Weather

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
We've got a cold spell coming in just in time for Easter. 40s tomorrow and the first half of next week. Then it will get back into the 60s and 70s.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
When did we end up with 75 different moon names? It seems like there have been a couple dozen special moons in the last couple years. When I was a kid the moon was “full” and that was about as special as it got.

The blue moon was the only one I remember hearing much about when I was a kid, which was, well, apparently quite rare.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
When did we end up with 75 different moon names?
Dysnomia, Xiangliu, Weywot, Hi'iaka, Namaka, Hydra , Kerberos , Nix , Styx , Pluto~Charon, Neso , Psamathe, Laomedeia, Sao, Halimede, Nereid, Triton, Proteus, Hippocamp, Larissa, Galatea, Despina, Thalassa, Naiad, Ferdinand, Setebos, Prospero, Margaret, Sycorax, Trinculo, Stephano, Caliban, Francisco, Francisco, Oberon, Titania, Umbriel, Ariel, Miranda, Mab, Puck, Perdita, Belinda, Cupid, Rosalind, Portia, Juliet, Desdemona, Cressida, Bianca, Ophelia, Cordelia, Fornjot, Ymir, Loge, Surtur, Fenrir, Kari, Aegir, Hati, Bestla, Farbauti, Thrymr, Hyrrokkin, Greip, Mundilfari, Bergelmir, Narvi, Jarnsaxa, Suttungr, Albiorix, Bebhionn, Erriapus, Skoll, Tarqeq, Siarnaq, Tarvos, Polydeuces, Rhea, Titan, Hyperion, Iapetus, Kiviuq, Ijiraq, Phoebe, Paaliaq, Skathi, Pan, Daphnis, Atlas, Prometheus, Pandora, Epimetheus, Janus, Aegaeon, Mimas, Methone, Anthe, Pallene, Enceladus, Tethys, Telesto, Calypso, Dione, Helene, Sponde, Megaclite, Cyllene, Sinope, Aoede, Autonoe, Callirrhoe, Kore, Kalyke, Hegemone, Pasiphae, Isonoe, Kallichore, Erinome, Kale, Eirene, Aitne, Eukelade, Arche, Taygete, Carme, Herse, Eupheme, Mneme, Euanthe, Harpalyke, Orthosie, Helike, Praxidike, Thelxinoe, Thyone, Ananke, Iocaste, Hermippe, Philophrosyne, Pasithee, Eurydome, Chaldene, Eupheme, Mneme, Euanthe, Harpalyke, Orthosie, Helike, Praxidike, Thelxinoe, Thyone, Ananke, Iocaste, Hermippe, Philophrosyne, Pasithee, Eurydome , Euporie, Ersa, Himalia, Pandia, Lysithea, Elara, Dia, Carpo, Valetudo, Leda, Themisto, Callisto, Ganymede, Europa, Io, Thebe, Amalthea, Adrastea, Metis, Deimos, Phobos, Luna

(yes, I have some sanity issues)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Well tonight you have the Breaking Ice Moon. So spring should be here soon. I'm just worried we will skip spring and go straight to summer.

Me too. That was the trend last year too, around here. We're due for four inches of slush and snow Monday into Tuesday, I'd love it if that forecast gets moderated into something like "scattered flurries"...

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well tonight you have the Breaking Ice Moon. So spring should be here soon. I'm just worried we will skip spring and go straight to summer.

When did we end up with 75 different moon names? It seems like there have been a couple dozen special moons in the last couple years. When I was a kid the moon was “full” and that was about as special as it got.

The blue moon was the only one I remember hearing much about when I was a kid, which was, well, apparently quite rare.

And it has nothing to do with the color of the moon. It is when there are 2 full moons in a calendar month.

The one growing up was the harvest moon. Double sized, bright moon in September.

Interesting reading:

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Me too. That was the trend last year too, around here. We're due for four inches of slush and snow Monday into Tuesday, I'd love it if that forecast gets moderated into something like "scattered flurries"...

For us down here, the days from late March to the middle of May is the Season of Sudden Death From The Sky.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Snow for us tomorrow or Monday. But that's April sometimes. Once we had a serious blizzard on April 11, so far the snow hits this year in April have been minor jokes compared to that. It's supposed to moderate back to real spring again towards end of next week. Looking for those daffodils amid rain showers in the meantime.
My son was born in Ohio on April 9. We brought him home from the hospital on the 13th (which 4 years later would be his sister’s birthday), and it was snowing like crazy in Toledo. Needless to say, four years later when my daughter came along in Alabama, it was a beautiful, warm, summer day.

lizkat

Reaction score
My son was born in Ohio on April 9. We brought him home from the hospital on the 13th (which 4 years later would be his sister’s birthday), and it was snowing like crazy in Toledo. Needless to say, four years later when my daughter came along in Alabama, it was a beautiful, warm, summer day.

One of my nextgen kin was nearly born in a Volkswagen bug in late January in a snowstorm. The mama told her husband to drive faster because the car could take more of a joke on winter roads than she'd be able to laugh off in the back seat of that car. They made it to the hospital just in time!

Anyway she'd have said you had a good idea picking Alabama for the next round.

lizkat

Reaction score
And it has nothing to do with the color of the moon. It is when there are 2 full moons in a calendar month.

The one growing up was the harvest moon. Double sized, bright moon in September.

And it's true they keep cutting the corn right through the night if they have to do it to beat incoming weather.

lizkat

Reaction score
Waiting for the forecast to finalize on this incoming snow dump. Lately they're saying 5-11 inches, which is quite a spread, so who knows. If we're lucky we won't be right where one of those 3 inches per hour gigs decides to park for awhile.

Anyway snow supposed to start by 5pm and keep on keepin' on until noon tomorrow.

Impossible to plow driveways out in the boondocks now, the ground is thawed or nearly so and guys took the blades off their trucks already. Usually that doesn't matter but then usually we don't get a foot of snow at this point either. Oh well. Warming up by the weekend so we can move on to flood warnings!

lizkat

Reaction score
Beautiful Earth Day morning. Pouring rain here in the Bay and I love it 😍

Long overdue, sounds like we'll be going into another dry spell but the last couple of weeks have been huge for us and will hopefully keep us at semi-normal levels throughout the rest of the year.

I'm glad you guys out west are getting that rain, we got 14" of snow here Monday night into Tuesday afternoon and it's melting off very fast now as temps get back into spring territory, so we definitely don't need any more input from above.

What a wacky set of seasons, we hardly got that much snow over the whole winter except for once, and my drives were only plowed four times. This time no one could plow since the ground is already thawed. Every boondocks driveway is a muddy mess at the moment, my bro almost got stuck at the end of mine coming over to check I was ok during the long power outage, which lasted 66 hours here.

My utility company still has 10,000 customers without power in NYS, now in isolated areas where the snow had piled up too deep to get to the first couple days, but that's certainly an improvement from the original 195,000 who initially went dark after all that heavy wet snow brought trees down on lines all over the area. The local utility companies brought in extra crews from New England to give us a hand.

Now that most of us do have electrical power again, we're all waiting to see if we have to pump out our cellars or if the ground had thawed deep enough to take this most recent joke. At least we weren't dealing with a flood already when the snowstorm event occurred. Bright side worth noting.

D

Deleted member 215

It’s only May and 150,000 acres have burned in New Mexico. Widespread drought is going to make this a severe fire season in the Western U.S. (It usually gets started mid-June here in California, so I’m not looking forward to that…)

D

Deleted member 215

Almost 2,000,000 acres burned in BC last year, which was almost as much as what burned in California. BC seems to be moving toward a hot-summer Mediterranean climate where the summer is dry and hot and rain falls only in the winter (normal for California, but unusual for most of BC). California meanwhile is becoming semi-arid and arid and simply turning into Arizona/northern Mexico.

Top Bottom
1 2