TF Guy! You know what it means

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
⬆️ This. And it’s not only about restaurants getting squeezed by these services. I for the life of me can’t understand being so lazy that you can’t order on a restaurant’s app or by phone and get your sorry ass in your car and go get it.

I mean, if you’re in quarantine or something that’s different. But many, probably most, of their customers aren’t.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Why don’t people just go and pick it up from the restaurant? Everybody thinks if there’s an “app” for something, then it’s automatically good? I’ve never used Uber because I’m not in favor of getting into a run-down Toyota with a complete stranger and hoping they’ll take me where I want to go. There are laws when it comes to Taxis, buses, etc... but do any of them apply to Uber? Not interested in finding out first-hand. My only experience with one of those food delivery companies was when one of their drivers hit my car because he was in such a hurry to deliver some tacos or something. It was a royal pain to deal with the insurance because apparently nobody at postmates has a telephone - only email.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Uber has its uses. If you’re too drunk to drive home, by all means call. Taxis do the same thing however.

As for food, I’m a cheap bastard who’d rather take a five-minute hop down the street to pick up my food than tip a GrubHub delivery person.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Uber has its uses. If you’re too drunk to drive home, by all means call. Taxis do the same thing however.
I generally use Lyft, but either service is great for avoiding DUIs. Several times I’ve covered some serious mileage bar hopping. I don’t know where we are at now with pricing but I remember it being way more affordable than attempting the same in a taxi. As far as quality, and this may depend on where you live, but I’ve always gotten a quality car and driver.

By comparison, until these services came along you were pretty much stuck with the quality of the taxi and driver, because what are you really going to do about it? The bar was already pretty low using a taxi. With Uber or Lyft they use a driver and rider rating system. So it’s somewhat crowd policed. You know what the charge is before you even get in the vehicle. I couldn’t tell you how many times a taxi driver took the long route just to raise the fare. Also you do the tipping (or lack of) once you’re already out of the vehicle and the driver is on the road. So you can be honest about the tip while avoiding a scene if you thought the ride sucked.

But again, experience may differ depending on where you live. I live in Silicon Valley. So almost always a lot of vehicles available and odds are you aren’t going to get picked up in a beater and driven into the wilderness never to be seen again.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Yeah some of the replies to that tweet don't take him to task for his videotaped remarks, of course, but they do a lot of them run to "What, he thinks we forgot already?"

There was a lot of talk about Daniel Cameron being a rising star in the GOP's pantheon but he may have held onto that too hard in his head while also needing to get justice a seat at the table after Breonna Taylor was slain. Time will tell. There's still a federal investigation ongoing. But the political jury might be farther out now on Cameron's political future, ya think? At least among a lot of the voters in Kentucky.

Some state AG sometime has to stand up more and see to it getting done right the first time, and not be waiting on a federal investigation's effort to make a civil rights angle stand in for actual justice. Cameron has to be a disappointment to the people of Kentucky who chose him (rightly, I think) over Schroder in the May 2019 GOP primary. Schroder (white) had run an ad that a whole lot of voters clearly pegged as a bridge way too far. That ad was appalling.

But Cameron needs to bring more than uplifting remarks about Black History month to his job going forward. No one's going to forget last year, nor the difference between charges of wanton endangerment versus homicide, and no one's going to forget that Cameron described his presentation to the grand jury differently up front and then later on when the transcripts were about to be released under court order, and that his first presentation sounded more like the attempt to bring justice than what actually happened. Sometimes you can't thread a needle.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Wha? You don't say?

tenor.gif

According to the Associated Press, Micah Hirokawa, director of the Maria Montessori Academy in North Ogden, Utah, posted to the school’s Facebook page on Friday that parents would be able “to exercise their civil rights to not participate in Black History Month at the school.” Predictably, there was public backlash to this decision, because anyone who’s been paying at least a little bit of attention to, well, everything, would know this wouldn’t fly.

Betty Sawyer, head of the Ogden chapter of the NAACP, reached out to the school on Saturday to talk to them about why they decided to make the curriculum about Black history optional. The post was also met with backlash by other parents at the school, according to the Hill.

Rebecca Bennett, a parent at the school, reportedly wrote underneath the Facebook post that she was “appalled to see the form sent out that allows parents to opt their kids out of this and to hear that this is all because some parents have requested it.” By Saturday evening the post was eventually deleted from the school’s page.

“We regret that after receiving requests, an opt-out form was sent out concerning activities planned during this month of celebration,” a statement from Hirokawa and the school’s board of directors said.
Hirokawa, who is of Asian descent, noted in the statement that the request from parents “deeply saddens and disappoints me.”

“We should not shield our children from the history of our Nation, the mistreatment of its African American citizens, and the bravery of civil rights leaders, but should educate them about it,” Hirokawa said.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
U

User.45

A little too blunt for my taste. I guess she means that if it weren't for black pioneers, he would still be called a N', and there's a discrepancy between him embracing BHM and concurrently embracing actions and processes that keep Blacks second class citizens. Yet again, if something needs to be explained, maybe it isn't that witty.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
A little too blunt for my taste. I guess she means that if it weren't for black pioneers, he would still be called a N', and there's a discrepancy between him embracing BHM and concurrently embracing actions and processes that keep Blacks second class citizens. Yet again, if something needs to be explained, maybe it isn't that witty.
For me NOT blunt enough.

I just know if I said something like that, the effect would be negligible, but the man's sell out coonery needs to be broadcast repeatedly.
Make him walk with that stink.

I'd want to be celebrity enough to say that, trigger the racists, and throw in a gif for ALL of them who supported this ish.

tenor.gif

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'd put this in the trump humor thread but of course it is not funny and not even about trump really, just all the apparent seditionists in the Senate... so the GOP elephant itself gets to be This F'g Guy in advance of a predictable verdict, barring some sort of miracle.

2nd impeachment trial cartoon verdict.jpg

U

User.45

Has he read the constitution?
It's not about that. It's about damage control. It's clear REPs will acquit Trump which will be indefensible, unless you claim your acquittal vote was given because of constitutional issues and not because of Trump being innocent. The result is some wiggle room over how they will spin it on the long run. McConnell is much more dangerous than Trump, because he is far from an idiot.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It's not about that. It's about damage control. It's clear REPs will acquit Trump which will be indefensible, unless you claim your acquittal vote was given because of constitutional issues and not because of Trump being innocent. The result is some wiggle room over how they will spin it on the long run. McConnell is much more dangerous than Trump, because he is far from an idiot.
The Senate has actually tried somebody who was no longer in office before. But NOW it’s unconstitutional? WTF? 1876 Belknap trial. So... they are full of baloney.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
The Senate has actually tried somebody who was no longer in office before. But NOW it’s unconstitutional? WTF? 1876 Belknap trial. So... they are full of baloney.
That was the important part of the dems opening argument, that impeachment has been usually used for individuals no longer in office. I believe the 'r's who are constitutionalist by self quoting, were hoping this was overlooked, as much as 45's legal team that was using the work of a legal scholar out of context.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Something if true, to take with you back to the impeachment thread...

TF Guy!

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1359573482699251713/
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1359601372203802629/

Senator Josh Hawley, a bellwether of Donald Trump's "stop the steal" movement to overturn the 2020 election results, was watching the second day of impeachment proceedings against the former president from the gallery above the chamber.

The Trump loyalist, a first-term Missouri Republican, was seen at various points with his legs crossed, his feet propped up on the chair in front of him, and reviewing some sort of paperwork in a manila folder, according to several reporters with a view of the room from their seats in the press gallery.

All other 99 senators were seated at their desks on the Senate floor, except for Senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont, the president pro tempore of the chamber who is presiding over the trial from the top perch atop the dais.
Seriously, F this guy with a piece of rusty rebar recently found at the bottom of water where the latest Chevron oil spill occurred in CA.

Top Bottom
1 2