What Movie Are You Watching?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Gunpowder Milkshake (2021) on Netflix. It’s an action movie with a number of well-known female stars. A bunch of tough women take on the old, white male organized crime establishment. I enjoyed it. The violence is pervasive, but feels fake/cartoonish.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets (2002)- wow the kids grew. Dobby, parsel tongue, big snake, spiders, wonderful performance by Kenneth Branagh as Narcissist Gilderoy Lockheart, author of Magical Me, guest incompetent Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts and a perfect villain Jason Isaacs as Luscious Mafoy.

64950D37-D77B-4B68-A683-4C383BE9A614.jpeg

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
"Guardians of the Galaxy". Third time's the charm.

The first two times I tried to watch it (on others' recommendation), I made it about 1/3 in before I got bored. This time I toughed it out, and yes, the movie does get better in the third act.

But it was still rough sledding. Most of the problems I attribute to poor direction.

It was trying too hard. There was frequently a lot of detail in the background, which some may think lends authenticity but I feel makes it look cluttered and distracting. When the backgrounds weren't overly-detailed, they were dark. Man there are a lot of dark interiors in this movie.

Many of the action scenes were so fast it was hard to tell who was doing what to whom. (I could tell, but jesus, did I have to work at it.) Characters really didn't begin to develop and feel real until late in the movie. And the less said about Rocket the better. (Not a big fan of anthropomorphized animals.)

The humor was...okay.

So now I can say I've seen it.

And thanks to @Huntn for the detailed summary.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

The first two times I tried to watch it (on others' recommendation), I made it about 1/3 in before I got bored. This time I toughed it out, and yes, the movie does get better in the third act.

But it was still rough sledding. Most of the problems I attribute to poor direction.

It was trying too hard. There was frequently a lot of detail in the background, which some may think lends authenticity but I feel makes it look cluttered and distracting. When the backgrounds weren't overly-detailed, they were dark. Man there are a lot of dark interiors in this movie.

Many of the action scenes were so fast it was hard to tell who was doing what to whom. (I could tell, but jesus, did I have to work at it.) Characters really didn't begin to develop and feel real until late in the movie. And the less said about Rocket the better. (Not a big fan of anthropomorphized animals.)

The humor was...okay.

Honestly on the first watch of Guardians it took a little adjustment for me to accept this fully as outstanding, but somehow I was assimilated, and as you know now, I think it’s most wonderful. It was the second watch that settled it for me.

It’s your fault: :)
  • Great music,
  • a fairly high humor level
  • Rocket is a complex character
  • PeterQuill’s desire to be notable
  • Gamora and Nebula’s relationship
  • Drax’s loss
  • Yondu the bad father figure
  • and if I’m not mistaken Thanos’s first appearance, at least the first I remember.
  • Ronan and Thanos.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Pulp Fiction (1994)- Brilliant possibly Tarantino’s best, most creative movie, but I’ve not seen all of his movies. Did see Kill Bill Vol 1&2, Django, that WWII alt-reality movie ;), Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, and Hateful Eight.

BF4E09D1-F39E-4E7F-9826-4848565C9516.jpeg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

The humor was...okay.

I thought GotG was a better movie, but GotG Vol. 2 was funnier.

And both had great music.

Cautiously looking forward to Vol. 3, but if they add a bunch of MCU BS to it, I probably won't like it.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Brought from another thread:
Hmm…sort of a plague version of “On the Beach”, eh?

(Double hmm…I wonder if anybody would be more motivated if we started using words like plague instead of pandemic.)
Spoilers if you’ve not seen any of these titles.

I remember the good ole days of Cold War movies. ;) I watched On The Beach as a kid and it struck a nerve, but as I remember it now, after their mission to San Francisco the story just kind of fissiles?

Fail Safe was an eye opener, not that I did not regret seeing as a 9 year old. :) I remember the ambassador to Moscow up on the roof, there are lights to the North and then the shreak of his phone melting, and them dragging that guy‘s wife into the situation room to try to talk him out of bombing Russia and the compromise the President of the US makes to avoid nuclear armageddon. 👀

The Bedford Incident to see Cold War a duel between an American Destroyer captain and a Russian sub the enters US waters.

Finally a must see is Dr Strangelove. :D

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
12 & 13 keep putting me to sleep and I've not seen 8. But I enjoyed 11. I wouldn't put it in the Great Movies bucket, but I'd put it in one called Fun Movies. Plus, I'm a sucker for a good heist movie. 🤷‍♂️

Exactly my thoughts, they're fun, you can tell the stars really enjoying mixing it up together, and they're super self-aware too (heck, 12 is silly meta ...)

I love the double/triple reverse, the big reveal as to what's actually going on, Pacino and Garcia get to chew some serious scenario, the pacing has that great Soderbergh cadence.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Good description. For me it is one of those movies that if it is on, you will turn to it to pass a few minutes.

@Huntn, you watch a lot of movies. :)
Primary escapism from this dull life I lead. :unsure: Even worse for games as I can interact with the environment and AI characters versus just being a viewer.🥳

I can imagine a future where with something the equivalent of simstim (read Neuromancer), a technology that taps into all of your senses and teleports you into an artificial setting, the real VR, instead of watching a movie you could ride along with one of the characters… and people will get lost in virtual worlds if they can afford it.

In the Book Count Zero, there is a trillionaire who spends his physical life in a vat (he is physically sickly) and for all entents and purposes lives in a virtual world of his choosing.

Think of a life, where you never grow old (until you croak for real) have any physical characteristic, any setting you care to hang out in. And since I’m talking future tech, I see a huge market in full relationship AI companions. But now I’m getting too far off the beaten path. ;) I need to start a thread on future tech…

Last edited:

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
12 & 13 keep putting me to sleep and I've not seen 8. But I enjoyed 11. I wouldn't put it in the Great Movies bucket, but I'd put it in one called Fun Movies. Plus, I'm a sucker for a good heist movie. 🤷‍♂️

I love heist movies, so I'm a sucker for the Oceans series. But, I tend to agree, 11 is the best. 12 is messy, while 8 just retreads the same ground as 11, but does have some interesting beats. Oceans 13 is the weakest of the four, by far.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
O12 has that __killer__ scene with Vincent Cassel, that apparently he did most of himself (staying spoiler free ...)

Top Bottom
1 2