Waiting for and/or enjoying my M1 Pro/Max MBP thread…

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm waiting.

...impatiently. 😐

I ordered right away, but I had to re-try many times before the order would go through. Each minute that ticked by was another few days delay in the shipment.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I ordered right away, but I had to re-try many times before the order would go through. Each minute that ticked by was another few days delay in the shipment.

I won't even be ordering mine until after the Christmas gift giving money crunch. That's why I'm impatiently waiting on you to get yours. I intend to live through you vicariously. :p

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
Me too… till I realized I missed the opportunity to order via edu store; so I cancelled. Had to wait till the credit card was cleared to be able to order again. Me being stupid caused a 3-4 weeks delay 🥴🥴 (but saved 600 approx)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Me too… till I realized I missed the opportunity to order via edu store; so I cancelled. Had to wait till the credit card was cleared to be able to order again. Me being stupid caused a 3-4 weeks delay 🥴🥴 (but saved 600 approx)

Seems worth it

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if Apple ought to remove "Pro" from their models. The lightweight model is the MacBook Air. Why not just call the alternative "MacBook", because "Our normal model is that good".

I have a feeling that when the new airs (finally redesigned) come out, there will be room for a return of the “MacBook.” Maybe below the Air in the lineup.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I have a feeling that when the new airs (finally redesigned) come out, there will be room for a return of the “MacBook.” Maybe below the Air in the lineup.
Do you even remember the days when the Apple lineup had a bunch of numbers after the names, like the Performa 6350 was different from the Performa 6375 because … some obscure reason. The person who misses those good old days is someone other than me.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Do you even remember the days when the Apple lineup had a bunch of numbers after the names, like the Performa 6350 was different from the Performa 6375 because … some obscure reason. The person who misses those good old days is someone other than me.
Yep. At exponential we were testing our processor by modifying those performa 6—- boxes with new motherboards containing our own chip and custom roms (our cpu required a different boot sequence). A few of those boxes still exist, squirreled away in the homes of former cpu designers….

If I remember correctly, that chip had around 2.7 million transistors. Only 700k were bipolar and the rest were MOSFETS. The logic was almost entirely bipolar and the FETS were mostly for memory structures. I owned the floating point and floating point interface units, initially designed by another guy, which accounted for around 40 percent of the logic, at least by area, if I recall correctly (floating point multipliers and dividers are big). Hard to compare bipolar to cmos transistor count. We did a bunch of differential logic, though a lot was single-ended as well. You can sometimes get a lot more logic functionality in fewer transistors when you use bipolar. On the other hand, sometimes you need to do a lot of level shifting and use up transistors for that.
I digress.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I happened to click on my tracking status today. Still expected by the 9th, but will be delivered by 7pm tomorrow.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Have you tried clicking more aggressively? Maybe that’ll help? Looking forward to the review!
I think it helps to get theyayarealoisnochircoh to thank you for adding to threads. Unfortunately, that's elsewhere.

Top Bottom
1 2