Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Rules? Not on my platform!

Musk considers removing X platform from Europe over EU law - Insider​

The European Union in August adopted the Digital Services Act (DSA), which sets forth rules for preventing the spread of harmful content, banning or limiting certain user-targeting practices, and sharing some internal data with regulators and associated researchers, among other things.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
No offense to anybody on here who still uses X, but I really hope Musk’s next implosion move is to deploy some kind of tech that makes it impossible to screen shot posts. Throughout its entire history and certainly now probably more people are aware of what is being said on there from reposts outside the service than people who actually use the service and everybody knows it. Same thing with Truth Social.

“But it’s still the best place to get information”. It needs to go away and if users knew people would be unable to see their posts outside the service I guarantee they would leave and suddenly that illusive alternative would become a reality. Stop feeding the beast. It’s like keeping a playground open that is a warzone outside the live streamed basketball court. Sure, kids are getting slaughtered in the grass field and picnic areas but the amateur basketball players are great.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Rules? Not on my platform!

Musk considers removing X platform from Europe over EU law - Insider​

The Reuters piece makes it sound like it's Musk's call whether to stay or leave. But if the platform runs afoul of the DSA and nothing is done to make it compliant, can't the regulators enforce the act with a fine or some other penalty?
No offense to anybody on here who still uses X, but I really hope Musk’s next implosion move is to deploy some kind of tech that makes it impossible to screen shot posts. Throughout its entire history and certainly now probably more people are aware of what is being said on there from reposts outside the service than people who actually use the service and everybody knows it. Same thing with Truth Social.

“But it’s still the best place to get information”. It needs to go away and if users knew people would be unable to see their posts outside the service I guarantee they would leave and suddenly that illusive alternative would become a reality. Stop feeding the beast. It’s like keeping a playground open that is a warzone outside the live streamed basketball court. Sure, kids are getting slaughtered in the grass field and picnic areas but the amateur basketball players are great.
I think many companies and non-commercial entities are staying on X because they believe there's still no better way to get their word out, despite the misinformation and other faults. Unfortunately, no alternative platform has gotten enough traction.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
The Reuters piece makes it sound like it's Musk's call whether to stay or leave. But if the platform runs afoul of the DSA and nothing is done to make it compliant, can't the regulators enforce the act with a fine or some other penalty?

I think many companies and non-commercial entities are staying on X because they believe there's still no better way to get their word out, despite the misinformation and other faults. Unfortunately, no alternative platform has gotten enough traction.
It's more like he can remove the ability of EU posters to interact with the website, which is in fact a possible punishment of egregious behavior under the EU rules. Basically, it's a "you can't fire me, I quit!"

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
So, if they ban his platform, can they also give him a travel ban? Would be nice if it was a package that all countries could sign up for. :D

You know...get it so eventually he's only welcome in the Trump-friendly countries....North Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, etc.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Elon Musk comes up with another reason why billionaires shouldn't be allowed to have that much money
Elon Musk is offering $1 billion to Wikipedia, here’s why

The problem is not changing the name but in the name that he wants is dickapedia
Good name for Elon’s autobiography.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Listened to an interview with Musk’s biographer. He said there was a moment when he was contemplating cutting off the Starlink connection to Ukraine to prevent the attack on the Russian fleet when he felt he shouldn’t have so much power. Whether you believe that or not is almost beside the point. This is what happens when you privatize everything. Important resources are completely under the control of somebody or small group of people who have a worldview and ideology where they will make decisions that first and foremost benefits them and their beliefs. Musk is a perfect extreme example of this as he’s thin skinned and seems to make decisions based on spite towards detractors. If he can’t do a direct counterattack he’ll find out something else they are associated with that he has a means to retaliate.

Top Bottom
1 2