The Republican Agenda 2021 and Forward

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

I'm just add (or expand?) that all the right is concerned with right now is regaining power. Once they have it, they have no clue what to do with ruling over so many people. The long in power Republicans know their decades of running interference for the rich is played out and their usual scapegoats aren't the real cause of inequality. They have no economic plan that can fix that reality and those at the top have a death grip on maintaining the status quo to their economic benefit. So the only tool available to them is pushing the lower classes to violence against each other, a purge that also won't solve anything.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

I'm just add (or expand?) that all the right is concerned with right now is regaining power. Once they have it, they have no clue what to do with ruling over so many people. The long in power Republicans know their decades of running interference for the rich is played out and their usual scapegoats aren't the real cause of inequality. They have no economic plan that can fix that reality and those at the top have a death grip on maintaining the status quo to their economic benefit. So the only tool available to them is pushing the lower classes to violence against each other, a purge that also won't solve anything.
2022 will be the warning shot if, more likely when Republicans take back the Congress. But I can’t honestly say when the majority will actually call bull shit on the minority and take action to stop the dismantling of Democracy in the USA.

There is just as likely a chance we will continue slide towards fascism until armed conflict breaks out. I can’t offer up any speculation as to a time frame for this as V For Vendetta plays in my brain. The thing about V for Vendetta, it was completely unrealistic portrayed as a peaceful resolution to the story. I see that as highly unlikely based on how human beings tend to play.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
2022 will be the warning shot if, more likely when Republicans take back the Congress. But I can’t honestly say when the majority will actually call bull shit on the minority and take action to stop the dismantling of Democracy in the USA.

There is just as likely a chance we will continue slide towards fascism until armed conflict breaks out. I can’t offer up any speculation as to a time frame for this as V For Vendetta plays in my brain. The thing about V for Vendetta, it was completely unrealistic portrayed as a peaceful resolution to the story. I see that as highly unlikely based on how human beings tend to play.
If Congress is controlled by the GOP in 2022, and a Democratic candidate wins the presidency in 2024, will they refuse to certify the results? Will they select different electors and put in a Republican candidate? Will Kamala Harris be able to overrule it? If we just had popular vote winner = new President, we wouldn’t have to worry about any of those shenanigans. Our system is not well-defended against a coup. Too many different ways to circumvent the popular vote and use other mechanisms to keep power.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

The main obstruction is rich donors and people in Congress living in a corruption bubble, and it's rampant on both sides. They get an earful of “this is better for the country” from lobbyists all day long. On the right you have legacy industries and on the left you have the tech industry. For both you have Wall St and the military. Ultimately those industries want the same thing (increased profits by any means) and Congress almost always delivers.

Meanwhile we all get to watch things fall apart in slow motion because Republicans are cowards against Trumpists and Democrats are cowards against playing hardball and taking advantage of power when they have it. It's ironic that keeping the peace will probably have a violent outcome.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The main obstruction is rich donors and people in Congress living in a corruption bubble, and it's rampant on both sides. They get an earful of “this is better for the country” from lobbyists all day long. On the right you have legacy industries and on the left you have the tech industry. For both you have Wall St and the military. Ultimately those industries want the same thing (increased profits by any means) and Congress almost always delivers.

Meanwhile we all get to watch things fall apart in slow motion because Republicans are cowards against Trumpists and Democrats are cowards against playing hardball and taking advantage of power when they have it. It's ironic that keeping the peace will probably have a violent outcome.
The main obstruction is rich donors and people in Congress living in a corruption bubble, and it's rampant on both sides

I’m hoping this is not your version of they are all the same. Because contrary to being the same, it’s the bad worse ones who don’t give a damn about level playing fields, equal opportunity, and democracy will end up in charge of corruption, Trump clones paying lip service to patriotism, Christianity, and democracy which will have been reduced to an illusion, transmuted into My Power as I define it, and you, anyone who opposes me can suck it up or I have a bullet reserved for you.

To be clear, I am not Democrat, I voted Republican during one part of my life. You see nothing like this in today’s Democratic Party. Yes, the Dems need to work harder, but I’ll also remind you they are dealing with STUPID back home who are likely to vote STUPID.

As you know, I think we as a Nation are very likely screwed by… STUPID.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
If Congress is controlled by the GOP in 2022, and a Democratic candidate wins the presidency in 2024, will they refuse to certify the results? Will they select different electors and put in a Republican candidate? Will Kamala Harris be able to overrule it? If we just had popular vote winner = new President, we wouldn’t have to worry about any of those shenanigans. Our system is not well-defended against a coup. Too many different ways to circumvent the popular vote and use other mechanisms to keep power.

First let me say Republicans are worse. ;)

But having said that, it seems both sides want to leave our broken system alone so that they too can possibly abuse it at a future date. But it also seems that Republicans are more than willing to abuse it when they have the opportunity without hesitation. Democrats on the other hand throw up the bipartisan white flag when they should be abusing.

Like I said in another post, Biden could be executive ordering the shit out of everything right now instead of watching us slide into fascism at the hands of his bipartisan wishes that Republicans have zero interest in.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The main obstruction is rich donors and people in Congress living in a corruption bubble, and it's rampant on both sides

I’m hoping this is not your version of they are all the same. Because contrary to being the same, it’s the bad worse ones who don’t give a damn about level playing fields, equal opportunity, and democracy will end up in charge of corruption, Trump clones playing lip service to patriotism, Christianity, and democracy which will have been reduced to an illusion, transmuted into My Power as I define it, and you, anyone who opposes me can suck it up or I have a bullet reserved for you.

To be clear, I am not Democrat, I voted Republican during one part of my life. You see nothing like this in today’s Democratic Party. Yes, the Dems need to work harder, but I’ll also remind you they are dealing with STUPID back home who are likely to vote STUPID.

As you know, I think we as a Nation are very likely screwed by… STUPID.

This didn’t start with Trump, maybe the stupid emerging like frogs in a rain storm, but this is the result of both parties failing the people for decades, Republicans with their lies and Democrats with their failed promises. Meanwhile throughout the rich have only gotten richer while everybody else races to the bottom. That doesn’t happen without both parties being complicit.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This didn’t start with Trump, maybe the stupid emerging like frogs in a rain storm, but this is the result of both parties failing the people for decades, Republicans with their lies and Democrats with their failed promises. Meanwhile throughout the rich have only gotten richer while everybody else races to the bottom. That doesn’t happen without both parties being complicit.
I gave this a like, but in no way can I describe it as both sides complicit, because they are not imo, at least not in the same manner. Instead if I was to critique the liberal wing of humanity it would be incompetant, flawed, well meaning but selfish and human, yes by all means. Unfortunately human also includes all the horrendous characteristics we see in todays GOP, the dark side. It’s like Star Wars and the force, it’s whatever we decide, are compelled to do with our gift of intelligence.

And as always STUPID can’t be overestimated for the situation we find ourselves in today.
It can legitimately asked do Human beings deserve to suceed with the kinds of choices we are collectively making In 2022?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
First let me say Republicans are worse. ;)

But having said that, it seems both sides want to leave our broken system alone so that they too can possibly abuse it at a future date. But it also seems that Republicans are more than willing to abuse it when they have the opportunity without hesitation. Democrats on the other hand throw up the bipartisan white flag when they should be abusing.

Like I said in another post, Biden could be executive ordering the shit out of everything right now instead of watching us slide into fascism at the hands of his bipartisan wishes that Republicans have zero interest in.

Yeah but if Biden ran the place via exec orders the way Trump did, he'd be poisoning the 2024 well big time, AND diminishing chance of holding the House in 2022.

All because the Rs are better at focusing their message du jour, and it doesn't bother them in the least that it's hypocritical to carp about exec orders when those were Trump's favorite way of defanging agency rules and trying to go around Congress when Congress said no.

The Rs steamroll complaints about hypocrisy the same way they steamroll complaints about Trump's lies. They read the next sentence in the talking points for today as if that script had been handed down with the Ten Commandments, and then they move on.

The Dems respond to complaints by offering logical rebuttals. This to a nation that elected Trump even once...

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1478441056224096260/

THIS is the "blue lives matter" crowd.

_116385741_gettyimages-1230454354_2.jpg

That want to celebrate Jan 6th

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Yeah but if Biden ran the place via exec orders the way Trump did, he'd be poisoning the 2024 well big time, AND diminishing chance of holding the House in 2022.

All because the Rs are better at focusing their message du jour, and it doesn't bother them in the least that it's hypocritical to carp about exec orders when those were Trump's favorite way of defanging agency rules and trying to go around Congress when Congress said no.

The Rs steamroll complaints about hypocrisy the same way they steamroll complaints about Trump's lies. They read the next sentence in the talking points for today as if that script had been handed down with the Ten Commandments, and then they move on.

The Dems respond to complaints by offering logical rebuttals. This to a nation that elected Trump even once...

I think Democrats lost any chance of keeping Congress months ago. Not only would it be a historical fluke, but they’ve failed to deliver anything substantial while continuing to whittle down BBB to a withering husk that ultimately won’t do much. Now their only hope is that Trump extremists will scare off right leaning voters.

Democrats will die on the hill of trying to appeal to moderates. In today’s reality moderates are like a fire department run by water conservationist extremists. “We would have put out the fire, but you know, water. You should just be happy that we have a symbolic fire department that doesn’t actually put out fires. Be like me and try to have a house that isn’t on fire.”

I don’t know what moderates will do if a civil war breaks out. Hang a Swiss flag in front of their house thinking it will make the warring mobs leave them alone in peace? Maybe they can stave off a public execution with "I think we can all agree the national debt is our biggest concern."

lizkat

Reaction score
I think Democrats lost any chance of keeping Congress months ago. Not only would it be a historical fluke, but they’ve failed to deliver anything substantial while continuing to whittle down BBB to a withering husk that ultimately won’t do much. Now their only hope is that Trump extremists will scare off right leaning voters.

Democrats will die on the hill of trying to appeal to moderates. In today’s reality moderates are like a fire department run by water conservationist extremists. “We would have put out the fire, but you know, water. You should just be happy that we have a symbolic fire department that doesn’t actually put out fires. Be like me and try to have a house that isn’t on fire.”

I don’t know what moderates will do if a civil war breaks out. Hang a Swiss flag in front of their house thinking it will make the warring mobs leave them alone in peace? Maybe they can stave off a public execution with "I think we can all agree the national debt is our biggest concern."

It's true the indies are more likely to stay home than vote for a third party. That works too though. For Dems, assuming they can motivate turnout.

I've moved on for today. Now considering the world we live in as Ars Technica sees it this afternoon.

God help us. The goldfish and the Navy Seals aren't gonna bother.

the world we live in according to Ars Tech.jpg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It's true the indies are more likely to stay home than vote for a third party. That works too though. For Dems, assuming they can motivate turnout.

I've moved on for today. Now considering the world we live in as Ars Technica sees it this afternoon.

View attachment 10784
The SEALs are infamous for having far-right nuts within their ranks.

So yeah, this isn’t surprising at all. Go Army!

lizkat

Reaction score
The SEALs are infamous for having far-right nuts within their ranks.

So apparently are some of the judiciary. There may be a lot more mischief waiting down the road in the "Religious Freedom Act" as interpreted in future by a young and ultra-"conservative" judiciary that McConnell has managed to install on the federal bench. They'll be picking and choosing though. They'll have to, because they won't want to end up with results that are as good for the goose as the gander. It's not like the Dems are going to sit around watching these rulings roll out without taking some as precedent for a flip side view of the 1A as "freedom FROM religion".

And that's where I can still hope the Roberts court still has some interest in not seeming to have gone completely partisan.

U

User.45

View attachment 10784
What's next? Soldiers refuse deployment because killing violates their religious *freedoms?! Seriously, my head is spinning.

Last edited by a moderator:

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
So apparently are some of the judiciary. There may be a lot more mischief waiting down the road in the "Religious Freedom Act" as interpreted in future by a young and ultra-"conservative" judiciary that McConnell has managed to install on the federal bench. They'll be picking and choosing though. They'll have to, because they won't want to end up with results that are as good for the goose as the gander. It's not like the Dems are going to sit around watching these rulings roll out without taking some as precedent for a flip side view of the 1A as "freedom FROM religion".

And that's where I can still hope the Roberts court still has some interest in not seeming to have gone completely partisan.

Roberts has the problem that he's effectively been minimized by a reactionary right. So when he wants to save the court's reputation, the Trump branch—along with Thomas—will screw him sideways.

Expect a completely nonsensical, hare-brained decision from the crew that ignores precedence and re-writes the law. Only for them to ignore that decision when it's convenient.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
They should have to list all the other military mandated vaccines they successfully refused to take.
Exactly. These SEALs are NOT religious, nor are they anti-vax until now. None of this makes any sense, and is clearly just a culture war battle. They filed suit in this dumbass judge’s jurisdiction intentionally… just like Stephen Miller and his racist clowns did when they opposed debt relief for black farmers.

lizkat

Reaction score
Roberts has the problem that he's effectively been minimized by a reactionary right. So when he wants to save the court's reputation, the Trump branch—along with Thomas—will screw him sideways.

Expect a completely nonsensical, hare-brained decision from the crew that ignores precedence and re-writes the law. Only for them to ignore that decision when it's convenient.

Roberts is still capable of eliciting support on certain points from one or another of that crew.

Alito is consistent on First Amendment issues even when the Rs would prefer he give a wink or nod to some aspects of it. The pro-Trump Rs would love to tear down the 1A-related Sullivan v NYT precedent but that's been a reach for a long long time... partly because the self-described "originalist" justices tend to read the plainest English parts of the Constitution in the same way that so called"liberal" justices do.

Gorsuch has occasionally raised eyebrows on the right --e.g., the McGirt v Oklahoma native lands opinion-- although not on the usual hot button issues (or, not yet). So no one is likely to call him another David Souter any time soon and make it stick.

Barrett may have made a point so far of not being entirely predictable but she went to her interview commended as a guaranteed overturn vote on Roe v Wade. She could surprise on some other matters that come to the high court, probably in the same way Alito does some times. English is English. Some of the Constitution and the acompanying precedents in the way of interpretation are pretty plain text, so an originalist is not going to spend a lot of time conjuring up a "more original" or more right-leaning take when it's just not there.

Roberts himself is no liberal. He's only looking to see that the court's decisions overall on his watch do not end up screaming ALWAYS FLAMING RIGHT in big neon letters. He disappointed Americans on gutting the VRA but sadly enough, that was expected. He had never made a secret of his lean there.

Thomas is Thomas, yeah.

And Kavanaugh, well... the questions he asks as followups are one thing but the opinions he writes usually confirm him as a partisan parser of both the issue(s) and the law under scrutiny. He is never going to be a David Souter. His entire SCOTUS career will feature some undertow from how he still perceives his confirmation hearings as hyperpartisan Democrats' amplification of, uh, youthful indiscretions. He thought the Ds brought hyperpartisanship to the panel from the upshot and his fury will never fade, even if some of it is displaced anger at himself for his own past behavior. He may intend to take it out on America until he drops. But i am not at all sure how his "lean" might develop if he can put down his cudgel after awhile and focus on the law with the mind his education helped him develop. One can also hope he ratchets down the booze intake he's been fond of in the past. He remains a sort of black box to me really. I do find his questions interesting and the contrast of those to some of his eventual opinions.

Top Bottom
1 2