What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've got a tweener grandson who just watched "Suicide Squad" (the original) with me a few weeks back. He asked me if I'd let him watch this one. That was a hard no. Not just because his parents (however open-minded) would kill me. I just think it's way too violent.

The sex is limited to one brief boob shot and, yeah, childish penis jokes. But the gore level is off the charts. Seriously, it revels in it. Think "Hellraiser", only more of it. A work colleague of mine saw it at the theater, and he said some people were walking out...though he couldn't swear whether it was the violence or the whole movie that caused them to do so.

I'd think a six year old would get nightmares watching the top of someone's head get sliced off. For the sake of comparison, when this same grandson of mine was about nine I tried to watch "Batman" (1989) with him, and when we got to the scene where Jack Napier shoots Carl Grissom to death, he covered his face and asked me to turn it off.

It's funny screening movies for kids. I let my grandson see "Suicide Squad", but I won't let him watch Gotham with me, as much as I'd like to. Why? Well, prostitutes figure into one of the very early episodes, and while I'm sure kids his age talk about sex at school, their conversations are probably uninformed. They've not yet had the sex ed class. So barring that, I, as a grandpa, am not about to explain to him what prostitutes do for a living and why. That's not the place to start a kid's sex education.

Another factor you may want to consider: when we watched "Suicide Squad", I'd judged that he was old enough and smart enough to understand what a black ops site is, why governments justify doing evil things in the name of righteousness, etc. I explained to him about 9/11 and Gitmo and waterboarding just so I was sure he understood why some people justify the existence of black sites and being just as evil as the bad guys. I felt he needed to understand the basic concept underlying the whole movie.

He got that, but it's too heavy for younger kids. You could argue it would go over their heads, but it might leave them confused about what's going on.

Oh...and while I didn't notice it myself, I'm told Weasel's penis appears in two separate shots. 😄
Kids and awareness is interesting. When grandson was 3-4 he just loved Jurassic Park, no fear of ravenous dinos, then older he loved playing Left For Dead a great Xbox zombie shooter, so about 7, I’m thinking Shaun of the Dead, a comedy no problem, but when a character got pulled out a window into a group of zombies to be eaten, with some guts being removed, he had enough and left the room. We laugh about that now, he’s 19. :)

As you know standards have drastically changed in the last 60 years. I think there are things in movies now that would make a 1950s crowd lose their collective minds, but I was not in movie going mode until the 60s. As a 10 year old I was terrified of titles like The Thing From Outer Space, Caltiki the immortal monster, The Crawling Eye, but sometimes compensated with a piece of clothing over my head so I could peek if I thought it was safe to do so. ;)

As far as the 6 year old today, I would push that she not watch Suicide Squad, but honestly, I don’t know what she watches at home as a matter of routine. :unsure:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Space Cowboys (2000)- Good story that does not exceed my suspension of disbelief ;) :p, about 4 old fogeys robbed of their space missions in the late 50’s, 40 years later are tasked with a mission to rescue a Russian communication satellite that’s not what it appears to be. Clint Eastwood was 70 when he directed and starred in this.

10C6C0EE-7EFF-4056-8370-09F4BBC44EC2.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Real Steel (2011)- Enjoyable near future story about robot fighting starring Wolver-ah, Hugh Jackman a down and out boxer/puppet master who along with his forgotten about kid, take a antique sparring bot into the fight circuit.

5EDFEBE7-83D3-4027-ACE8-680E479CD56B.jpeg

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've got a tweener grandson who just watched "Suicide Squad" (the original) with me a few weeks back. He asked me if I'd let him watch this one. That was a hard no. Not just because his parents (however open-minded) would kill me. I just think it's way too violent.

The sex is limited to one brief boob shot and, yeah, childish penis jokes. But the gore level is off the charts. Seriously, it revels in it. Think "Hellraiser", only more of it. A work colleague of mine saw it at the theater, and he said some people were walking out...though he couldn't swear whether it was the violence or the whole movie that caused them to do so.

I'd think a six year old would get nightmares watching the top of someone's head get sliced off. For the sake of comparison, when this same grandson of mine was about nine I tried to watch "Batman" (1989) with him, and when we got to the scene where Jack Napier shoots Carl Grissom to death, he covered his face and asked me to turn it off.

It's funny screening movies for kids. I let my grandson see "Suicide Squad", but I won't let him watch Gotham with me, as much as I'd like to. Why? Well, prostitutes figure into one of the very early episodes, and while I'm sure kids his age talk about sex at school, their conversations are probably uninformed. They've not yet had the sex ed class. So barring that, I, as a grandpa, am not about to explain to him what prostitutes do for a living and why. That's not the place to start a kid's sex education.

Another factor you may want to consider: when we watched "Suicide Squad", I'd judged that he was old enough and smart enough to understand what a black ops site is, why governments justify doing evil things in the name of righteousness, etc. I explained to him about 9/11 and Gitmo and waterboarding just so I was sure he understood why some people justify the existence of black sites and being just as evil as the bad guys. I felt he needed to understand the basic concept underlying the whole movie.

He got that, but it's too heavy for younger kids. You could argue it would go over their heads, but it might leave them confused about what's going on.

Oh...and while I didn't notice it myself, I'm told Weasel's penis appears in two separate shots. 😄
In the new SS, I’m pretty sure I remember full frontal male nudity (not Weasel) in the first act, when they’re attacking a camp of soldiers. I hope I didn’t make that up in my head somehow.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
As a 10 year old I was terrified of titles like The Thing From Outer Space, Caltiki the immortal monster, The Crawling Eye, but sometimes compensated with a piece of clothing over my head so I could peek if I thought it was safe to do so. ;)
I can remember watching The Outer Limits from behind a living room chair. I even remember the episode that scared me so much.

tol.gif

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It wasn't the actual movie, but a real-life scene from a movie.

Did anyone watch the MLB Field of Dreams game last night? It starts with Kevin Costner talking about the movie and then he walks into a cornfield and then walks back out of the cornfield onto the baseball diamond, soon to be followed by all the players coming out of the corn. It was really well done.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I can remember watching The Outer Limits from behind a living room chair. I even remember the episode that scared me so much.

I __love__ The Outer Limits, sure they had limited budgets (and from our perspective in 2021 some of the tech/science might make you chuckle), but the writing was top notch, terrific acting (by so many recognizable stars), and honestly, even given the tiny funding for FX, they generally were pretty fantastic for the mid-60s.

We don't get much thoughtful, speculative, sci-fi like this anymore.

FWIW, that scene is from the EP titled: It Crawled Out of the Woodwork

Two of the best EPs, were written by Harlan Ellison (in my Top 5 favorite authors), Demon With a Glass Hand and Soldier - the consensus being the latter was the inspiration for The Terminator (there was legal gyrations, etc., and you'll now see the end credits have "We gratefully acknowledge the work of Harlan Ellison").

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
In the new SS, I’m pretty sure I remember full frontal male nudity (not Weasel) in the first act, when they’re attacking a camp of soldiers. I hope I didn’t make that up in my head somehow.
I think I’d have noticed that.
That show constantly gave me nightmares! But I refused to miss an episode.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

There is, during the raid on the camp.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's super quick, one of the soldiers comes out of a tent, or jump up from bed or something.

@35:20, you know, because I aim to please :D

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Did anyone watch the MLB Field of Dreams game last night? It starts with Kevin Costner talking about the movie and then he walks into a cornfield and then walks back out of the cornfield onto the baseball diamond, soon to be followed by all the players coming out of the corn. It was really well done.
I missed it... I meant to watch, but I forgot...

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score

Never watched the movie. I watched the game in bits (can't stand FOX & B---). Loved the beginning with Costner and the players, and how the field transformed with sunset. Too bad for my Yanks ultimately :(

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
But what an ending. Walk-off HR into the corn and fireworks. MLB couldn't have scripted it better.
Obviously not one I wanted. But it was fantastic after the Yanks got two two-run dingers in the top of the 9th. Leaving a platoon of men on base and shoddy relief outings will be the death of me this season.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Out of Time (2021)- Saw this on Prime Video. Not related to the Out of Time (2003) starring Denzil Washington. Instead, this is like watching a 1950s LOW budget made for TV, B movie that could not find a network to broadcast it. Includes minimalist budget CGI. Yet I found myself watching it to the end. :unsure:

1B8A115D-0C5F-4E35-9570-5751B984716C.png
Notice the quality of artwork…​
Three aliens from 1950 secret govt facility, escape through a time portal to the present followed by an FBI agent. Their goal is to conquer the Earth by calling home to let the alien armada know where they are.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
From Russia with Love. The first time my kids are watching James Bond. It didn’t age as well as I thought.

Top Bottom
1 2