What are you doing today?

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
I so missed my German keyboard layouts for years and years but then hit around to using the UK and US layout and have never looked back. The Umlaut key combinations can be learned, it just takes a few days.

Anyway glad you got the interface that works best for you- good keyboards make a lot of difference.

Well, I got used to type on different keyboard layouts over the decades (German, French, Russian, British etc.). Last unforgettable journey was in Finland using a Finnish keyboard for years.

Using the required localization properly with external keyboards is still a problem on many of the devices.

It was the case with Android some years ago, so I had to employ a separate software for the external keyboard to use special characters mapped in the right way. Hail to Google they solved it perfectly over the years. This time pairing and using the external keyboard with the special layouts I need on my Lenovo Yoga Smart Tab was as easy as a pie.

In contrast, the special character mapping in case of an iPhone with an external keyboard is still incorrect in a number of cases. Some characters are "swapped" (i.e. in Hungarian "0" and "í" etc.). So, the iPhone doesn't like external keyboards with certain keyboard layouts. It has been a problem for years by the way, so I decided to write a feedback to Tim Cook's gang once again.

The German localization is similar to the Hungarian in some ways (QWERTZ and not QWERTY).

So, the above half successful fight was the program yesterday in the evening and at night.

The main goal was reached the external keyboard works perfectly with the tablet. It was a necessity as I intend to finish my book concentrating on the content and not on the workaround to type the needed characters.

Eric, in some weeks I will have a brand new Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard ordered on Ebay (same as I have posted earlier) with an original German layout. If you need it, just let me know. It'll be a spare one.

Eric, I almost forgot, unfortunately no Hermès case comes with the keyboard. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Just ordered our 4 free Covid tests, technically the site was supposed to open ordering on the 19th, but it's open now:

1642524630825.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Spent the day in a planning meeting. Discussing what we will be doing over the next 5 years. More of the same tomorrow. Deep joy.

2 day planning meeting to discuss a 5 year plan, hahaha :ROFLMAO:

Feb 1st: "We've decided to make a massive pivot ..."

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
So driving to that training today, I saw billows of black smoke far on the horizon and I wondered.

At first I thought it was a building on fire, but the puffs of smoke looked too small for that. There's a Burger King that's over in that direction, and they do make smoke when they're char-broiling their hamburgers, but this was bigger than that.

I happened to run into some firefighters later in the day and I asked them. They had checked it out because they got several calls about it. Turned out it was a local funeral home. They were cremating somebody. And he was a big guy. 😄

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Well, I got used to type on different keyboard layouts over the decades (German, French, Russian, British etc.). Last unforgettable journey was in Finland using a Finnish keyboard for years.

Using the required localization properly with external keyboards is still a problem on many of the devices.

It was the case with Android some years ago, so I had to employ a separate software for the external keyboard to use special characters mapped in the right way. Hail to Google they solved it perfectly over the years. This time pairing and using the external keyboard with the special layouts I need on my Lenovo Yoga Smart Tab was as easy as a pie.

In contrast, the special character mapping in case of an iPhone with an external keyboard is still incorrect in a number of cases. Some characters are "swapped" (i.e. in Hungarian "0" and "í" etc.). So, the iPhone doesn't like external keyboards with certain keyboard layouts. It has been a problem for years by the way, so I decided to write a feedback to Tim Cook's gang once again.

The German localization is similar to the Hungarian in some ways (QWERTZ and not QWERTY).

So, the above half successful fight was the program yesterday in the evening and at night.

The main goal was reached the external keyboard works perfectly with the tablet. It was a necessity as I intend to finish my book concentrating on the content and not on the workaround to type the needed characters.

Eric, in some weeks I will have a brand new Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard ordered on Ebay (same as I have posted earlier) with an original German layout. If you need it, just let me know. It'll be a spare one.

Eric, I almost forgot, unfortunately no Hermès case comes with the keyboard. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated! I’m now fully settled on the US keyboard on my devices and cannot run a mix of different localisations anymore- that would drive me even more insane than I already am!

Good one with the Hermès case, you even included the accent! [emoji846]

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, and I screwed up the time, hahaha, the's the MOON at 7 o'clock in the morning in the photo above ... ! That's why I posted, it was kind of crazy that big and bright.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Oh, and I screwed up the time, hahaha, the's the MOON at 7 o'clock in the morning in the photo above ... ! That's why I posted, it was kind of crazy that big and bright.

Full moonlight in winter up in the northeast is weird when there's snow on the ground. It's definitely light enough to read a newspaper by it, except that you'd freeze trying to do it. You can feel like you must have missed the day that someone came by and installed streetlights...

Today I'm cruising details in my Sundial app: 2 more days until the sun sets at 5pm, so it's still light until 5:30. A true (maybe one of the few) joys of January.

I'm thinking of what to cook for a festive supper on that evening. Whatever it is needs to be hot since the return of the light definitely doesn't mean it's getting any warmer around here. Another round of double digits below 0ºF on the horizon for late in the week. This January is turning out to be brutal in the overnights lately, even when the days end up with some time above freezing. Thanks, Saskatchewan!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Today I am going to the doctor. Again. I spent all day yesterday talking to the doctor or getting various tests. So far everything has been negative, Baruch HaShem. After this morning’s visit I will call and make an appointment with my oncologist cause there’s no reason I’m this short of breath if my heart’s fine and I have no blood clots.

lizkat

Reaction score
Today I am going to the doctor. Again. I spent all day yesterday talking to the doctor or getting various tests. So far everything has been negative, Baruch HaShem. After this morning’s visit I will call and make an appointment with my oncologist cause there’s no reason I’m this short of breath if my heart’s fine and I have no blood clots.

Holding the best of thoughts and hopes for you!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Good luck with it.

lizkat

Reaction score
Lazing around this afternoon after a morning of assiduous and sometimes tedious cleaning, pressing, trimming and storing of assorted scrap fabrics in the studio.

So... cruising through some magazines, newspapers and blogs and sipping coffee out of a mug that says "Quilting Forever, Housework Whenever". Yeah. A gift from a sister who also quilts...

Speaking of the NASA blog in particular, I'm hoping all goes well on Monday for NASA and the JWST... that's the scheduled date of a final orbit correction burn for the telescope.

The need for correction burns was a built-in feature of the Ariane main rocket launch calculations, to avoid overshooting and ending up forcing the telescope later to do a mission-destructive back-tracking burn later on. Having to backtrack would have required turning the telescope 180 degrees, putting all its optics to face destruction by the Sun while making a burn to get back to a then useless orbit. So yeah, no. What was wanted was to fall slightly short of orbit and apply a few boosts from the telescope's fuel supply. Ah, the maths, eh?

Anyway as we have since learned, the Ariane launch did what was wanted on the main flight so precisely that enough fuel aboard the telescope itself is still left that the expected useful life of the JWST is now about double original expectation.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The very best of luck with it, @Alli, and do take care of yourself.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Paid some bills this morning, bought some beer, mineral water, and dashed into the city, briefly trotting through the farmers' market - where I bought honey from a chap with his own bee hives, (alas, they were out of blood oranges - damn and double damn, I love blood oranges, and worse, I arrived too late for aubergines, as they, too, were sold out).

However, I did manage to pick up my bread in the French bakery.

Top Bottom
1 2