The Election Day Thread

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I stopped looking at Twitter finally. Checked Vox one more time.

I've already had my European friends tell me to get this right, as if I had a say. I voted a month ago, there isn't more I can do.

And so we cracked the Plum wine open. Which means it's time to chill with some music and lights, and deal with a new world tomorrow.

✌️🤙🙏

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It’s pretty sad that everybody knows Biden will win the most votes, but we have to go through all these f-ing shenanigans to see who our president will be. If we get ANOTHER 4 years of a minority president, it’s going to be big trouble for America. We need to kill the electoral college.

Well I think we should at least kill the winner-takes-all approach to allocation of a state's electoral votes. It's obvious by now that even in a concession to the idea of "rural" and "urban" regional differences, there's no such thing now as a quantifiable set of state or regional voting interests in some of the flyovers in the heartlands, where urban voters are not of the same politics as those in the agricultural areas.

Same even in other states, like New York, where it's commonly said that upstate is conservative and downstate is liberal: it's much more finely tuned than that, and an array of congresscritters along the political spectrum upstate and down does prove that. Even as I write this post, one borough of Trump's oft-reviled New York City is predictably voting to elect that same Donald Trump to a second term...

So before kicking out the electoral college entirely, maybe we should first look at a more proportional allocation of a state's electoral votes according to popular votes, either as a whole, by congressional district or some combination thereof. It's the way some states do that right now.

Sure, it may be a way of nudging ourselves towards more of a parliamentary construction of government in the long run, because it may well jack up the possibility of third parties ending up with congressional seats, and so complicate other federal government assumptions that are now made about "majority" versus "minority" powers... but I'm not sure that's a bad idea either. It still keeps the focus on the people of the USA consenting actively and more effectively to representation in our self-governance.

In the era of Donald Trump, we found out that the winner of the 2016 electoral college votes ended up believing there was no need to take into account the wishes of "the other side" at all. It's half the country's voting population that he's been dissing for four years and unlike his assertions, that half of the country's folks are not all located in blue states. So WTF is that about? That is not how the American presidency was envisioned, no matter the fact that the framers of our Constitution meant to give that executive office extensive and flexible powers.

lizkat

Reaction score
America is doomed.

Not quite. Maybe a good night's sleep or a week on a beach would be a good idea about now.

At least Hickenlooper has won Cory Gardner's seat in the US Senate for Colorado.

Helping make the Senate margin skinnier for McConnell may be a half-loaf but it's something and the rest of the Senate races deemed competitive are not all over yet either.

lizkat

Reaction score
Watching MSNBC at the moment, apparently Biden is going to speak in a little while at drive-in rally in Wilmington,,,, doubtless to encourage his supporters to remain patient while the vote counts continue in days ahead.

Meanwhile assorted outlets are suggesting Minnesota wil indeed go to Biden.

lizkat

Reaction score
Georgia still looks like a lean-to-Biden. The count has quit for the night but before that happened, enough of a look at Atlanta came in to make Georgia stay viable for Biden with a shedload of Atlanta votes still to go, and predictably blue at that. The NYT moved their needle on the forecast for Georgia into blue territory from tossup...

lizkat

Reaction score
And so, Biden having concluded his remarks and Trump apparently feeling compelled to say something as well, we move on. And of course he's not mincing words, he's.. uh... winning?

And so on to the silly season of the wee hours.jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
There's still a lot of Michigan on tap... and Georgia's even still looking to be in play.

yes georgia is still in play.jpg

It's no landslide scenario but Biden's going to carry the day in the end. If he does take Pennslvania, which could take quite awhile to determine, that's pretty much game over if the rust belt margins hold up ok.

I can't wait to see the breakouts though. There may have been some shy Biden voters but it also looks like there were truckloads of shy Trump voters in 2020. The latter doesn't surprise me because actually saying you're a Trump fan in some circles would raise eyebrows for sure, so it's easier to sigh and say something deflective like "they're all the same"... which we know is BS.

What does surprise me though is the indicated actual margins in some states that were forecast for (and have been called for) Trump. I expected some of those margins to be smaller wins for Trump in 2020 and I think so did some of the polling in advance of the election.

Still, Biden's pop vote margin will exceed that of Clinton's and I do still believe he'll win the electoral vote.

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
The Squad is forecast to retain their House seats.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1323870575383748608/

and further:

Democratic Senator Tina Smith has won re-election in Minnesota -- call by ABC News, which also calls the state for Biden... which in turn has good implications for Michigan and Wisconsin.

ABC also calls Nebraska 2nd district for Biden, which is huge.. means if Biden also takes Arizona he's pretty much assured of winning the presidency without Pennsylvania as long as the rust belt holds for him -- meaning Wisconsin and Michigan now, since he has Minnesota.

And on that note I'm calling it a good start to Wednesday, the coffee from 6pm has finally worn off and I've got just enough wakefulness to find the stairwell if I look for it inside of about 2 minutes. 'Night all.

Nope... wait up... the AP just called Arizona for Joe Biden. WOW. First time since 19fucking48 that a Dem candidate for president has won that state. YOWZA !!

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Trump has done the predictable stand-up-and-lie spiel in the wee hours of Nov 4:

He said he wants to go to the supreme court because "we want all voting to stop"... mind you all voting stopped when the last polls closed in Alaska yesterday...

... and other garbage. Anchors and pundits and others are calling Trump out on it, reminding that voting and counting votes are two different things, etc.

Chris Wallace called it throwing a match on a flammable situation... even Chris Christie who coached Trump for debates said that Trump's speech was bad political strategy.

Well now I'm going to bed because I've heard it all lol.

U

User.45

GA will be ridiculously close:
As of 4AM today, there are ~231K votes to be counted, with a 102K Trump lead. BUT, the vast majority of the votes to be counted are coming from Atlanta, and Augusta, all with strong Biden leads.
DeKalb has 63K more votes to count, and it's with a 67% Biden edge (projected 42K vote differential)
Fulton has 110K more votes, 45% Biden edge (projected vote differential 50K)
Clayton has 19K outstanding votes, 71% Biden edge (projected vote differential 13K)
Augusta has 15K outstanding votes, 37% Biden edge (projected vote differential 5K)

Very very close.

Top Bottom
1 2