The Republican Agenda 2021 and Forward

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can loathe the Republican Party any more than I do. Whatever their agenda is for 2024, their wrap for 2022 doesn't seem to include a continuation of the child tax credit that had dramatically reduced child poverty while it was permitted to exist.

As usual both parties were delighted to hang all kinds of ornaments on the defense spending part of the omnibus bill, that spend got ratcheted up to $858 billion. But $12 billion for child tax credit re-up, "no way," say the Republicans.

Why is it the Dems cave into these unconscionable objections, and yet they go along with spreading nearly a trillion bucks around all 50 states to make sure everyone's defense industry cow gets a little hay.

Do the Rs think there are any red states that lack "enough" child poverty? Do they even care?

EDIT: and then there's this little detail w/ respect to draconian limits on abortion rights:

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can loathe the Republican Party any more than I do. Whatever their agenda is for 2024, their wrap for 2022 doesn't seem to include a continuation of the child tax credit that had dramatically reduced child poverty while it was permitted to exist.

As usual both parties were delighted to hang all kinds of ornaments on the defense spending part of the omnibus bill, that spend got ratcheted up to $858 billion. But $12 billion for child tax credit re-up, "no way," say the Republicans.

Why is it the Dems cave into these unconscionable objections, and yet they go along with spreading nearly a trillion bucks around all 50 states to make sure everyone's defense industry cow gets a little hay.

Do the Rs think there are any red states that lack "enough" child poverty? Do they even care?

EDIT: and then there's this little detail w/ respect to draconian limits on abortion rights:

They don’t give a good God Damn about childhood poverty for “unworthy citizens”. 🤬

lizkat

Reaction score
They don’t give a good God Damn about childhood poverty for “unworthy citizens”. 🤬

That's right. The omnibus bill in total is $1.7 TRILLION and the GOP won't tack in $12 BILLION to extend child tax credit.

To put that in a little perspective over time, the total cost of the infernal F35 program alone is estimated to run as high as $1.508 trillion. Pols on both sides of the aisle have winked and blinked their way through the vast sums of overruns for corrections and fixes and licks and promises for years, and yet we can't put a floor back under impoverished American children.

Sometimes I fantasize about replacing the entire Congress with people grabbed up off the street. Yeah even in the age of Donald Trump and a whole new kind of know-nothingism.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I think this says everything anyone needs to know about our current GOP.
And they know it’s a bad look. So they managed to get The NY Times to publish an op-ed from an American Enterprise Institute writer. He made the painful, labored, and transparently oligarch-serving argument that the child tax credit expansion would somehow be bad for the economy.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
If this is real, then its right up there with the Jewish Space Lasers.

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 9.06.39 AM.png

lizkat

Reaction score
A bright spot for a change: Arizona's outgoing GOP governor Ducey has agreed to remove the makeshift southern border "wall" he illegally began constructing out of double-stacked cargo containers... following a lawsuit filed by the Biden administration. The real stupidity is that the government had already agreed to fill in gaps in the wall along there but the makeshift thing put up by Ducey actually endangers LEO since they can't see what's happening on the other side. So millions of bucks have been funneled to some Florida outfit to put that weird thing together and millions more will now be dispensed to take it down so DHS can contract for a proper replacement, which will cost yet more money. Punchline: 70 wildlife cams along there in the tribal and protected wildlife region show little migrant activity anyway. The per capita cost of keeping them out must be enough to qualify them as venture capitalists, no?

NYT link (paywall removed)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
makes my wife want to burn his cd's
The only thing worse than his attitude is his guitar playing, I'll never see how someone like that gets any coverage but the right doesn't have many celebs so they'll take what they can get.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Pawns in a game

the temperature in DC was in the teens.

I would compare Abbott to an excretory orifice, but it would be unkind to the noble sphincter.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Pawns in a game

I would compare Abbott to an excretory orifice, but it would be unkind to the noble sphincter.
Abbott and their lack of regulations have plunged Texas into darkness as well, these guys love America but couldn't give a shit about those who actually live in it.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Santos won't be addressing the allegations against him any time next week or in the future. Probably will use the standard "On the advice of legal counsel..."

CBS News has spoken with a pastor, Father Jose Carlos da Silva, of Saint Rita's Catholic Church, in Long Island City, Queens, who says he knew Santos' family, the Devolders, well. The Devolders came to the church once in a while, he told CBS News. The family, including George Santos, was Catholic, says da Silva.

He also said that when Santos' mother, Fatima Devolder, died in 2016, Santos approached him to ask for help from the church. Da Silva had ministered to the family during Devolder's illness, and soon after she died, Santos told da Silva that the family couldn't afford a funeral.

A memorial mass was held at the church, which held a collection for the family. Da Silva said he didn't count the money collected, but recalled that the amount raised was significant, and that he handed the collection directly to Santos. But da Silva's portrayal of the family's financial condition is at odds with the biography presented by Santos.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Pawns in a game

I think the more apt comparison is to what exits through said orifice.

Top Bottom
1 2