What Movie Are You Watching?

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of my Voice. I'd forgotten how varied her career had been. I'd even seen her performance in The Pirates of Penzance, back in the day.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
“The Omega Man” (HBOMax, but leaving soon).

To my mind, the best of the three film versions. (The other two were “Last Man on Earth” and “I Am Legend”.) Dated in slang, cars, etc., but otherwise holds up very well. Especially now.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
“The Omega Man” (HBOMax, but leaving soon).

To my mind, the best of the three film versions. (The other two were “Last Man on Earth” and “I Am Legend”.) Dated in slang, cars, etc., but otherwise holds up very well. Especially now.

Don't forget the most amazing one: I Am Omega (2007)

Hahaha, from the always reliable Asylum studios - for those NITK, they're responsible for a huge run of "mockbusters", basically super low budget, usually painfully bad, knockoffs of blockbuster movies, Some other notable titles:

Atlantic Rim
Transmorphers
Paranormal Entity
Almighty Thor

Though they also brought us, the original, and classic:

Sharknado (and sequels)

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Jupiter Ascending - Made by the Wachowskis... lots of cool special effects, zero character development, absurd glued-on goatee on Channing Tatum. Mila Kunis’ acting totally wasted on a 2-dimensional female character whose only role is to be tricked by the villain and then saved by the male lead.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Jupiter Ascending - Made by the Wachowskis... lots of cool special effects, zero character development, absurd glued-on goatee on Channing Tatum. Mila Kunis’ acting totally wasted on a 2-dimensional female character whose only role is to be tricked by the villain and then saved by the male lead.

Oh it's so beautiful and so terrible. It was like they wanted to create a modern, new age "fairy tale", but missed that mark too - it's not deconstructed enough, but as a straight forward "sci-fi / fantasy" it's incredibly vapid.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Speaking of Mila Kunis ... Bad Moms is on pretty regular rotation around here (and BM2 is in our standard Xmas playlist ...)

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Don't forget the most amazing one: I Am Omega (2007)

Hahaha, from the always reliable Asylum studios - for those NITK, they're responsible for a huge run of "mockbusters", basically super low budget, usually painfully bad, knockoffs of blockbuster movies, Some other notable titles:

Atlantic Rim
Transmorphers
Paranormal Entity
Almighty Thor

Though they also brought us, the original, and classic:

Sharknado (and sequels)
Never heard of it. How ‘bout that.

I see it’s got a big 3.3 rating on IMDb. 😄

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Never heard of it. How ‘bout that.

I see it’s got a big 3.3 rating on IMDb. 😄

Hahaha, IMDB is being generous :D

I'm a huge fan of the original novel, Matheson wrote some amazing stuff, contributed to quite a bit of television, and really had a lasting imprint on sci-fi/horror/fantasy. He also wrote Stir of Echoes and What Dreams May Come, that were made into two pretty excellent movie adaptations. The latter is bit controversial, it's a very abstract, but emotionally complex film, Stir of Echoes is just straight up terrific, killer performances, scary, touching, great reveals, could've been an MNS film.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Jaws III”.

What can I say? It was on this weekend and I watched it out of morbid curiosity.

I remember when it came out as “Jaws 3D”…especially when they started having dismembered heads float at you in the water…with really big matte lines. 😄

Also if you watched carefully even the people were fringed in red and blue. Obviously the 3D-to-2D conversion suffered from imperfect registration.

The plot? I couldn’t tell you. Something about Sea World. I got bored and switched channels.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Prometheus (2012)- Beautiful cinematography, some answers provided in this Alien Cinematic Universe prequel featuring another suspect Android. Just remember they just do what they are programmed to… mostly. ;) Hard to believe this movie is already almost a decade past.

F57A7B03-43AE-40FC-9596-03CA9321DFB2.jpeg

• Take off your helmets, really? It’s an alien planet. :unsure:
  • How did they get lost? The place is mapped.
  • Oh, such a cute little alien worm. One of the most single stupid events in any horror movie. :D
  • A C-section you don’t want to remember.

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
...I'm a huge fan of the original novel, Matheson wrote some amazing stuff, contributed to quite a bit of television, and really had a lasting imprint on sci-fi/horror/fantasy. He also wrote Stir of Echoes and What Dreams May Come, that were made into two pretty excellent movie adaptations.

I saw "What Dreams May Come" years ago with Mrs. Veil, thinking she might like it because of Robin Williams. Didn't realize it was going to turn out to be such a dark and depressing film. I don't think she enjoyed it as much as I did.

Matheson is great. I have several collections of his short stories. I know he adapted one or two for Dan Curtis, and also wrote one or two originals for him.

My favorite tidbit about him, however, involves "The Night Stalker" and its sequel, "The Night Strangler". The former was originally a novel by Jeff Rice, and when it was bought for TV it was turned over to an experienced scriptwriter--Matheson--to pen the screenplay. Then when it became the highest-rated TV movie ever (at that time), they quickly commissioned a sequel...where the creative process worked in reverse. Matheson wrote an original screenplay for the sequel, which Jeff Rice then turned into a novelization.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Disney trying to profit and cheat people out of money? Shocking!

Taking a quick spin back to proper compensation. It isn't just Disney.

What's interesting is that this kind of thing is a factor in what may become a big change in comics, as SOME creators who are currently responsible for the ( 2 ) biggest selling storylines in ( DC & Marvel ) comics right now are choosing to leave DC & Marvel. Why? They will get paid very well, and benefit from the fruits of their labor if someone else uses their work.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow the new Suicide Squad (The ...) movie reviews are trending super fantastic!

View attachment 7693

Opens in theaters this Friday ...

... and also HBOMax! Woo!
Wow, 91% Critic, 84% Audience rating at RT. 👀 It must be watched. With the cost of online streaming of new movies, a 1 month HBOMax subscription appears be in order. For the purpose of streaming, with teenagers <18 in attendance is there nudity or sex?

Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Wow, 91% Critic, 84% Audience rating at RT. 👀 It must be watched. With the cost of online streaming of new movies, a 1 month HBOMax subscription appears be in order. For the purpose of streaming, with teenagers <18 in attendance is there nudity or sex?
Just violence, gore, profanity, and John Cena.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just violence, gore, profanity, and John Cena.
Good to go, lol! I heard the dick pizza comment…:D
I watched Birds of Prey (2020)- I like Harley Quinn, and Margot Robbie who plays her, but was unimpressed by that movie, fingers crossed for better this time.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Speaking of violent movies ...

We __finally__ saw Kill List, I've tried to track it down for a while, did a week free trial for AMC+ where it was available :D

Holy hell, it's gory and it's very violent, might sound weird to differentiate, but a goofball in a costume running across a beach getting his head blown off is different than someone being savagely beat with a hammer in a super realistic setting.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hahaha, JC in his tighty whiteys ... :D

Gore, yes, it is SUPER gory. Is 18 the sex in movies cutoff? We must be terrible parents :D
One of the possible viewers would be 6… gore and violence, after decades of sanitized violence for kids, not really an issue for her parents or us really. The other two are teens, and while they may watch sex on their own, I would hesitate to sit them down to the R full nudity grinding, humping, oral scene.

Then I started thinking that although most cinema comic book stories tend to remain in the PG13 range, so with this as an R (non-sanitized gore) movie, thought I’d check about the nudity, sex.

Funny thing years ago some friends were visiting with their kids 10ish years old, and True Lies was on TV. I remember dashing to the remote to mute the Arnold-Bill Paxton Corvette scene where it was mentioned the vet makes them wet, and something about buttermilk. Then there was the hot Jamie Curtis dance scene, and I mean hot. They got to enjoy that and… I remember the disapproving looks from the adults In the room. :D

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
One of the possible viewers would be 6… gore and violence, after decades of sanitized violence for kids, not really an issue for her parents or us really. The other two are teens, and while they may watch sex on their own, I would hesitate to sit them down to the R full nudity grinding, humping, oral scene....
I've got a tweener grandson who just watched "Suicide Squad" (the original) with me a few weeks back. He asked me if I'd let him watch this one. That was a hard no. Not just because his parents (however open-minded) would kill me. I just think it's way too violent.

The sex is limited to one brief boob shot and, yeah, childish penis jokes. But the gore level is off the charts. Seriously, it revels in it. Think "Hellraiser", only more of it. A work colleague of mine saw it at the theater, and he said some people were walking out...though he couldn't swear whether it was the violence or the whole movie that caused them to do so.

I'd think a six year old would get nightmares watching the top of someone's head get sliced off. For the sake of comparison, when this same grandson of mine was about nine I tried to watch "Batman" (1989) with him, and when we got to the scene where Jack Napier shoots Carl Grissom to death, he covered his face and asked me to turn it off.

It's funny screening movies for kids. I let my grandson see "Suicide Squad", but I won't let him watch Gotham with me, as much as I'd like to. Why? Well, prostitutes figure into one of the very early episodes, and while I'm sure kids his age talk about sex at school, their conversations are probably uninformed. They've not yet had the sex ed class. So barring that, I, as a grandpa, am not about to explain to him what prostitutes do for a living and why. That's not the place to start a kid's sex education.

Another factor you may want to consider: when we watched "Suicide Squad", I'd judged that he was old enough and smart enough to understand what a black ops site is, why governments justify doing evil things in the name of righteousness, etc. I explained to him about 9/11 and Gitmo and waterboarding just so I was sure he understood why some people justify the existence of black sites and being just as evil as the bad guys. I felt he needed to understand the basic concept underlying the whole movie.

He got that, but it's too heavy for younger kids. You could argue it would go over their heads, but it might leave them confused about what's going on.

Oh...and while I didn't notice it myself, I'm told Weasel's penis appears in two separate shots. 😄

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2