Sony A8?

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've never used a rangefinder; I've been wearing glasses on and off since I was in preschool, although my prescription has never been very strong.

Would love a Q2 though (yes, i'm aware it's not a rangefinder.....but then that part wouldn't be an issue).
Yes, A Q2, you would like. An SL, well, you would love an SL.... just saying.... :)

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Maybe Leica just isn't for everyone. Someone on another forum in which I participate decided to move from Sony to Leica.... I think she got the SL2 (?). Anyway, she shared a few shots with it and expressed some discomfort or unhappiness about this-and-that, but kept on shooting anyway, giving herself some time to get used to the new gear. I wasn't terribly surprised when the other day she mentioned returning to Sony. For whatever reason(s) the Leica just wasn't working well for her.

On yet a different forum, there's a guy who loves his Leica -- is it the Q2 which shoots only in B&W? -- that's what he has, and carries it with him much of the time for those unexpected opportunities to get interesting shots. He also still shoots Nikon as well, and just received his Z9 the other day so the group is looking forward to seeing what he does with that camera.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have a couple of Ms. I also have a floater in my focussing eye and now I wear glasses they are getting less fun to use. So if you are going to get one, do it sooner rather than later because there is no zoom on the viewfinder.... lol.... unless you go with one capable of using an EVF but then that aint pure rangefinder.
Even though I need prescription based glassed I often use my naked on in the VF, I know some don't but I do religiously for framing and focus points. To compensate for my (lack of) vision I focus in on something close and easy, then let it lock and then adjust the focus of the eyepiece until it's tack sharp and it's worked out really well for me.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Even though I need prescription based glassed I often use my naked on in the VF, I know some don't but I do religiously for framing and focus points. To compensate for my (lack of) vision I focus in on something close and easy, then let it lock and then adjust the focus of the eyepiece until it's tack sharp and it's worked out really well for me.
I shoot with my naked eye, too, even though I wear glasses (progressive lenses) and actually am developing cataracts in both eyes, too. Thankfully the cataracts are slow-growing and haven't yet had a significant impact on my vision or sense of color yet, but one day they will, and that'll be time for cataract surgery. In shooting, I use autofocus much of the time, but on the occasions I shoot manual focus (mostly when I'm doing macro) I am grateful for the magnification feature and the Focus Peaking feature, although even at that sometimes I still feel a need to gently tweak the focus just a bit. Sony's excellent AF is usually pretty reliable and right on target, which is good for someone who doesn't have great vision.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My first camera was a rangefinder; an old/used Argus C3 sitting on a shelf with other used cams at a camera store. It was the cheapest camera of the bunch - important just being out of high school. It was fun to play with. And I made a lot of snaps. I had no purpose or goal in mind other than it was something to play with and then be surprised getting prints back from the camera store..

Later I got a cheap enlarger (made in Czechoslovakia of all places) to see what making prints was about. Still wasn't inspired or even realized back then that photography was supposed to be a creative process. I was just mesmerized with shiny stuff (I guess that was tech back then) to fiddle with and figure out; like the camera.

Fast forward a couple of decades, and with a real job, I bought an Arca-Swiss 4x5 camera and a couple of lenses. Another venture into shiny things and figuring stuff out. I guess I thought I wanted to be a landscape photographer like Ansel Adams, but really had no particular affinity for that or wanting to get serious about it.

A couple of years latter I was mesmerized looking at photos a friend of mine made on the street in SF and NYC; and that spoke to me and inspired big time. And got into well-known photographers like Diane Arbus, Daido Moriyama, Robert Frank, Garry Winnogrand, Richard Avedon and more. At that point I knew what I really wanted to do and make photographs of. It took a looong time to figure that out. :)

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I started out using rangefinders and managed OK, but the day I first looked through an SLR I was instantly hooked. Aha, THIS really worked for me! Even prior to the arrival of AF it still felt much more intuitive and easier to me. When eventually AF came along, and built-in metering, I was ecstatic. Ah, bliss!!

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe Leica just isn't for everyone. Someone on another forum in which I participate decided to move from Sony to Leica.... I think she got the SL2 (?). Anyway, she shared a few shots with it and expressed some discomfort or unhappiness about this-and-that, but kept on shooting anyway, giving herself some time to get used to the new gear. I wasn't terribly surprised when the other day she mentioned returning to Sony. For whatever reason(s) the Leica just wasn't working well for her.

On yet a different forum, there's a guy who loves his Leica -- is it the Q2 which shoots only in B&W? -- that's what he has, and carries it with him much of the time for those unexpected opportunities to get interesting shots. He also still shoots Nikon as well, and just received his Z9 the other day so the group is looking forward to seeing what he does with that camera.
It is the Monochrom versions that a re B&W. There is the M Monochrom, the Typ 246 Monochrom, Q2 Monochrom and M10 Monochrom - no 'e' key on Leica keyboards apparently. The Q2 is the 28mm fixed prime lens all in one camera. It is very impressive but 28mm is not a focal length I am that happy with. If they did a 35mm or 50mm version I would be all over it. I have a Sony RX1R for the 35mm fixed lens simplicity.

I moved to Leica from Sony. I hate the Sony refresh cycle and obsolescence timeframes for their bodies and other reasons that I covered ad nauseum on the other place.

Maybe your friend didn't like the SL2 because it is a bit of a tank compared to a Sony and the lenses are priced like sports cars.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
no 'e' key on Leica keyboards apparently.

In German, it’s just ”monochrom“ when the word is by itself. An “e” at the end is actually pronounced and not silent, and is used if “monochrom” is describing a feminine or pluralized noun, like “monochrome Bilder” (monochrome pictures).

Could be worse - they could have gone with “einfarbig.”

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
It is the Monochrom versions that a re B&W. There is the M Monochrom, the Typ 246 Monochrom, Q2 Monochrom and M10 Monochrom - no 'e' key on Leica keyboards apparently. The Q2 is the 28mm fixed prime lens all in one camera. It is very impressive but 28mm is not a focal length I am that happy with. If they did a 35mm or 50mm version I would be all over it. I have a Sony RX1R for the 35mm fixed lens simplicity.

I moved to Leica from Sony. I hate the Sony refresh cycle and obsolescence timeframes for their bodies and other reasons that I covered ad nauseum on the other place.

Maybe your friend didn't like the SL2 because it is a bit of a tank compared to a Sony and the lenses are priced like sports cars.
It was something about the handling or the settings that she seemed to have issues with; and, yes, the camera and the lenses are expensive but apparently that's not a problem for her. Most of her shots are of her granddaughter, her daughters, her dog or vases of flowers. I don't think she shoots anything which requires long lenses. It could be that the shape and weight of the SL2 felt cumbersome to her after using her Sony and various GM lenses.....

Wow, I didn't realize that Leica makes so many Monochrom versions! Interesting..... Yes, 28mm is rather an awkward focal length, isn't it? I wouldn't care for that, either. I appreciate my compact Sony RX100 VII because of its flexibility with the modest zoom range of 24mm-200mm. Works well for travel, which is my primary purpose for having it. Never have handled the RX1R but I've heard that it is a fantastic camera.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Yes, A Q2, you would like. An SL, well, you would love an SL.... just saying.... :)

Price obstacles not withstanding, if I bought an SL or SL2, or even an M camera, those don't really give me any advantage over what I already have. Sure, it gives me access to Leica glass, but I'd essentially be trading one brand ILC for another (much more expensive one). I already like the gear I have, and I have no need or desire to replace an entire fleet of bodies and lenses. And frankly I can adapt Leica glass to my existing cameras if I really wanted.

The Q2, on the other hand, does give me something a bit different. Something that is actually purse sized (I'm a girl, so I don't need pocket sized, but even a Z6 and lens is kind of cumbersome for a purse sometimes), in addition to Leica glass. It would be super convenient for day trips, or even my daily three mile walk, especially since it has the macro feature baked into the lens.

Unfortunately, the price obstacle IS withstanding, and at present there is no way to justify another $5,500 toy (although it has a new price now and I haven't looked to see just what that price is). But maybe someday I'll get a magical inheritance from the sky and I can get something then. Until then, I'll just keep dreaming and using my perfectly lovely Nikon gear. 🙂

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was something about the handling or the settings that she seemed to have issues with; and, yes, the camera and the lenses are expensive but apparently that's not a problem for her. Most of her shots are of her granddaughter, her daughters, her dog or vases of flowers. I don't think she shoots anything which requires long lenses. It could be that the shape and weight of the SL2 felt cumbersome to her after using her Sony and various GM lenses.....

Wow, I didn't realize that Leica makes so many Monochrom versions! Interesting..... Yes, 28mm is rather an awkward focal length, isn't it? I wouldn't care for that, either. I appreciate my compact Sony RX100 VII because of its flexibility with the modest zoom range of 24mm-200mm. Works well for travel, which is my primary purpose for having it. Never have handled the RX1R but I've heard that it is a fantastic camera.
The RX1R is great still love my RX100 VII and VA.....

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
Price obstacles not withstanding, if I bought an SL or SL2, or even an M camera, those don't really give me any advantage over what I already have. Sure, it gives me access to Leica glass, but I'd essentially be trading one brand ILC for another (much more expensive one). I already like the gear I have, and I have no need or desire to replace an entire fleet of bodies and lenses. And frankly I can adapt Leica glass to my existing cameras if I really wanted.

The Q2, on the other hand, does give me something a bit different. Something that is actually purse sized (I'm a girl, so I don't need pocket sized, but even a Z6 and lens is kind of cumbersome for a purse sometimes), in addition to Leica glass. It would be super convenient for day trips, or even my daily three mile walk, especially since it has the macro feature baked into the lens.

Unfortunately, the price obstacle IS withstanding, and at present there is no way to justify another $5,500 toy (although it has a new price now and I haven't looked to see just what that price is). But maybe someday I'll get a magical inheritance from the sky and I can get something then. Until then, I'll just keep dreaming and using my perfectly lovely Nikon gear. 🙂
No, you don't NEED a Leica. You make magic with what you have.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
No, you don't NEED a Leica. You make magic with what you have.

Here's a guy I bumped into a couple of times in New York City, around 15 years ago. Once in front of B&H (below) and another time at the Javits Center. His name is Louis Mendes and he's been shooting on NY's streets for the last 60 years. With the same Speed Graphic camera. A most interesting fellow with interesting stories. He's seen and photographed a lot. Very inspiring.

Though very different, in a way he kind of reminds me of Mike Disfarmer, another photographer who enjoyed engaging with local people and making their portraits in his studio. Though he died in 1959, there are fascinating stories about his life, body of work, and their legal ownership.

Attachments

• Louis Mendes.jpg
    Louis Mendes.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom
1 2