Sony A8?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wondering if you can tell me what your thoughts are on the RX1R? What you like about it, and more importantly, what you don't like about it.

I haven't used a small cam (other than a phone) in a looong time. I just found these two kicking around in my camera drawer, that go back around 10 years. But who knows...a small cam with a great 35mm could be interesting in the future. An f/1.4 lens would be ideal for what I like to shoot, but that would likely take it out the small cam category.

I’d be sorely tempted by the RX1R, but it is long overdue for an update - think of all the a7/a9/a1 technology that has happened since then. Improved menus and ergonomics, the new autofocus, and CF Express A support would have me emptying my wallet pretty fast to pick one up.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I’d be sorely tempted by the RX1R, but it is long overdue for an update - think of all the a7/a9/a1 technology that has happened since then. Improved menus and ergonomics, the new autofocus, and CF Express A support would have me emptying my wallet pretty fast to pick one up.

I noticed it was a few years old. Do you think an update will be coming in the near future?

Last edited:

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
here’s another good street photographer/leica ambassador

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I noticed it was a few years sold. Do you think an update will be coming in the near future?
I follow the rumor mill closely and haven’t heard anything. Normally there’d be at least a whisper if something was forthcoming. I kind of get the feeling they’ve decided that the RX line is only for vloggers. Hasn;t even been an rx100 update in awhile other than that recent vlogger camera that goes by a different name.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
But damn, what an eye! And amazing access!

I'd also add there's likely a *ton* of built-up trust and respect he's developed over a looong time within the celebrity community. They know he's not going to take the cheap or embarrassing tabloid type shot. No doubt he has an outgoing personality. And he genuinely cares about his subjects - something they easily pick up on from his body language, demeanor, questions he asks, approach and how he communicates in general. At that point they're fully invested in him making successful photographs.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I have been thoroughly enjoying the images of these amazing photographers, especially the last one, Alan Schaller. Terrific, all of them! These guys know how to use B&W to best advantage, that's clear. Alan Schaller certainly presents crisp images with plenty of contrast, which is all-important.

Yes, I daresay, Citypix, that you're correct in that Greg Williams has indeed developed and established a lot of trust over the years with the various celebrities we see in his images. I agree that it's definitely a matter of personality, caring about and genuine interest in his subjects, that helps makes these images so engaging. I wonder, too, if the fact that he's not waving a honking big lens in their faces and instead has this seemingly innocuous little Q2 in hand also makes a difference?

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I wonder, too, if the fact that he's not waving a honking big lens in their faces and instead has this seemingly innocuous little Q2 in hand also makes a difference?

That's a great question! Similarly, that often comes up in discussions about "street photography," and whether large cameras and lenses attract attention and adverse reactions from people on the street being candidly photographed.

Many think that's true. And thus believe being stealthy/sneaky so subjects don't see you is the solution. I couldn't disagree more.

From my experiences, people on the street are incredibly perceptive. And react adversely to photographers engaging in *suspicious behavior*, rather than camera/lens size. I've seen a lot of that from people starting out in street photography.

Examples I've witnessed (and that I've done in the past) include: shooting from the hip while walking, pretending to fiddle with your camera while you sneak a candid photo of a person, looking one direction while you sneak a shot of a person in another direction, etc, etc. People are very perceptive to that and some don't like it to the point of calling you out on it. I've seen people called out on sneaking shots, and then when challenged, lie that they didn't. That just makes matters worse. At that point just own it and apologize.

Best to just square up with your subject, smile, take the shot, say thank you and move on. If challenged, that's an opportunity to have a discussion, explain what you're doing (for me that's: I'm documenting the city, or it's for my blog (when I had one)). And then hit them up for a posed portrait. :) They'll often say yes. :)

For making impromptu street portraits, just start up a conversation with someone. Say something complimentary about their tats, glasses, hat, etc. And then ease into hitting them up for a portrait. Most of the time they say yes. Some need a little convincing. It's about establishing trust and respect. And ideally that flows in both directions

Soooo...getting back to your question, I'm guessing camera size has little to do with him making great photos. And that it's mostly about the respect and trust he exudes, and his reputation. Just speculation on my part.

Edit: Also... I've made photos of people on the street, candid and posed, with a variety of camera sizes and really haven't noticed that making any difference with respect to engagement.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I agree with you about how being sneaky can backfire on a street photographer and immediately set up an atmosphere of mistrust, possibly even anger. Your approach seems much better all the way around, both for the subject(s) and the photographer. I don't do street photography, it's really not my thing, and especially in today's hypersensitive, hyper impulsive society, it just seems safer not to do it anyway, particularly in highly urbanized areas. There's no way I'd be going downtown to DC, walking the streets there and shooting photos, even with a small, discreet compact camera.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I agree with you about how being sneaky can backfire on a street photographer and immediately set up an atmosphere of mistrust, possibly even anger. Your approach seems much better all the way around, both for the subject(s) and the photographer. I don't do street photography, it's really not my thing, and especially in today's hypersensitive, hyper impulsive society, it just seems safer not to do it anyway, particularly in highly urbanized areas. There's no way I'd be going downtown to DC, walking the streets there and shooting photos, even with a small, discreet compact camera.

With the pandemic the last time I made street photos was two years ago. From what I hear from my friends and see in the news, the dynamics on the streets in San Francisco with respect to increased violence have changed dramatically - it's awful. I haven't decided if that's something I want to take a chance on going forward. Probably not.

Getting back to camera size, I suspect a smaller cam does give Williams a lot more flexibility and ease of shooting. And perhaps that translates to easier subject engagement.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
@kenoh do you follow greg williams? he shoots mostly celebrities but he works (i think exclusively) with the q2. he does award ceremonies and movie posters. what he gets with a fixed lens camera is pretty amazing.

Hi, Yes I do. There is a Greg Williams special edition Q2 but they are so hard to find over here. Seeing my brother in law this past week shooting with only an iPhone at the family wedding has been incredible. He gets shots on his phone I cannot even get close to on my cameras. I am blown away and honestly, sitting here wondering if I have got the whole dedicated camera thing wrong…. No danger of me selling up yet mind you.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hi, Yes I do. There is a Greg Williams special edition Q2 but they are so hard to find over here. Seeing my brother in law this past week shooting with only an iPhone at the family wedding has been incredible. He gets shots on his phone I cannot even get close to on my cameras. I am blown away and honestly, sitting here wondering if I have got the whole dedicated camera thing wrong…. No danger of me selling up yet mind you.

What I noticed pretty much shooting only with my phone for the last 7-10 years (it's a blur), is my approach to making photographs changing. Instead of going out for a few hours and looking for photos to make, whether in downtown San Francisco or at the beach area, I now make photos (not so much during the pandemic) wherever I am and what I run into, with my phone. The quality is good enough for what I like to shoot and print. As is the focal length (around 30mm - preferring 35mm on a "real" camera ).

Still, there are times when I think about going back to a regular camera. If I did, it would probably be something similar to an RX1R. And I'd need a specific goal or project in mind. I have a couple projects in mind, but don't yet know if I'll move forward on them.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
The iPhone is terrific for spontaneity; one sees something (or someone) interesting and can immediately pull out the iPhone (or other brand smartphone) and fire off a few shots, stick the phone back into a pocket or bag and move on. No fuss, no muss.....

Someone on another photography forum where I hang out occasionally reminds us that "art is everywhere," and he is right. By looking, and actually seeing, interesting images are out there, just waiting to be captured. This is where curiosity, creativity and spontaneity come in. I'm always surprised when someone whines that he or she couldn't find anything to shoot.... Even when the weather is lousy and I'm indoors at home I often manage to find something interesting to explore with the camera. Sometimes the results come out very nicely, other times not so much so, but the fun was in the shooting experience.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The iPhone is terrific for spontaneity; one sees something (or someone) interesting and can immediately pull out the iPhone (or other brand smartphone) and fire off a few shots, stick the phone back into a pocket or bag and move on. No fuss, no muss.....

Yep, that’s how I got this museum-quality rendition of the world’s handsomest dog bringing me my wife’s slippers.

5D1886A9-0DFD-4A9E-93BA-3B679FDE2237.jpeg

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
What I noticed pretty much shooting only with my phone for the last 7-10 years (it's a blur), is my approach to making photographs changing. Instead of going out for a few hours and looking for photos to make, whether in downtown San Francisco or at the beach area, I now make photos (not so much during the pandemic) wherever I am and what I run into, with my phone. The quality is good enough for what I like to shoot and print. As is the focal length (around 30mm - preferring 35mm on a "real" camera ).

Still, there are times when I think about going back to a regular camera. If I did, it would probably be something similar to an RX1R. And I'd need a specific goal or project in mind. I have a couple projects in mind, but don't yet know if I'll move forward on them.
I have an RX1R too. I really like it. The lens is as everyone claims - fantastic

But I would go second generation at this stage. Totally understand where you are coming from though.

I have always been the “wherever I am, whatever I run into” type of shooter - I do wander off on photo days too but in the main I am very much the “bring my camera with me rather than go with my camera” type

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have an RX1R too. I really like it. The lens is as everyone claims - fantastic

Thanks for replying! I'm not in a hurry, and still not sure if it makes sense for me. But if I did want to get back to using a dedicated camera that would be high on my list. At this point I can wait for a gen 2.

Curious... Is there anything you don't like about it, or little nits you find annoying or frustrating?

Top Bottom
1 2