Oct 18 Apple Event

D

Deleted member 221

would consider a Mini with an external monitor if it had everything else I need.

This brings up a good point.
I really hope another Apple monitor is coming...ideally well down market from the ProXDR

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 MBP. It has the crappy keyboard. So far it’s only annoyed me a few times. But I may get rid of it depending on what they announce tomorrow. Not sure if I want another MacBook or go back to windows.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Light load tomorrow, so I'll be enjoying a nice sandwich during the keynote. Not likely to get anything for myself with a pretty new-ish MBA. But the hubby would like an updated Mac mini for the office. Of course, the school's IT dept will take forever to approve and configure it. He may just wait a bit to get reimbursed as he's figured out most issues on his own the last few years.

I really want a new iMac but can't really justify the costs. Rumors of a 30" version has me itchy.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I'm not that bothered by the idea of a notch in the new machines if that rumor proves to be true. However, I really would prefer to have four TB ports rather than only three and the Magsafe. Since I currently plug in my MBP to the LG 24" Thunderbolt monitor that then handles powering both of them, unless I do something different with plugging in the monitor that would use up one of the three TB ports and there have been times when I have wanted and needed to plug in three external drives at the same time. I also like the versatility of being able to plug in the power cable on either side of my current machine. Sigh..... I don't know if this LG monitor even HAS an HDMI port or whatever. I know that I'll never bother with the SD card slot; no need for that when I have a perfectly good Sony card reader which works both for my SD cards and my CF Express cards.

Well, guess we'll find out more tomorrow about just what is and isn't included in the new machines.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Ports on BOTH sides should be a no brainer for a 'Pro' level product.

Having the only two ports on ONE side on the Air is annoying. Apple was smart enough to address this with the Magic Keyboard on the iPad, as it allows for a port on each side when connected.

If the notch rumor is true, I'm excited at the idea of the MBP having an 'Infinity Edge' screen.

matram

Reaction score
The notch rumor sounds like something planted to expose a leaker. Why would a 16-inch laptop need it, and not the smaller 13-inch ones? Even iPads with Face ID put it in the bezel. Doesn’t the screen have enough of a bezel to hold the cameras if needed? Who knows though… maybe Apple wanted to shrink the bezels down to nothing.
Leaks indicate that there are an extra 74 pixels vertically from the perfect 16:10 screen ratio and also that there is a "safe_area" available to developers, this is used on the iPhone to handle the notch and rounded corners. Both these things makes the rumor a bit more plausible. Will be interesting to see!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I'm hoping the 16 inch has 4 USB C instead of just 3. Maybe two on each side again or three on the left, one on the right.
4 USB-C/TB 4 ports: two on each side, absolutely! I love this on my 2018 MBP and I don't want to muck around with only three of them in the future just because they may have decided to re-add that stupid MagSafe.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't mind the notch. I've had a notch in my iphone for many years and I don't even notice that there is a notch. All of the people crying about the notch are people that have never used the phone. I have no concerns about a notch on a laptop.

View attachment 9240
Exactly. When I switched from the 8 Plus to the 12 Pro Max, I noticed the notch for like a day and then it kind of just disappeared. Doesn't bother me at all.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope I am not too late to the party :) This place definitely looks cozier than MR and it's nice to see so many familiar names. @Cmaier, how is your exile going?

Wish everyone a fun keynote and may the new MacBooks be what all of us want them to be!

welcome! So glad to see you here! BTW, here you are free to call anyone you want “technically incompetent” and I am free to say “it’s all in your head” without month-long suspensions and threats of permanent bans, I’m told.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
welcome! So glad to see you here! BTW, here you are free to call anyone you want “technically incompetent” and I am free to say “it’s all in your head” without month-long suspensions and threats of permanent bans, I’m told.

Cozier indeed... :D

D

Deleted member 221

C'mon - can we please leave that particular issue behind?
You know darned well I'm here and that's simply poking the bear unnecessarily

I've gone out of my way to try to move on and I'd appreciate some reciprocation on that please.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
C'mon - can we please leave that particular issue behind?
You know darned well I'm here and that's simply poking the bear unnecessarily

I've gone out of my way to try to move on and I'd appreciate some reciprocation on that please.
Seriously, it was not aimed at you at all. It was poking fun at the reason for my suspension, quoting the exact words that the MR moderators pointed at as being out of line. (And those words, even at MR, were not directed at you, unless I am very confused).

D

Deleted member 221

Seriously, it was not aimed at you at all. It was poking fun at the reason for my suspension, quoting the exact words that the MR moderators pointed at as being out of line. (And those words, even at MR, were not directed at you, unless I am very confused).

Fair enough - but can we stop even bringing it up?

I was very active in that thread where you got suspended and you and I were going back and forth and I know that some of your responses to me directly led to your suspension (heard from MR on it).

We very much disagreed about your tone and demeanor in that thread and on that topic and it was a key part of your suspension.
Let's just leave it behind and stop talking about it again here -- please?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Right, I saw this more aimed at their moderation, not a specific event. and to that end you couldn't be more right that people can express themselves here. I don't think this was personal @turbineseaplane

D

Deleted member 221

Right, I saw this more aimed at their moderation, not a specific event. and to that end you couldn't be more right that people can express themselves here. I don't think this was personal @turbineseaplane

What's made it personal - honestly speaking - is that I fully agree with MR moderation on this topic.
I don't agree with the length of suspension, but the behavior leading to it -- I fully do.

And, with major respect, @Cmaier you darned well know that, as we were going right back and forth at each other in that thread that day.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Fair enough - but can we stop even bringing it up?

I was very active in that thread where you got suspended and you and I were going back and forth and I know that some of your responses to me directly led to your suspension (heard from MR on it).

We very much disagreed about your tone and demeanor in that thread and on that topic and it was a key part of your suspension.
Let's just leave it behind and stop talking about it again here -- please?

Listen, I mean no disrespect and really don’t intend to anger you or upset you. But I don’t think it’s fair of you to ask that I not speak about the stated basis of my suspension over there. I didn’t come here to be censored. In my mind it has nothing to do with you, and my disagreement with MR is with MR, and not with you. If my mentioning my suspension is a trigger for you, then I regretfully suggest that you just put me on your ignore list.

I mean, this is literally what they told me:

1634574368385.png

If they had other reasons to suspend me, they didn’t tell *me* about them.

Top Bottom
1 2