks to the 20 fps that the A1 allows. I have it set up so that when one card is filled up that the card in the second slot automatically picks up where the first left off, and when there is no card in the second slot I simply get the blinking warning in the EVF that the second slot is empty. Recently I bought a new, larger-capacity card and so I decided to test it on its own in just the one slot, and it worked fine without a card also in the other slot. Eventually, once I ascertained that the new card had no issues and was functioning well, I put a second card back into the second slot and it still all works as expected.

I've never tried doing the RAW in one slot and the JPG in the other slot, but I know a lot of photographers do use this method. The fact that one is using the two different formats (RAW and JPG) for the same images which are being shot might have something to do with this? Not having a card in the second slot may mess up whatever mechanism Sony uses to achieve the process?

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here
Top Bottom