Weather

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Our weather has been rather springlike this past week. It is not until late May/early June that we (nomally) get hit by the cold weather. It will be in the mid-50s, but it will somehow chill to the bone. Right now, 45° is quite comfortable, so it is kind of hard to suss. I suspect it is just my body, saying, "Hey! This ain't right!"

I understand exactly what you're saying. So weird to feel 35ºF here now as a spring day but when a 50º day pops up in June, I'm whining about having put away my parka. I may like the change of seasons, but my body seems a bit less of a fan.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Our weather has been rather springlike this past week. It is not until late May/early June that we (nomally) get hit by the cold weather. It will be in the mid-50s, but it will somehow chill to the bone. Right now, 45° is quite comfortable, so it is kind of hard to suss. I suspect it is just my body, saying, "Hey! This ain't right!"
March has been joyful this year (Houston) , cool mornings and temps in the 60-70s.

lizkat

Reaction score
We're getting from March this year the same rollercoaster we had in February, just the whole graph of temperatures have shifted up a tad, i.e. highs are above normal, lows below normal but now we don't' get down below zero any more. Even so, after this week of pretty spring-like weather, our overnights will pop back down to around 15-18ºF starting next week, probably through end of the month. No wonder we don't see robins around here any more in March, even in flocks, never mind claiming turf and mates.

Oh well. There are only so many more snowstorms Canada can throw at us in the next 11 days, one can hope. Another year of carpenters who plow snow in winter going bust over no snow to speak of... I think i will end up having had driveways plowed only five or six times all season.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I must be getting old as these past 2 days have shown. Mostly sunny in the low 60's. But for some reason I felt cold, then hot. There was a nice breeze, but when the sun was out, it was too hot in a long sleeve, but when the clouds moved in, it was too cold for the long sleeves. Ten years ago I would have been out there in shorts and a t-shirt washing the car.

So I figured I would take my SXS over to the shop and do some work on it. Got there and one of employees already had his truck up on the rack. Oh well. I helped him for a while and came home and piddled in the heated garage.

Tomorrow and Tuesday are supposed to be in the 70's. Maybe I won't get cold.

lizkat

Reaction score
Tomorrow and Tuesday are supposed to be in the 70's. Maybe I won't get cold.

For me the trick is to remember that 70s and sun are all just chance and not really "a thing" during this time of year. So tempting on those days to think I could set out some early peas. Did that one year and we got a blizzard on April 11. My sister's FIL lived next door then and was laughing at me when I was sowing the peas. "They can take a joke," he said, "but they can't fetch a parka to help laugh off a major mistake." Didn't take me long to learn to find other things to do around the yard in April. 🤪

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I remember the first time I went to San Francisco. It was the summer of 2006 and I heard some guy walking down the street talking about how they were in the middle of a heat wave. It was like 90 lol It felt fine to me.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Woo! We had a non-stop line of storms and they finally cleared out, looks like a few days of some pretty tasty weather:

1648227250989.png

lizkat

Reaction score
Woo! We had a non-stop line of storms and they finally cleared out, looks like a few days of some pretty tasty weather

We're going in the other direction I guess. All the snow, even the driveway glaciers, have melted away and I've seen one robin and finally heard a red-winged blackbird. But they're gonna be sorry they showed up. Our weather is headed to another really cold snap.

Gonna snow here on Sunday, then get windy and drop down to 11ºF for two nights. At the end of March?! People are already out raking up the debris from their depleted woodpiles and now they'll be trying to burn it instead of tossing it over the stone wall to let it become nesting material for birds and other critters.

People are trying to find Punxatawney Phil and teach him how long is six more weeks of winter, on account of he seems to have different ideas on how long is either a week or a winter. Ugh!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
People are trying to find Punxatawney Phil and teach him how long is six more weeks of winter, on account of he seems to have different ideas on how long is either a week or a winter. Ugh!

He definitely needs a good flogging. ;)

But what in the #cornbreadhell is going on today? It is snowing. It was 80 earlier in the week, and will be 80 this coming week.

lizkat

Reaction score
Just rain here, thank goodness, but yep, a lot colder than it has been recently. Old Man Winter seems to keep staging repeat "grand finale" exits!

We just had a ten minute hailstorm. Yeah. Grape sized hail. Geez. Supposed to snow for 13 hours late tonight into tomorrow afternoon. Honest to God, that woodchuck better have a good hiding place because I'm ready to get real about hunting him down and shipping him to Siberia.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The rain we had the previous week has been saving us from the __insane__ pollen levels around here, and it's the early spring double whammy of both tree and grass pollens.

1648480825476.png

That big deep into the green was the rain last week ... :cautious:

1648480885478.png

lizkat

Reaction score
What we're having in the Catskills is a serious test of our tolerance of lingering winter.

Mid-teens in the overnights this late into March is insane. Think my robin has flown 40 miles south again for awhile....

Don't blink, spring will be Thursday.jpg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The weather’s crazy again here. 77 degrees, but the wind is so strong it doesn’t matter. Yesterday I came out of the pool because of the wind.

Top Bottom
1 2