Sony A8?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Okay, just spoke with a nice lady at the store who says she regularly in touch with Fred and they've been trying to get him back for another signing, it's just a matter of scheduling and his health (at 93 that's to be expected) but they took my information and will let me know. @citypix I'll be sure to share if/when that happens. They don't have any signed copies so I'll just buy from Amazon and then take it to be signed (along with my other books :mrgreen:).
Sounds good. I ordered from Amazon as well.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
It’s on my list. Waiting to feel camera in hand to decide. Spare battery is what will really commit me. Those things cost $285 here!
So did you order/get one? I was going through some old photography threads at MR and saw that you were asking about the original Q in 2018!

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So did you order/get one? I was going through some old photography threads at MR and saw that you were asking about the original Q in 2018!
I did? I don’t even remember that!

I have one on order. Who knows when it will become available. If too much longer I will cancel and wait for the Q3.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

looks like Q3 isn’t until next year, at least.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
looks like Q3 isn’t until next year, at least.

this has been known for awhile, but people keep hoping for a surprise.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
this has been known for awhile, but people keep hoping for a surprise.

Taking this into account, I’m going to spend the next day or two to decide whether maybe I just go for the regular Q2 so I can get it faster, and “incognito it” using black gaffers tape over the red dot (which is what I did to my A1, lest friends and family members demand I buy them A1’s too :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I just read the book's description on the Taschen website. Looks like images are from a large and very impressive group of photographers:

"Master photographers include, among others: Stephen Shore, Imogen Cunningham, Fred Lyon, Steve Schapiro, Minor White, Dorothea Lange, Albert Watson, Robert Frank, Garry Winogrand, William Claxton, Fred Herzog, Ansel Adams, Jim Marshall, and many local shooters."

Should be great! Thinking about buying one. Thanks for posting this, Eric!
Just wanted to follow up that the good people from the Leica store in San Francisco just called and they now have signed copies by Fred Lyon in, even though I already have it I'm going in to get this one anyway because it means a lot to me to have his signature.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
Taking this into account, I’m going to spend the next day or two to decide whether maybe I just go for the regular Q2 so I can get it faster, and “incognito it” using black gaffers tape over the red dot (which is what I did to my A1, lest friends and family members demand I buy them A1’s too :)
At the risk of being badged as an enabler again :).... Go for it. There seems to be an uptick in people getting Q2s all of a sudden. Hell MR Canon himself Peter McKinnon got one and loves it - albeit the reporter edition.

There is another Wetzlar price hike looming in July remember so if you are going to get one, best before the uplift.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
At the risk of being badged as an enabler again :).... Go for it. There seems to be an uptick in people getting Q2s all of a sudden. Hell MR Canon himself Peter McKinnon got one and loves it - albeit the reporter edition.

There is another Wetzlar price hike looming in July remember so if you are going to get one, best before the uplift.
Ok ok. I just placed an order for a regular Q2. Amazon is selling them itself (not through 6th ave or another dealer), and at a discount price, so I figured it was a sign. Should arrive friday. Now if only my daughter gets through the half-decade long phase where she won’t let me photograph her :)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Congrats! On another thread here Molly and I were discussing Vivian Maier. Another sign of some sort (even though she used a Rollei)?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Ok ok. I just placed an order for a regular Q2. Amazon is selling them itself (not through 6th ave or another dealer), and at a discount price, so I figured it was a sign. Should arrive friday. Now if only my daughter gets through the half-decade long phase where she won’t let me photograph her :)
Congrats, looks like a wonderful camera. Have you had a chance to go into the Leica store in San Francisco? Really cool place, different than any other camera store I've ever been into, more like a gallery.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats, looks like a wonderful camera. Have you had a chance to go into the Leica store in San Francisco? Really cool place, different than any other camera store I've ever been into, more like a gallery.
I’ve been in there once. Very fun place.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Arrived! Charging the battery, which arrived almost dead.

Attachments

• 74833345-738B-402E-B6BF-946107327F67.jpeg
    74833345-738B-402E-B6BF-946107327F67.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 37

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, beautiful! A second battery is usually my first purchase afterwards.
That’s arriving today too. Screen protector and transparent filter already installed. Not sure I like the strap I bought - it’s a tiny bit short maybe.

Waiting for the battery to charge so I can do a firmware update and then take my first photo :).

I did set up the main settings though.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Build quality is great. Heavier than i expected. The Fotos app on iphone is pretty good - the camera connects easily and it all seems smoother than my Sony A1 with the sony app. Definitely needs a thumb grip, though - if I want to use 1 hand (which is possible with this camera, unlike my Sonys), it puts strain on my wrist because of the location of the thumb indent - I need it to be to the left more if it’s an indent.

First couple of pics attached - these are jpegs unretouched, taken in “vivid” mode. F1.7, auto shutter, and I selected the targets just to get a feel for colors and light, and not composition or anything. Haven’t peeked into the dng files yet. I have a third, more colorful photo, but it is apparently too large for the forum for some reason and shrinking it would defeat the point.

86B507B9-1FDF-4614-A292-C893104DFB6F.jpeg
1B952B1F-BB3D-44A6-82A1-9359F8476EF5.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Build quality is great. Heavier than i expected. The Fotos app on iphone is pretty good - the camera connects easily and it all seems smoother than my Sony A1 with the sony app. Definitely needs a thumb grip, though - if I want to use 1 hand (which is possible with this camera, unlike my Sonys), it puts strain on my wrist because of the location of the thumb indent - I need it to be to the left more if it’s an indent.

First couple of pics attached - these are jpegs unretouched, taken in “vivid” mode. F1.7, auto shutter, and I selected the targets just to get a feel for colors and light, and not composition or anything. Haven’t peeked into the dng files yet. I have a third, more colorful photo, but it is apparently too large for the forum for some reason and shrinking it would defeat the point.

View attachment 15285View attachment 15287
Looks good! Yeah we have to have those limits in place or it really eats at the disk space on the host but you can always link it if you upload at full size on the cloud somewhere.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks good! Yeah we have to have those limits in place or it really eats at the disk space on the host but you can always link it if you upload at full size on the cloud somewhere.
Not a problem - it’s interesting to me that the photos straddled the size limit. JPG compression is neat.

Top Bottom
1 2