What Movie Are You Watching?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow the new Suicide Squad (The ...) movie reviews are trending super fantastic!

1628107565224.png

Opens in theaters this Friday ...

... and also HBOMax! Woo!

U

User.45

The Zimmer soundtrack is amazing, and the overpowering levels are very much by design - often juxtaposed against complete silence (make the lack of sound even more present). Many of the pieces feature a 1926 Harrison & Harrison organ is in itself is a character in the story (including its design, etc.).

Great movie, the one scene, midway through, with McConaughey watching a video (staying spoiler free), holy f-ing hell, that's an amazing, powerful, emotional moment, it's what good sci-fi is about, using the machinations of space and/or time travel and/or alien invasion, and exposing the human condition through it.

Recently rewatched Arrival, FFS, that film __destroys__ me emotionally, the opening and ending, it's as good as it gets (and like Interstellar, so beautiful impacted by the score).
I used to read a lot of Asimov some Lem, Clarke etc. Even though Asimov wrote from the States, somehow he was greenlit in the Eastern Block. I love the smell and illustrations of scifi books from the 60s-70s. You know, Spacer in space suite operating buttons with an alien world reflecting from the helmet's visor. Interstellar really gave me the feel of those scifis. It's just really phenomenal through and through. The other movie that I found as fun as those books was Moon.

The Arrival was great too. The music was super powerful. It's more of a newschool kind of scifi, but it's a good new school.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
I used to read a lot of Asimov some Lem, Clarke etc. Even though Asimov wrote from the States, somehow he was greenlit in the Eastern Block. I love the smell and illustrations of scifi books from the 60s-70s. You know, Spacer in space suite operating buttons with an alien world reflecting from the helmet's visor. Interstellar really gave me the feel of those scifis. It's just really phenomenal through and through. The other movie that I found as fun as those books was Moon.

The Arrival was great too. The music was super powerful. It's more of a newschool kind of scifi, but it's a good new school.

My dad had dozens of science fiction novels stuffed into a file cabinet in the garage, and one summer, I decided to read the entire collection. Among them were Asimov's Foundation series, Herbert's Dune, most of Heinlein's stuff, Bradbury, and Pournelle, early Crichton, Lem, Dean Foster, etc.

The smell of that era of science-fiction novels, printed on cheap acid paper and dust has creates such a strong nostalgic feeling. Everyone should spent a hot summer reading dusty science-fiction novels using a creaky file cabinet as a personal library.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My dad had dozens of science fiction novels stuffed into a file cabinet in the garage, and one summer, I decided to read the entire collection. Among them were Asimov's Foundation series, Herbert's Dune, most of Heinlein's stuff, Bradbury, and Pournelle, early Crichton, Lem, Dean Foster, etc.

The smell of that era of science-fiction novels, printed on cheap acid paper and dust has creates such a strong nostalgic feeling. Everyone should spent a hot summer reading dusty science-fiction novels using a creaky file cabinet as a personal library.

Wow, yeah, I've got dozens and dozens of paperback scifi and fantasy novels, they have the look/feel/smell you described. There was this used bookstore, they did buy/sell/trade, it was a warehouse with shelves, stacks, hahaha, crates, book were everywhere. They did some new stuff, I ordered a few things from them, but mostly, books for like $0.50/each.

I've got many of them packed into a shelf in the "gear closet", maybe I'll shoot a pic later. So much good stuff: Saberhagen, Card, Niven, Heinlein, Douglas Adams, Gibson, Branbury, Clarke (see below), Le Guin, Terry Brooks, Moorcock, PJ Farmer, and on and on ...

So Clarke, Arthur C., when I was in high school, and later for a couple of years in college I worked at a computer store, sold hardware, software, did some network installs, this older woman came into the computer store, was interested in a machine, laser printer, one of those ladies you're not sure is she's wealthy or a bag lady :D

So I did most of the deliveries, I take it out to her house in Ortega (in Jacksonville, FL, near the river/Riverside), she funny, quirky in a good, way - I notice some pics, and whatnot, I know who it is, I casually mention it, she says, "Oh yes, that's Arthur, do you know who he is?"

It was Marilyn Mayfield, aka Marilyn Clarke ... Arthur C. Clarke's ex-wife who he was briefly married to (and married in FL). She had some fun stories, what an interesting snapshot in time :)

Funny enough, she lived right around the corner from the Chamblin Bookmine.

It's still open!

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, she died in 1991, at just 60, that's not long after I met her. Hahaha, she had at least a couple of "tech issues", but I think she just enjoyed the company :)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
As soon as I heard that I knew what I would be doing this weekend. Good thing I bought popcorn when we went grocery shopping yesterday!
Sounds like my collection!
Wow, yeah, I've got dozens and dozens of paperback scifi and fantasy novels, they have the look/feel/smell you described. There was this used bookstore, they did buy/sell/trade, it was a warehouse with shelves, stacks, hahaha, crates, book were everywhere. They did some new stuff, I ordered a few things from them, but mostly, books for like $0.50/each.
We still have a bookstore like that here. We used to go often, especially when my husband was still working and would go out for sea trials. No matter how long he was going out for, he’d pack 3 pairs of underwear and 10 books.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I've kind of learned not to trust the opinions of critics, especially when it comes to superhero films. So it should come as no surprise that despite all the raves from critics who have seen previews, I found "The Suicide Squad" to be no better than a C- film.

Where was all the better plotting, improved character development, etc., that was supposed to make it such a great film?

I'll go into it in more detail this weekend, but right now it's getting late and I don't feel like getting into the weeds of what this movie was and wasn't.

To be continued.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've kind of learned not to trust the opinions of critics, especially when it comes to superhero films. So it should come as no surprise that despite all the raves from critics who have seen previews, I found "The Suicide Squad" to be no better than a C- film.

Where was all the better plotting, improved character development, etc., that was supposed to make it such a great film?

I'll go into it in more detail this weekend, but right now it's getting late and I don't feel like getting into the weeds of what this movie was and wasn't.

To be continued.
Haven’t watched yet, but the trailer doesn’t get me excited. I’ll check it out this weekend.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We are deck, firing it up early since this feels like a 9pm night, hahahaha :D

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Wow the new Suicide Squad (The ...) movie reviews are trending super fantastic!

View attachment 7693

Opens in theaters this Friday ...

For sure.

But the wife hasn't seen Suicide Squad, so we will need to watch it first. But her back is a bit out so no sitting for 2 hours tonight and 2 more hours tomorrow night.

Maybe 1/2 tonight and 1/2 tomorrow night then the offspring gets home Sunday and we can start watching "The" then.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
For sure.

But the wife hasn't seen Suicide Squad, so we will need to watch it first. But her back is a bit out so no sitting for 2 hours tonight and 2 more hours tomorrow night.

Maybe 1/2 tonight and 1/2 tomorrow night then the offspring gets home Sunday and we can start watching "The" then.

You could probably skip the first one, I mean, it's "Government uses bad guys for secret mission so they can disavow any knowledge of it, and they're totally expendable".

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
You could probably skip the first one, I mean, it's "Government uses bad guys for secret mission so they can disavow any knowledge of it, and they're totally expendable".
The new Suicide Squad is designed with "plausible denial".

Meaning it references both the original and the Birds of Prey movie, but doesn't actually mention them.

If you saw the first one and/or Birds, there are 3 or 4 moments that have greater impact, then someone who understandably missed those earlier entries.

Top Bottom
1 2